Suggestions for things that helped in medical school...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'll have to purchase it, but you could probably live with an older version, just make sure to update to the more recent one in spring semester 2nd yr.

Yes, just get First Aid, no biggie if it's a year old (or even two, now that we're in 2015). You will use it for board prep at the end of 2nd year, and it's a great resource for pulling out key points and main scaffolding of the information you'll be taught. It's been great for me now that I'm into systems - didn't find it as useful doing Anatomy & Molecular, there are better resources (Grays Atlas, the BRS Molecular book)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
BRS series and First Aid, Pathoma, Goljan. When you use the last 3 depends on your school curriculum.

Transition to drinking coffee/tea without sugar and cream and all that junk. Hit the gym/jogging trails on a regular basis. Echoing some previous posts, don't get sucked into the drama of Med School High. And yes, your classmates will lie about grades, don't pay attention to them.

OP, you said you're comfortable with your study habits. That's great, but be ready and willing to change to a new system if/when those don't work for you anymore. Med school is a new ballgame.

Things that have made my time in medical school a little easier thus far.

1) Invest in a good slowcooker. Make all of your food in bulk on the weekend. I was spending an hour a day making food before I fixed my mistake.

2) Be flexible in your study habits. I've had to tweak how I study for almost every class. People that are locked into their study methods from undergrad usually struggle.

3) Get into a routine. I have the same basic outline day to day for how I spend my hours studying. When I stray outside of this I feel weird.

4) Set up a solid, isolated study space. Don't put your desk next to your tv. Don't skimp on study materials. Get a nice quality desk, chair, desk lamp, etc and your productivity will be much higher. My battlestation is awesome, and I feel comfortable and motivated just sitting here.

More details...

Members don't see this ad :)
More details...
Ha, well I haven't built a gaming pc for a number of years, so it's rigged up with a maxed out 15" rMBP right now with 23" 1080p Asus monitor hooked up to my gaming console of choice and MBP to watch lectures on. Going to be getting a clamp arm to mount my monitor and stand for my MBP so they're floating above my desk.

My desk is 70" long by 35" deep and I looooove it. Two overhead ottlite CFL desk lamps. Love my setup.

I sympathize because starting medical school last summer, everything was a mystery to me. Save as much money as you can and pay off any credit card debt, because you will have a lot of expenses the first month and your loans don't drop until the first day of class. Definitely figure out how to cook healthy, nutritious meals in bulk. It sounds so silly but it's critical. Figure out an easy to maintain exercise routine. Download a flashcard app and get familiar with it. Realize you are probably going to change up your study routine and be open to it. I thought I would be taking all typed notes but I found that I retain things better when I hand write notes. Don't buy textbooks. You almost definitely will not use them. If you really want to get your brain in gear, read up on memorization techniques and learning styles. You are about to have to process more information than you have ever had in your life. Talk to the second years at your school for advice on each class and the best way to study for it. If you ever find yourself failing, GET HELP. Immediately. Paying for a tutor is nothing compared to failing out and having $100K in debt without a degree. Make friends with classmates is key but so is finding study buddies and they may not be your best friends.... Be open to different study styles and see what works for you. When you find what works, don't panic when you see other people doing something different. I still get anxiety about not going to class and it's 100 percent not effective for my learning because Im so easily distracted, but I always worry I am missing something. When you find a good group, start a Google Drive and share study tools with each other (my school has a Google drive for each class, plus smaller groups have them too).

Reactions: 5 users
learn to drink your coffee black.

first aid from day one

be at the top of your class.

don't get caught up in the social nonsense of medical school.

What social nonsense? Everyone just studies where I go to school. Its nothing like undergrad.

besides Savarese OMM review book and first aid what other books do you guys recommend to have as hard copies ?

besides Savarese OMM review book and first aid what other books do you guys recommend to have as hard copies ?

I'm old school, so all of mine are hard copy. I found the LANGE series for Physiology extremely helpful, the BRS books are good to have hard copy as well.

