Suggestions on reading materials for M1/M2s?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadRadLad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing some research in the Rad Onc department at my school this summer. I haven't had much exposure to the field prior to this and i'm not sure what sort of projects i'll be working on yet. Can anyone suggest some materials that an M1/M2 could read to get a general idea of some of the basic topics in Rad Onc that would help prepare me for this upcoming work? Books, research articles, websites etc, would all be helpful. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you and I are in the exact same situation my friend. I'm a rising M3 & the PI of the research i'm involved with gave me some research articles to read before hand. A lot of the terminology/concepts was over my head, so I literally looked up every term that confused me on google. And everything google couldn't decipher, I asked this the radonc-deities of this forum.

Long story short, google is your best friend. It's a laborious process. BUT it helps drill in some concepts

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that article was pretty great, really arms you with some basic working knowledge to speak intelligently with the doctor.

I couldn't access it oddly, even when I logged into the school's server... Weird and sad :(

^the link is pubmed... and I for searched the article as well on pubmed from my school's remote login, couldn't access the full text. Meh, I'll just try it from the school itself on their network when I go in to the lab, sometimes their remote access can be odd it seems.

I think this book is very helpful in the early medschool years. Quick and easy read, available on amazon
Amazon product

Maybe not for MS1/MS2 level but for your rotations a lot of people found The Q&A review book by Lin and the "Blue book" by Roach to be useful. There's also the purple book by Hafty/Wilson but I never really used it. The rad onc wiki is a good resource too but I have found it is not always updated. So many concepts are brand new to you when you first encounter them, but don't let that discourage you!

Last edited: