Summer before grad school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joygirl22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a first year student in a PhD program. I was in contact with my lab mates at the beginning of the summer but we didn't talk about much other than where to live and the conversation quickly died since I didn't have many questions. Now that summer is half way over I feel like I should be doing something, but I have no clue what... Any suggestions on what I should/could be doing? Any personal anecdotes about the summer before grad school?

Members don't see this ad.

Go have fun because once you get on campus you will start to get busy…and then you blink and it is Halloween…and then again and it is the winter time. Definitely go enjoy your free time, as there will be plenty of time for work in the coming 5+ years. Congrats on your acceptance and pending grad school experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Travel. Spend time with loved ones. Make memories. Sleep. Read books for pleasure.

I'd do anything but study. As everyone else stated, you'll spend the next 5 years devoted to psychology.

Reactions: 1 users
I read a book recommended by my future faculty advisor. Apparently I was the only one who actually took up the suggestion of reading it...

Reactions: 1 user
So you have a couple of months with nothing to do? Enjoy it! It might never happen again.

Binge watch all of the TV shows you've been meaning to check out!

Well ...
200_s.gif