Suggestions on where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nnolan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I posted, last week, in the Pre-Med allopathic forum about early decision. I think I am going to forgo that and enter into the regular application cycle this coming year. Can you guys suggest schools for me to apply to? I am a Missouri resident, which will be obvious by my list of schools below.

Major: Cell and Molecular Biology
Non traditional: Worked as a computer programmer for a couple of years before coming back to school.
MCAT: 33 O VR:12 BS:11 PS:10
cGPA: 3.93 sGPA: 4.00
Extra curriculars: lots of volunteering at a free medical clinic, local discovery center (place for kids to learn about science) and a group home for the mentally challenged. I also worked as a patient sitter at a local hospital for a year and a half. I have done research in Alzheimer's disease and RNase quantification (both at my state university). I also have a lot of teaching experience in the anatomy lab (I will have a paid position this fall) and through the supplemental instruction program. I was president of the pre-med society this year and organized a campus wide symposium on the future of health care. As far as shadowing I have close to 200 hours and will most likely be getting plenty more this summer. I am also traveling to Costa Rica at the end of this month to work at a under served medical clinic.

Here is the list I am working on:
Mizzou
SLU
UAMS (Arkansas)
Tulane (a school I am interested because of their public health program)

These are the only for sures. I am also looking at a bunch of Chicago schools. Location really isn't an issue for me, I am not tied down to anywhere. I am, however, interested in getting an MD/MPH, but if it comes down to it I will go where ever will let me in. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you guys suggest schools for me to apply to? I am a Missouri resident, which will be obvious by my list of schools below.

Major: Cell and Molecular Biology
Non traditional: Worked as a computer programmer for a couple of years before coming back to school.
MCAT: 33 O VR:12 BS:11 PS:10
cGPA: 3.93 sGPA: 4.00
Extra curriculars: lots of volunteering at a free medical clinic, local discovery center (place for kids to learn about science) and a group home for the mentally challenged. I also worked as a patient sitter at a local hospital for a year and a half. I have done research in Alzheimer's disease and RNase quantification (both at my state university). I also have a lot of teaching experience in the anatomy lab (I will have a paid position this fall) and through the supplemental instruction program. As far as shadowing I have close to 200 hours and will most likely be getting plenty more this summer.

Here is the list I am working on:
Mizzou
SLU
UAMS (Arkansas)
Tulane (a school I am interested because of their public health program)

These are the only for sures. I am also looking at a bunch of Chicago schools. Location really isn't an issue for me, I am not tied down to anywhere. I am, however, interested in getting an MD/MPH, but if it comes down to it I will go where ever will let me in. Any suggestions are appreciated.
With a 3.93/33, additional schools to consider for "fit" (and assuming a substantive research experience) that have a good OOS matricualtion rate might be:

Mayo, Case, UVirginia, UTSW, UPennsylvania,
Emory, Dartmouth, NYU, Ohio State, UCSF,
UCF, USCal, Boston, Tufts, Einstein, Rochester,
UConn, Georgetown, Miami, Iowa, Maryland, UMinn, Stony Brook, Wake, Cincinnati, Penn State, UWisconsin,

With a 3.93/33, additional schools to consider for "fit" (and assuming a substantive research experience) that have a good OOS matricualtion rate might be:

Mayo, Case, UVirginia, UTSW, UPennsylvania,
Emory, Dartmouth, NYU, Ohio State, UCSF,
UCF, USCal, Boston, Tufts, Einstein, Rochester,
UConn, Georgetown, Miami, Iowa, Maryland, UMinn, Stony Brook, Wake, Cincinnati, Penn State, UWisconsin,

Really? I had assumed a lot of those schools (namely Case, Mayo, etc.) would be out of my reach....