suggestions on how to spend gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southpawcannon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Retaking MCAT in November, so I will have gap year upon graduation from grad school in May 2015. By then, I will have an MS in Biology to go along with my degree in Athletic Training and minor in Spanish (earned 10 years before in undergrad). I planned to stay employeed in the ER as a tech but will have to pay the bills including Mucho in student loans. What are some suggestions as to how I could use my gap year to make myself an even more attractive candidate yet pay the bills too? Grazi.

Members don't see this ad.

We can't speak to options that will set you apart while also paying bills, but there are plenty of ways you could get yourself noticed. Look for opportunities to network with medical professionals. Maybe they are speaking at a conference you can attend and you can use that as a springboard to meet people with good insights and connections. Hands-on CME courses are also a great way to network, get certifications, brush up on procedural skills, and set yourself apart from your competition. Don't let pay be the deciding factor in where you spend your time. Recruiters value initiative and hardwork above paying jobs. Best of luck!