Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Suited for Medical School- Career Quiz

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by daisy2, 04.06.11.

1. daisy2

daisy2

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So I have spent a few months studying for the MCAT but the more I hear people talk abt being a physician, the more I am thinking whether this is the right career for me

Does anyone know of a good career quiz etc?

Thanks
  2. rhcarolina

rhcarolina

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The MCAT itself is a good career quiz for those wondering if they are well suited to be a physician, as it is, and I quote from Wikipedia, "designed to assess problem solving, critical thinking, written analysis, and writing skills in addition to knowledge of scientific concepts and principles," skills integral to the practice of medicine.
  3. Signifier

Signifier

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is an interesting view, rhcarolina... could you say more? Do you think that doing well on the MCAT correlates (somewhat), not with success in medical school, but with early career satisfaction or something similar?
  4. Remy LeBeau

Remy LeBeau

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I realized you're talking about medical school, not a medical career. I think the MCAT is probably the best indicator.
    Last edited: 04.06.11
  5. rhcarolina

rhcarolina

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would say that performing well on the MCAT would reasonably indicate that one has the critical thinking ability and knowledge of the sciences necessary to do well in medical school, much like the SAT does for prospective college students. The OP could look at her MCAT score and see if she has the basic skills for doing well in medical school. I would say that the MCAT, then, is a pretty good career test, yes?
  6. Sammich117

Sammich117 Nerdfighter Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I disagree with the idea that the MCAT has anything to do with how well you're going to do as a doctor. That's one of the reason's they're working on changing it up quite a bit. The MR5 committee has been going over it and trying to make it more appropriate. Here's what they released as their preliminary changes:

https://www.aamc.org/download/182662/data/mr5_preliminary_recommendations.pdf
  7. TTigers70

TTigers70

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I imagine you are looking for some kind of career quiz that allows you to input feelings on abstract issues and evaluates if you should go in to medicine correct? There is a "what specialty fits you best" quiz floating around here. Maybe consider the types of questions the quiz asks in the first place and how you feel about answering them more than what answer you come up with.

I think the best indicator is to talk to people in the field and get some clinical experience. Shadowing seems to be pretty low yield but may show you what the day to day is generally like (although you probably won't see ALL the paper work that goes into the profession these days).

Be weary of older, crabby physicians who say you should undoubtedly stay away from medicine but consider their reasoning. I know one individual who constantly complains about cuts in compensation (still lives very comfortably) because he still compares things to the golden era of the 80s and 90s.
  8. muhali3

muhali3

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, just because you have the mental competence to be a physician doesn't mean you're going to be happy being one. You have to realize that close to half of your waking hours will be spent working.

Do you love the field of medicine that much, or would you rather be doing other things?
  9. solo75

solo75

Medical Student
    Unless you're doing research, you won't be doing much of any writing (unless you count charts/prescriptions, but come on...)
  10. rhcarolina

rhcarolina

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    True, which is why the writing section of the MCAT does not appear to bear as much weight as the others do.
  11. 0919mmk

0919mmk

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    daisy - I admire your ability to step back and ask yourself this important question, despite having the requisite intelligence to do it if you want to.

It's easy for people to say that, "if you're smart enough to be a doctor, then you'll be happy doing it" but I think that is total BS frankly. The MCAT evaluates your intelligence and ability to study well. That's it.

If I were you, I'd just take some time for introspection, ask yourself what it is, ultimately, that you want out of life. When you can answer your question, then you can answer whether being a doc is right for you or not.

If you decide that thing like family, free time, money, fame, travel, are things that matter to you, then this is probably not the best way to get those things. If you decide that you want mental stimulation, a gratifying job, middle-upper class income, and a career-oriented life, then this could be a good way to go.

Good luck. Don't be afraid to figure out what really drives you and go with it!
  12. alwaysaangel

alwaysaangel

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I came in here to post this. But someone else already did. I agree with this post WHOLEHEARTEDLY!

Just because you're smart enough to be a doctor doesn't mean its for you. As 0919 said - really think what your priorities are in life. If you are career minded then medicine is not a bad way to go. If there are other things you'd rather do in life (kids, travel, hobbies, etc) but realize that you need a job to make money then there are better careers out there which you should consider.
  13. zann0324

zann0324

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks for the link...very interesting, looks like some good changes...I'd probably prefer this type of MCAT but not waiting until 2015 or re-taking it...I hope :D

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal