Summer Depression

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jibreil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hate summer, I can't stand it. It's hot, humid and just makes me uncomfortable, lazy and depressed. I'm signed up for 2 summer classes (Chem 2, and Physics 1) and I can't seem to focus. I am a very good student but I'm just soooo lazy and depressed and hating this horrible summer. The classes only have a month left in them and I'm already behind. My chem 2 class isn't too bad and I've been getting A's in my test and quizzes. The problem is physics. We had an exam a few days ago and I didn't take it because I was too busy with chem and couldn't push myself to study all night for it. Our professor drops one exam so I decided that will be the one I drop. The problem is, I NEED you guys to tell me how to stop this summer depression and focus for the remaining month. I need to focus and stop being so lazy and depressed for no damn reason.

Members don't see this ad.

You should speak with a medical professional. Depression typically isn't something you can get over with advice from an anonymous internet forum.

Good luck :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming you're being colloquial and this isn't full blown depression, you should find some physical activity. Think about going to the gym, running around campus, swimming laps at the pool, hiking, going rock climbing, etc.

If you are experiencing actual depression, then seek professional help.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
tumblr_mlq5em3ZYR1r5u7yvo5_500.gif

More seriously, maybe try to do some fun things in the summer too?

If you feel clinically depressed, get professional assistance.

Reactions: 1 user
Do fun stuff with your friends. Forget about school when you are with them. Have a glass of ice cold milk.

Just a reminder that SDN is not for medical advice. Please see a physician or healthcare professional regarding concerns about depression. You can by all means discuss tips on staying focused and motivated for summer classes. This thread will remain open as long as there is no medical advice sought or given.

Just a reminder that SDN is not for medical advice. Please see a physician or healthcare professional regarding concerns about depression. You can by all means discuss tips on staying focused and motivated for summer classes. This thread will remain open as long as there is no medical advice sought or given.
Thanks and I'm not suicidal or anything, it's just I always have hated summers and the weather makes me uncomfortable and anxious and I don't really have motivation to do anything. I don't mean I have have depression I'm just in a depressed state of mind and always am in the summer. I've just never had summer classes so that's why I'm on here asking for coping advice.

Thanks and I'm not suicidal or anything, it's just I always have hated summers and the weather makes me uncomfortable and anxious and I don't really have motivation to do anything. I don't mean I have have depression I'm just in a depressed state of mind and always am in the summer. I've just never had summer classes so that's why I'm on here asking for coping advice.

Btw, I would watch out for 'official' mental health records. Some schools require mental health forms to be filled out

Btw, I would watch out for 'official' mental health records. Some schools require mental health forms to be filled out

Are you required to disclose? I'd prefer to leave my bipolar diagnosis out of this as it's well managed with medication.

Are you required to disclose? I'd prefer to leave my bipolar diagnosis out of this as it's well managed with medication.

I was offered two acceptances in previous cycle. One school did not have those form but other school had a mental health form to be signed by a physician. Now, since the form was mailed after the acceptance, I am not sure how it will affect the acceptance offer. I would just watch out for it

You should really not be required to disclose. It's a little strange for a med school to ask for mental health documentation. At my school, it's completely confidential and administration/faculty will only know if you elect to tell them (like if you need to take some time off or something). Otherwise, there's no need for them to know.

I hate summer, I can't stand it. It's hot, humid and just makes me uncomfortable, lazy and depressed. I'm signed up for 2 summer classes (Chem 2, and Physics 1) and I can't seem to focus. I am a very good student but I'm just soooo lazy and depressed and hating this horrible summer. The classes only have a month left in them and I'm already behind. My chem 2 class isn't too bad and I've been getting A's in my test and quizzes. The problem is physics. We had an exam a few days ago and I didn't take it because I was too busy with chem and couldn't push myself to study all night for it. Our professor drops one exam so I decided that will be the one I drop. The problem is, I NEED you guys to tell me how to stop this summer depression and focus for the remaining month. I need to focus and stop being so lazy and depressed for no damn reason.

1. Air conditioning: Use it whenever you can! (Some people feel tired, sleepy, less alert, and miserable when they are too hot.)

2. TV/Study Breaks: If you like to watch TV (which is a common type of study break) and can't stand the break between seasons, try to find a new show you've never seen to watch during study breaks.

3. "No fun for me": If you hate being stuck studying while all your friends are going to festivals, jumping in pools, etc., put on your "blockers" and make an area for yourself to focus on work. Try to find something satisfying to do on your study breaks and ignore whatever is going on that's making you envious (if anything is).

4. Nourish your spirit/soul/mood: Find something you love to do, and do it on some regular basis. This may mean finding a hobby, listening to music that makes you feel good, going to church or finding inspiration and motivation... You must have something to look forward to that truly moves you. If you have nothing like that, spend a little while each day meditating or thinking about it. You can do that while stretching, lying down, praying, exercising, or something else.

5. Eat well and exercise: There is a connection between the body and the mind. Often times (not always), people are at their worst when they are either NOT eating right or exercising, or way over doing it.

6. Study buddy: If, and only if, you are a "people person" who doesn't like to be alone and isolated with nothing but books and walls, then try to find a study partner. A study partner doesn't have to be someone that work with constantly. It could be someone that you ask questions to occasionally, or just shows up to watch your stuff if you need to leave your library table to use the bathroom.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Just remember you are almost to your goal and at that point in time you'll only have first year summer than summer less for the years that follow. Just keep swimming...

On the verge of greatness!

I agree... I have no desk in my sublet, no friends, and my bed is hard as rock. Someone (I'm sure they think it's me), broke the toilet and Summer Orgo sucks.

Wait, what? I didn't know this. Is this common?

I think the problem here is clear. You are taking Chemistry AND Physics at the SAME TIME over a summer block. You can't be doing that. I know one person who did it and I do not kn0w why. You have lectures/lab for half a day or more every day then you need the other half of the day to do pre-labs, assignments, study for tests and quizzes.

I think the problem here is clear. You are taking Chemistry AND Physics at the SAME TIME over a summer block. You can't be doing that. I know one person who did it and I do not kn0w why. You have lectures/lab for half a day or more every day then you need the other half of the day to do pre-labs, assignments, study for tests and quizzes.

I'm with this person. You selected summer classes the way that a masochist would and it seems you're not a masochist.