Summer Enrichment opportuinities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromium Surfer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out today that I will be ineligible to apply for the upcoming SMDEP cycle because I am considered a junior by my college, even though I am about to enter my second year of college:( This is because I completed a year of college credit while I was still in high school. Does anyone know of any summer enrichment programs that are very similar to SMDEP, but tailored to juniors and seniors? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Truthfully, SMDEP was a great experience, and it helped me tremendously in choosing medicine as a career. Having said that, I'm unsure how much of an actual application boost it will have. I've often considered how much better my application would look had I dedicated a summer to clinical volunteering. In some ways, these experiences are more helpful to you and to your application.

I wouldn't worry too much about being ineligible for SMDEP. While it was an amazing experience, it doesn't put you at a disadvantage if you don't attend.

I would look into 20 hour+/week volunteering gigs, healthcare jobs (CNA, phlebotomist, etc.), undergraduate research programs, or just doing something creative and awesome that helps you stand out!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mad #firstworldproblems yo

Soup Kitchens...Food Pantries...Homeless Shelters...ER Volunteering...Get a job...Bar tend...Play sports...Read books...Conduct research at your undergrad institution...

There's plenty of opportunities for an 'enriching' summer. Design a weekly schedule and make the most of it.

Man, I miss undergraduate summers...
Thanks for the numerous suggestions! Thankfully I've been able to do some of those this summer, but I will look into the other ones as well.

Truthfully, SMDEP was a great experience, and it helped me tremendously in choosing medicine as a career. Having said that, I'm unsure how much of an actual application boost it will have. I've often considered how much better my application would look had I dedicated a summer to clinical volunteering. In some ways, these experiences are more helpful to you and to your application.

I wouldn't worry too much about being ineligible for SMDEP. While it was an amazing experience, it doesn't put you at a disadvantage if you don't attend.

I would look into 20 hour+/week volunteering gigs, healthcare jobs (CNA, phlebotomist, etc.), undergraduate research programs, or just doing something creative and awesome that helps you stand out!
Okay this is good to hear, I felt that I had a pretty competitive application for SMDEP given my background and what I've done in college so far. Its good to hear that I'm not at a disadvantage since I won't be able to attend. Thanks for the advice!