Suggestions regarding my situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beekwool

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just joined the site and I am loving the amount of useful information on here!

Anyways, my situation is really giving me a headache right now, so please give me some input!

I am currently enrolled as a second year in a decent Canadian university on the west coast majoring in mechanical engineering. However, I did very poor in the first term of second year.. my program was all integrated into one course and when I failed it, it appeared as three Fs (with the same scores) on my transcript.

Gradually along the process I decided that I am more interested in dentistry so I took the second term off and am now waiting to switch to the chemical biological engineering program (their courses are more along the lines of dental school pre reqs). I am also considering going back to the States for community college (I'm an American) to have a fresh start on my GPA because it's now really messed up (around a 65%, which is about 2.5 in American standard?)

My question is: would I have more chance of getting into a dental school if I try to restart my GPA in the states (though I'm not sure how dental schools would look at my Canadian grades), or try to finish my undergrad in my current school trying to make my grades better? Or would getting a masters later with good grades give me the best chance?

Hopefully my question isn't confusing..
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

(someone correct me if I am wrong)

For AADSAS, you can't really re-start your GPA no matter where you go to (Canada or USA) because AADSAS want to see ALL OF YOUR TRANSCRIPT FROM ALL THE INSTITUTION ATTENDED AFTER HIGH SCHOOL. But that does not mean you are doomed. You just start from 2.5GPA and as long as you have major improvement in next 2.5 years (plenty of time to pull that into >3.5 GPA since you haven't taken too many credits).

If you have major growth in GPA, you can explain it by "ME was not my cup of tea" or your new found fascination in science field. But the point is do not panic over low GPA in first year, you only took 1.5 years worth of credits and have 2.5 years to pull it up.

In my opinion, you should do the following:
1.) make sure that dentistry is what you want to do by shadowing the dentist. It allows you to see the glimpse of what dentist do.
2.) start volunteering at clinic or hospital over summer.
3.) if dentistry is your path then do you really think chemical or biological engineering is the way to go? (I say this because I have BSc. and MSc. in Engineering and if I knew that dentistry was my path before, I don't think I would have done it. BUT engineering allows you to think critically and have great opportunities for researches. At the end of the day, you should major in something you will enjoy AND can obtain a good GPA. GPA is very very important!!)

Well I hope this helps and good luck. You should look into the requirements for your state-school and what you still have to take. When I started the post-bacc to pursue dentistry, I made excel file of what I need to take and when I have to take those classe by to see the time-line of my year.

Basic requirements are:
1 year of Bio
1 year of Inorgnic chem
1 year of Organic chem
1 year of Phys.
1/2 year of micro
1/2 year of biochem
1 year of math (some school)
1 year of english comp (some school)

Great suggestions! Thanks. And yes I am rethinking about engineering majors because it tends to drag down GPAs... but is doing research that crucial to dental schools? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is NOT A CRUCIAL nor requirement but research can be one of the way to differentiate yourself from others (I don't think there are many people doing same research).

Every applicant will have same ol' extracurricular: volunteering, shadowing, pre-dental club.... etc. But what is different about you from 4000 other applicants.

Personally, I have never done science based research (I did many ME research though) and I know many people who hasn't done it but got into dental school but there are always circumstances on why the person got in. There is no quick formula on "how to get into dental school" but it wouldn't hurt to do research and get involved in many activities to show your interest in science or dentistry.

It is just my opinion

I'm pretty sure you cannot restart your GPA unless your school has an academic renewal policy. So far, I only know one school that has this. Basically, if you get a D or F, and it has been two or more years since you take the course, you can petition the school to wipe that course. At this school, they limit up to 24 units and you have to show improvement in other courses since the failed class.
Well, dschool usually looks at an upward trend. If you have this, they usually forgive your early years. And do really good on the DAT.

icic. thank you guys. got a better idea of my direction. :)