If you don't know already, learn how to budget. You don't want to run out of money before your next student loan drop. If there is a meal plan available-GET IT. We use the undergrad cafeteria, especially on days where we only have an hour for lunch and still need to pre-read or print powerpoints for the afternoon classes or after a long anatomy dissection and you don't want to cook dinner.

After going to a few parties, med school reminds me much more of highschool than undergrad.

Oh, yeah. I've seen as much drama as I did in high school!

I can second everyone else on studying, you've got to be flexible and find what works for each class.

I'm old school, so all of mine are hard copy. I found the LANGE series for Physiology extremely helpful, the BRS books are good to have hard copy as well.

If you don't know already, learn how to budget. You don't want to run out of money before your next student loan drop. If there is a meal plan available-GET IT. We use the undergrad cafeteria, especially on days where we only have an hour for lunch and still need to pre-read or print powerpoints for the afternoon classes or after a long anatomy dissection and you don't want to cook dinner.

Oh, yeah. I've seen as much drama as I did in high school!

I can second everyone else on studying, you've got to be flexible and find what works for each class.
i like the idea of hard copies as well but the pdfs my classmates are giving away for free. Since everyone uses ipads for everything i thought i might as well join in. Ha really on the meal plans ? i was planning to get a slow cooker and a george foreman grill. I plan to make my food in bulk to save time. Plus all i really want is chicken eggs and rice.

That is because you make it at home, its easy to make. All you need is a good organic coffee, this guy named Dave Asprey coined the term, he sells a special organic cold filtered coffee, I used to buy it, but its expensive, any good organic coffee will do the trick. You need a good grass fed unsalted butter and organic coconut oil or MCT oil (which special type of coconut oil).

I usually just pre-brew the stuff and then throw cold coffee in a blender with the butter and the oil, and some protein, and breakfast is served. It sounded disgusting when I first heard about it but now I think putting sugar and half and half in coffee is a crime. I used decaf and I am still mentally alert, as I said its the fats that give me energy.
Bullet Proof coffee!!!!!! Been drinking it on and off for a couple of years. I also use MCT oil on my vegetables. I think nutrition is very important to remaining healthy throughout med school, but too many people forget that they need to exercise as well. Staying fit or at least exercising is so important. If we are going to help people get healthy and remain healthy then I think it is pertinent that we keep ourselves healthy as well. Just my opinion though.

whiskey helps tremendously
I keep a dozen cans of tuna fish, a dozen cans of Monstor, crackers, and Protein Bars in my locker. Soap, deodorant, toothbrush/paste. I get at least four hours of sleep every night. I drink and I've learned to love hating my life, and my relationship with Apple products is co-dependent at best. I own four chargers for each device and two sets of noise canceling headphones. That and a lock to keep padfoot777 from stealing my whiskey......

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems really petty but does anyone have any suggestions for how to keep a calendar/planner thing?
I use google calendar and an android app called Business Calendar by Appgenix Software - the old free version is nicer than the new one imo. I can add single items, repeating events, etc. and its easy. I can also add multiple calendars in different colours and I have shared with my family so they know when its safe to call me. Fwiw, it works really well for me.

