Summer calculus I: Get out now with a W, or tough it out and retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SquishyMonster90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a non trad who just started back at my local state university to attain my med school prereqs. My GPA from undergrad (music major) was a 3.94. This summer I am taking chem 1 and calc 1. Now my last math class was precalculus 10 years ago in my sophomore year of high school. I've spent a lot of time getting ready for calc over the past few months by catching up on algebra, trig, so on with Khan academy.

The problem: my calc teacher is awful (I got the last pick of classes this summer b/c I'm a 1st semester transfer, so I was left with the teacher with the worst ratemyprofessor rating.). Pretty much the whole class just failed the first test. I might as well be teaching myself calculus. I thought taking it during summer would be better since I could get it out of the way and focus on it, but instead the course is horribly rushed and I have two other classes to keep up with too (chem 1 and my AEMT class). The worst part is that he takes attendance. Otherwise I would skip class and just watch this guy on youtube: ().

I think I could handle this if it wasn't for my other two classes, which are easy, but very, very time consuming. On top of those, I have, what is essentially two calc classes because I have to sit through useless lecture to get attendance credit and then rewatch the entire 3+ hr lesson on youtube where concepts are explained in a way that actually makes sense. I'm dying here. I haven't gotten more than three hours of sleep per night for the past 7 days straight. I'm seriously considering withdrawing (as much as I hate throwing that $ away). How would I explain that W on my transcript? I'm possibly interested in an MSTP program so I don't want any B's or lower on my transcript. Would it be better to finish the course, get my final grade, and retake the course, or get out now with a W?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a decision you have to make yourself. If you feel like the load is so much that it will end up detrimental to your GPA, then a W is better than a C or below. Note that for DO programs, if you retook the class later they would only consider the second grade. MD programs average the two.

If you're headed towards a B, a W is not worth taking. You don't need 100% As to go MTSP, and withdrawing just because you're looking at a B instead of an A is not a great reason.

I would caution against blaming the entire thing on your teacher. There are good teachers and not so good ones, sure, but the teacher is not the only factor in someone's performance. Many people find calculus rough. I certainly did; for a five-credit course I probably had to spend twice that many hours a week working with a tutor or studying on my own. I had some gripes against our professor's style as well, but I decided that wasn't going to be the thing that kept me from performing well in the class. If it's overwhelming for you right now then consider taking it during a full semester when the material doesn't need to be learned in a matter of a few weeks. Get a better handle on what resources are available via your school and/or your circle of friends.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would caution against blaming the entire thing on your teacher. There are good teachers and not so good ones, sure, but the teacher is not the only factor in someone's performance. Many people find calculus rough. I certainly did; for a five-credit course I probably had to spend twice that many hours a week working with a tutor or studying on my own. I had some gripes against our professor's style as well, but I decided that wasn't going to be the thing that kept me from performing well in the class. If it's overwhelming for you right now then consider taking it during a full semester when the material doesn't need to be learned in a matter of a few weeks. Get a better handle on what resources are available via your school and/or your circle of friends.

I agree with you, but sometimes it really is the professor. I took linear algebra the first time in 2009 and withdrew and changed majors (was a math major) because I had no idea what the guy was talking about at all. I figured if I couldn't even begin to grasp the introductory material to that course, math was probably not for me. I decided to give it another go at a different school later, while working full time in the military and taking care of my first daughter. Not only did I understand it, but I actually enjoyed it and easily got an A. And I just completed my math degree.

So I'm just saying, sometimes the professor just sucks at teaching.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with you, but sometimes it really is the professor. I took linear algebra the first time in 2009 and withdrew and changed majors (was a math major) because I had no idea what the guy was talking about at all. I figured if I couldn't even begin to grasp the introductory material to that course, math was probably not for me. I decided to give it another go at a different school later, while working full time in the military and taking care of my first daughter. Not only did I understand it, but I actually enjoyed it and easily got an A. And I just completed my math degree.

So I'm just saying, sometimes the professor just sucks at teaching.

Oh, absolutely. Both my calculus and physics profs were terrible. My chem I prof, on the other hand, took a subject I was terrified of and taught in a way that really sparked my interest. Teachers can certainly be good or bad, and a bad one often ends up costing the students time and self-confidence which is unfortunate. I simply caution against placing 100% of responsibility for one's performance on the teacher. Summer classes in particular are notoriously rushed...I'd probably never have survived calculus in the blocks my uni had for summer even with a great teacher.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, absolutely. Both my calculus and physics profs were terrible. My chem I prof, on the other hand, took a subject I was terrified of and taught in a way that really sparked my interest. Teachers can certainly be good or bad, and a bad one often ends up costing the students time and self-confidence which is unfortunate. I simply caution against placing 100% of responsibility for one's performance on the teacher. Summer classes in particular are notoriously rushed...I'd probably never have survived calculus in the blocks my uni had for summer even with a great teacher.

Yeah, they can be tough. I took basically every course for my major in 8-week blocks. Definitely would have been easier to do full semesters.

A>B>>W>>>C>>>>>D or F.

However, consider how not having the class might interfere with your schedule for taking physics, depending on the school/class it may or may not be a prerequisite. I love Calc, but had taken trig and a bunch of other math, as well as physics w/calc first so had a good foundation.

Good Luck!

med school is similarly crammed FYI to yalls

Yeah I assumed so. Doing a math degree in 8 week blocks with no break while deloying and raising two young children all while moving 5 times in 2 years has hopefully prepared me somewhat for med school.