Suggestions for transferring from one district to another in retail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmkj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to transfer to a different district, which means different district managers. Should I talk to my district manager first (even though he wouldnt want me to transfer out therefore wont try to help me transfer) or should I just go to the other district manager and ask to see if there are open positions available.

I moved to a totally new state therefore do not know many other pharmacists in the area. Would it be too weird for me to randomly go into a store (of the company that i already work for) and just start a conversation with a pharmacist there and ask?

Members don't see this ad.

No offense, but this should have been done before you moved. Did you let your DM know you were moving? This should have been taken care of in advance.

My advice is to contact your old DM and let him know you moved and would like a transfer to the new district. He will let you know what to do from there.

I am familiar with how this process works, as I am attempting to transfer myself. Some chains are near impossible to transfer districts nowadays.

Here's what I've done so far:
1)Found a store in the district I want to transfer to that wants an intern
2)Pharmacy manager in this store told me that he wants to hire me, but I have to talk to the new district's PDM to include me in the intern budget for the district.
3)Introduced myself to the new PDM by phone.

I have started this process over a month ago. The PDM still has no word of the intern budget for next year, so I have no clue if I will get transferred. I guess I'll commute to my old district sometimes, but I probably won't be working much, because it's about an hourlong commute which entails either a train or expensive parking.

The old DM usually doesn't give a crap about you. So you have to find out if there is a need in the new district and do everything yourself. It's not weird at all to go to a random pharmacy and ask for their contact info if you can't find it elsewhere. The new DM then will contact the old DM to ask if you're a decent worker and will process the transfer. I've transferred a few times and I had to do everything myself.