cooking: by a slow cooker. blender. stock pot, soup pot, and cast-iron. #mealprepmondays.
Coffee: get a nice mug and your choice of coffee maker (french press, chemex, traditional, keurig,which is terrible for the planet).
drugs: get yourself a downer and get yourself an upper. Traditional: EtOH and caffeine. "modern": benzo and adderall/modafinil. (it's funny cause no one admits it, but pretty much everyone in school has a "learning disorder". Whatever your poison is, learn how to dose yourself. Drinking a coffee at 10 pm is stupid. Also, if you don't go to a rubbish school you will learn about alkalizing/acidifying, so use that knowledge to your benefit.
laptop sh1t: get earbuds, wireless mouse, microsoft office if you don't have.
tablet: get a cheap one. 7 inches should do (that's what she said).
destressors: TV, videogames, masturbation, etc
books: don't be afraid to buy books - especially ones that are highly recommended. Use the back of your first aid as reference. Some of my best learning has come from independent learning. Professors/powerpoints are terrible teachers.
videos: pathoma sketchy are a must in my book. kahn medicine is actually really fxkin good too (free). kaplan or dit if needed, but it's pricey.
external: buy one. you're going to accumulate random crap throughout school.
credit card: get one with decent rewards. Also, since I assume you will be taking out loans put the total amount you are taking out/year when applying for a card.
condoms: prepare to slay lonely depressed women/men whatever floats your boat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
cooking: by a slow cooker. blender. stock pot, soup pot, and cast-iron. #mealprepmondays.
Coffee: get a nice mug and your choice of coffee maker (french press, chemex, traditional, keurig,which is terrible for the planet).
drugs: get yourself a downer and get yourself an upper. Traditional: EtOH and caffeine. "modern": benzo and adderall/modafinil. (it's funny cause no one admits it, but pretty much everyone in school has a "learning disorder". Whatever your poison is, learn how to dose yourself. Drinking a coffee at 10 pm is stupid. Also, if you don't go to a rubbish school you will learn about alkalizing/acidifying, so use that knowledge to your benefit.
books: don't be afraid to buy books - especially ones that are highly recommended. Use the back of your first aid as reference. Some of my best learning has come from independent learning. Professors/powerpoints are terrible teachers.
videos: pathoma sketchy are a must in my book. kahn medicine is actually really fxkin good too (free). kaplan or dit if needed, but it's pricey.
credit card: get one with decent rewards. Also, since I assume you will be taking out loans put the total amount you are taking out/year when applying for a card.
Not sure why but everything about this made me laugh. Hilarious.

Reactions: 1 users
Find a place you study well. Find your routine that works for you. For me I needed to study by myself. I needed to be an active note taker and hand wrote things out. Don't be afraid to adjust your study plan as you go. If you're having trouble, you need to ask for help. Clinical years are coming, you'll get through it!

This is awesome.

After going to a few parties, med school reminds me much more of highschool than undergrad.

It's high school thrown in with type A personalities, pressure to perform, insane debt, all inclusive depression, and Sex with gross medical students bc noone else will sleep with ur equally gross self.

Well ... Thats not entirely true. Beautiful ppl will sleep with u. U just have to wait till u start making that doctor money.

So you're saying when I start medical school beautiful people will stop sleeping with me?

So you're saying when I start medical school beautiful people will stop sleeping with me?

actually no. quite the opposite.

I just threw that last post in b/c most of the people u meet in med school will be neurotic pre-meds that u most likely will not want to associate with. If u have any semblance of social skill you can do quite well for yourself. As sad as it is, avoid telling people you meet at bars/online dating that you're in med school. Once they find out, they will leech on for all they're worth.

Buy your own condoms and always pull out. You'll be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
3 most useful things to me in med school.
1. Having an awesome wife--who cooks, cleans, etc.-- and kids to go home to and escape school.
2. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Energy-Variety-Pack-Drink-Mix-20-count-1.98-oz/23554742 (not a coffee drinker, but excessively dependent on caffeine)
3. firecracker. Not good for everyone, but it has by far been the best thing I've committed to for both school and boards. Started right before 2nd year. Wish I had started first year. They do a month free so try it out when school starts or after your first semester. https://med.firecracker.me

On my school's Facebook page I see presidents of various clubs post about different extracurricular opportunities and ways to get involved in leadership with these organizations. Now, for me, being in these leadership positions in school clubs and being heavily involved in school is MUCH harder than just doing well academically. Can I get away with just doing well in school and foregoing EC involvement? Because PDs don't really care for ECs right?

Can I get away with just doing well in school and foregoing EC involvement? Because PDs don't really care for ECs right?

I would suggest doing at least one thing. It could be an interest group, a service organization, etc.

Do something that can help you network with other physicians and health professionals.

At the med school I go to, we are all in med school and experiencing the same things in class, so med school organizations can be tailored to even a rigorous study schedule.