suggestions on where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats: Overall GPA is about 3.5 and Sci GPA is about 3.3. MCAT is 34.
ECs are pretty much the usual hospital volunteering kind of stuff, nothing outstanding. I didn't do any research. I also didn't take calculus so any of the schools that require calc are out.
Anyone have suggestions on which schools I should target? I'm going to look at the MSAR, but I thought you guys might have some good advice. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm your MCAT score is good. The only thing I worry about for you are your ECs and the fact that you didn't take calc. Your MCAT score will only take you so far and quite a few schools require calc. I'm assuming you're applying for the Class of 2009? If so I would strongly suggest you boost your ECs or at least play up the ones you have on your app because numbers on paper will take you only so far...

OP, where are you from? Where do you want to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am applying right now. I'm a MI resident but open to moving pretty much anywhere. :) I would be thrilled to get into one of my state's schools but I'm hoping to get some good advice on out of state schools that I have a shot at.

I havent taken mcats yet but here are my stats are here
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=126298&page=1&pp=20
and this my final application list so far:

Drexel University
Albany Medical College
Jefferson Medical College
New York Medical College
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
University of Florida
University of Miami
University of South Florida
University of Vermont
Albert Einstein
Finch
GWU
Meharry
Wake Forest
FSU
temple
Creighton
Loyola
Tulane

Is your GPA a 3.5 or a 3.29--you're link shows a different GPA than what you've written in the original message. I say you have a pretty good shot at all the schools you've listed here, plus some others if you bulk up on ECs this year. I might even add Boston University and Michigan to the list (they tend to interview a lot of people).

i am not the one who started this thread balaA7180... I am just offering him.her the suggestions that i collected :) ( the link is mine... we are two different people) :cool:

Oh shoot...my bad DieselPetrolGrl. As far as your numbers are concerned, I say you need to get atleast a 32+ on the MCAT to have a good shot at most of the schools you've listed. Your extracurriculars seem really unique and interesting so those will definitely be a plus point. On a separate note, are you done with school? Why are you waiting until August 2005 to take the MCAT? If you are applying next summer, my advice to you is to take atleast the April 2005 test. You are WAY more likely to get interviews if you submit all your materials early. By taking the August MCAT, your application won't be complete until atleast mid Nov. to early Dec. Do you have to take the test in Aug. 2005? If you don't plan on applying til 2006, it doesn't really matter if you take the test in Aug. or April.

peppy said:
Yes, I am applying right now. I'm a MI resident but open to moving pretty much anywhere. :) I would be thrilled to get into one of my state's schools but I'm hoping to get some good advice on out of state schools that I have a shot at.

IMO, Michigan is a great state to be from when applying to medical schools. Your GPA is a little low but your MCAT is high, so I'd venture you should get at least interviews at Wayne and MSU. Both schools are big on ECs, though, so you'll definetely want to do something to boost that. You've got the summer, so try to find a unique volunteering position... I did outreach for Planned Parenthood, which was fun and different.

balaA7180 said:
Oh shoot...my bad DieselPetrolGrl. As far as your numbers are concerned, I say you need to get atleast a 32+ on the MCAT to have a good shot at most of the schools you've listed. Your extracurriculars seem really unique and interesting so those will definitely be a plus point. On a separate note, are you done with school? Why are you waiting until August 2005 to take the MCAT? If you are applying next summer, my advice to you is to take atleast the April 2005 test. You are WAY more likely to get interviews if you submit all your materials early. By taking the August MCAT, your application won't be complete until atleast mid Nov. to early Dec. Do you have to take the test in Aug. 2005? If you don't plan on applying til 2006, it doesn't really matter if you take the test in Aug. or April.
im a big dork ..i meant to put 2004...! thanks for your advice :)

Wayne State. University of Michigan. MSU. Those would be really good starting points. As for other schools, there are over 100 schools you could consider. Pick based on location and likelihood of getting interviews. But remember, don't apply to a school if you would rather wait another year and reapply to your state schools rather than go to an out of state school you don't like.