Suggestions where to apply w/ stats...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
see below

Members don't see this ad.

it will be tough to get in anywhere with those numbers, but never give up on your dream :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
aww the numbers are deleted?

Yeah. Sorry felt a little uneasy posting my low numbers.

Here goes:
Overall GPA 3.45
Science GPA 3.48
MCAT this April....> low 20's? have a feeling I didn't do so great on the Physical Section

5 years to complete undergrad, this May. Screwed up the first two years, yeah not one like other people, with 2.76. Stayed the 5th year to raise GPA to where it is now. Managed to get on the Dean's list twice, and maybe President's list this semester (looking good so far, have 1 week left before finals). Have volunteered about 100 hrs in ER. Member of TriKappa Science Society. Will graduate Cum laude....> I transferred to a private institution after my second year.

I will probably apply to most, if not all, DO schools and thinking about adding a couple of MD schools to up it to an even 30.

Cheer up - I think you have a real chance. You recognized a past problem and turned it into an opportunity to improve your GPA and show you can handle academic challenges.

Your GPA is pretty good - above average for some schools, right on the nose for quite a few others. I was surprised when I looked on www.medschoolstats.com and saw that the average GPA and even MCAT of a lot of schools was lower than I expected.

You might want to sign up for that site. It costs a few bucks but you'll be able to search by GPA and see which schools have accepted your GPA range. That might help you decide where to apply - and where not to apply.

Good luck!

FutureDocDO said:

Here goes:
Overall GPA 3.45
Science GPA 3.48
MCAT this April....> low 20's? have a feeling I didn't do so great on the Physical Section

5 years to complete undergrad, this May. Screwed up the first two years, yeah not one like other people, with 2.76. Stayed the 5th year to raise GPA to where it is now. Managed to get on the Dean's list twice, and maybe President's list this semester (looking good so far, have 1 week left before finals). Have volunteered about 100 hrs in ER. Member of TriKappa Science Society. Will graduate Cum laude....> I transferred to a private institution after my second year.

I will probably apply to most, if not all, DO schools and thinking about adding a couple of MD schools to up it to an even 30.

I had a very similar gpa while applying to DO schools and I got acceptances/interview-invite to all that I applied to. Also, like you, I had volunteer experience. I don't know what your mcat scores were, whether you have done any research, or have a leadership position (ie president/vice president of an organization). But I was told that I was a very competetive applicant for DO schools. So I would say that you have a very good shot at getting in. Cheers

I definately think you have a shot at DO depending on what the MCAT is...If it's below 24-25 I think that might make things a bit difficult. MD schools will be tough with <28-29 but applying to all the DO schools is a great idea!

FutureDocDO said:

Here goes:
Overall GPA 3.45
Science GPA 3.48

Your GPA (overall/science) is certainly within the range.
I am not sure what your MCAT is, but MCAT might actually prove to be the decisive factor.
Goto MDapplicants.com and search for candidates with similar stats, chances are, you will be pleasantly surprised.

FutureDocDO said:

Here goes:
Overall GPA 3.45
Science GPA 3.48

My suggestion is to apply early, and really watch what MD schools you're applying to. I lost a lot of money applying to MD schools with a low MCAT score (lower 20s)....while I got a lot of secondaries (which took more money), I didn't receive any MD interviews applying to 20+ schools. My GPA is very high and I have great ECs so I thought that would make up for my MCAT and it didn't. I wish I would have looked more closely into the DO programs before I started applying to medical schools because I actually think its a better fit for me, but since I waited so long to apply ( AACOM: december, secondaries: feb-march) I only received a few DO school interviews. So I think its a good idea that you're focusing on DO schools.

Get both applications out as soon as possible, have some dream schools, but overall try to be realistic with where your applying. I kept hoping that some MD schools would look past my MCAT scores, but it never happened. You'll likely get interviews with DO schools. I can't tell you how amazing it was going to my first interview being told by the interviewer that I belong in medical school, despite my low MCAT scores. You've shown improvement, you have good experience, so apply away! good luck!

The prev poster makes good points. Apply to MD schools if you like, but be prepared for the chance that it might be throwing away alot of money. The MCAT is by far the most important factor for MD schools for sure and one below a 27 or so is not going to get you many looks at the schools. This is just a fact. DO schools will be more forgiving for sure, but like someone said it's going to come down to just how low in the 20s the score is. Again apply EARLY to maximize your chances. And who knows, tons of people think they bombed the MCAT and did much better than they thought. What kind of range were you practice tests in?

pretty constant at either 22 or 23

crys20 said:
The prev poster makes good points. Apply to MD schools if you like, but be prepared for the chance that it might be throwing away alot of money. The MCAT is by far the most important factor for MD schools for sure and one below a 27 or so is not going to get you many looks at the schools. This is just a fact. DO schools will be more forgiving for sure, but like someone said it's going to come down to just how low in the 20s the score is. Again apply EARLY to maximize your chances. And who knows, tons of people think they bombed the MCAT and did much better than they thought. What kind of range were you practice tests in?

Apply early and broadly and I think that you have a pretty good shot at getting in somewhere provided you don't have the personality of a bearded dragon.

your GPA is fine. and most people walk out of the mcat thinking they bombed it b/c no matter how you did, you wish you'd have done better. i think you'll be a strong applicant if you can score a 26 or better on the mcat. i think that even if you score a little lower (24 or 25) you'll probably still get some interviews.

and remember that interviews can count a lot.

hang in there,
S