Summer before entering dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigTOOTHguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More often than not, I read that people regret sitting on the couch and just chilling. They wanted to travel a bit more and experience life.

If all goes well, I'll be on a two week cruise in June to see parts of Italy and Greece. Find a place you've been wanting to go to and make a plan.

Reactions: 1 users
Research or traveling. Research would help you warm up for the classes and can be very beneficial if you want to pursue a specialty. You won't have that much free time once you get in dental school, so take this opportunity to travel and have fun with your moms.

What school in NY did you get in, NYU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia, so I should be able to do research later in my dental career, so I guess should I try to work (is it even worth trying to make a dent in my tuition) or should I aim to travel

I would travel unless you can find a job that pays you like $30+ an hour. Otherwise, it's not worth working your butt off before school for a drop in the bucket.

Reactions: 1 users
I went fishing. A lot. I also did bad things to my DAT books.

Reactions: 9 users
Columbia, so I should be able to do research later in my dental career, so I guess should I try to work (is it even worth trying to make a dent in my tuition) or should I aim to travel
Travel. You may not get the time to or have the funds for that matter in the next four years.

I'm saving up lots of money right now to go on a month long trip to travel Europe this summer. I'm super excited for dental school, but this will basically be the last 3-4 month summer of our lives! Take advantage of it and strike things off your bucket list <3

Out of curiousity, everyone who's telling OP to travel... Do your parents pay for your school? Me personally ill be working all summer b4 D1 just to try to minimize my debt

Reactions: 2 users
Out of curiousity, everyone who's telling OP to travel... Do your parents pay for your school? Me personally ill be working all summer b4 D1 just to try to minimize my debt

No, but I guess it depends on what you can do over the summer for work. Around here, with when undergrad gets out and when you have to report to most dental schools, the most someone could hope to earn in a normal "summer job" is $1500 or so. In the grand scheme, not really going to make a difference in a $300K debt load.

Im assuming you're american? Ill be making 1000$ per week so 12-14 weeks of work. IMO thats worth it. Agree?

Also the school im goin to only (lol at only) 40000k per year

Im assuming you're american? Ill be making 1000$ per week so 12-14 weeks of work. IMO thats worth it. Agree?

Doing what? Also, when does school start? Yes, $14,000 would be great to earn over the summer, but not realistic for most college students.

Travel and work if you find something you enjoy. Don't try to learn dental school stuff! Enjoy your time. If you are business savy, maybe try and figure out a job or way of creating income that you can keep up during dental school--an online business, rent out an apartment, etc. I wish I would have done more of that before dental school so I could have some money coming in. Dental school is busy but you will have some time to manage something like that if its bringing in some money.

Do what you enjoy during your time before dental school. You won't have as much time once school starts.

First let me say congrats and I'll see you in August! I'll be getting married and enjoying an amazing honeymoon in the Smokey Mountains. My fiance and I love to travel so we'll probably do a few short trips on the weekends we have off together. If you're into running/lifting/fitness you could train for a 5k or 10k or even a half-marathon (there is time) or do a mud run or something. It'll keep you occupied plus you'll be all set for all of the walking you'll do in NYC.

image.jpg

More the cherish it part than the rest of the meme

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I know this post is a little old, but I'm curious what everyone is doing for the summer.

Just one month left.
turns out i just bummed around. no surprise there

Reactions: 3 users
Just one month left.
turns out i just bummed around. no surprise there

same, except i have 5 days left....
I went on several vacations during winter break and with all the moving costs i didnt want to ask my parents for money to go on vacation again :(