Summer MCAT, too late for non-trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nat0326

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some advice on my timeline and overall package for applications... I started off pre-med as an undergrad, with a major in psychology, got involved in psychology research as an undergrad (worked a great deal with underprivileged adolescents with depression and anxiety), and fell into the path of pursing my PhD in Clinical Psychology. After graduating, I worked in psychology research full-time for a year. During that year I realized that I was extremely unhappy working in psychology, and I was not passionate about the research I was doing. I felt that the labs I had worked in as an undergrad pushed me to this decision, and when I took a step back it wasn't what I really wanted for myself. I decided that I should go back to school and pursue medicine. I needed something more hands on, and I honestly couldn't be happier with my decision. I am enrolled in a post-bacc program completing my outstanding pre-med courses and working at a surgical dermatology office assisting in mohs surgeries 3 days a week. I am really enjoying this experience, and I am definitely happy with my decision, but I'm a little concerned about my timing on a few things. I'm planning on applying to mostly D.O. programs, and maybe one or two MD.

1) I was planning on finishing my prereqs and applying to med school Fall 2015. I wanted to take the MCAT in August, but will this be too late? I was going to finish Orgo II Fall 2015, but I'm not sure if I'm better off just waiting to take the MCAT April/May 2016 and applying the next cycle. I really don't want to wait, but if the late MCAT date will really hurt my application, I would wait another year.
2) Will schools look down on my psychology major, rather than a biology or chemistry major?
3) Will any of the psychology research I did help out in the application process? Clinical Psychology PhD programs really weigh research VERY heavily in admissions, and I wasn't sure if it would be valued at all in the application process for D.O/M.D. programs because it is psychology research. I have about 4 publications (none are 1st name author) and 3 posters (1 1st name author). Just curious if this will help out in any way.

Thanks for any responses, I really appreciate it :)

Members don't see this ad.

1) I was planning on finishing my prereqs and applying to med school Fall 2015. I wanted to take the MCAT in August, but will this be too late? I was going to finish Orgo II Fall 2015, but I'm not sure if I'm better off just waiting to take the MCAT April/May 2016 and applying the next cycle. I really don't want to wait, but if the late MCAT date will really hurt my application, I would wait another year. - You will be really stressed with timing taking your MCAT during the application cycle. Especially because if you don't do well...you don't really have the option of a retake for that application cycle. The application process is stressful enough even if you are a stellar applicant. I've already sunk too much time and money into this cycle to back out. My application has been verified but my test is next week. I haven't been able to prepare any secondaries because I'm too busy trying to manage studying while working a FT job. I know the stress of waiting another year when you aren't fresh out of undergrad but my suggestion is prepare to take the test in August or September of 2015 (whenever you will feel best prepared for the beast that is the MCAT). And have the time to write a great personal statement, prep your secondaries, etc so that when the 2016 cycle rolls around you have your best chance of getting in.

2) Will schools look down on my psychology major, rather than a biology or chemistry major? That depends on your GPA. And how well you've done with your prereqs. People get accepted with majors from all over the spectrum. They want people who have proven they can handle the rigors of medical school.

3) Will any of the psychology research I did help out in the application process? Clinical Psychology PhD programs really weigh research VERY heavily in admissions, and I wasn't sure if it would be valued at all in the application process for D.O/M.D. programs because it is psychology research. I have about 4 publications (none are 1st name author) and 3 posters (1 1st name author). Just curious if this will help out in any way. Yes. It's still research. Although you need to make sure you have clinical experience, volunteering, etc.

Don't rush it. Take the MCAT April 2016 and apply in June 2016.
I took a June MCAT this year to apply this cycle and even I feel behind. I'm still writing secondaries while people are already getting interview invites. It's ok but not ideal. August could work out for you, but it could also be a complete disaster. Don't set yourself up for failure by having that be your Plan A. Plan to take a spring MCAT and, if necessary, retake in the summer. Finishing Orgo II before MCAT will also help you. The orgo on the MCAT these days is a lot harder than it used to be, for example on the AAMC practice tests that are available now. Also I assume you've factored Biochem into your pre req schedule?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you prefer DO, their cycle does run a bit longer and I don't think the timing would hurt your chances too badly for them.

This is a great question. OP, Zelda brings up a good point. You can go "all-in" and take the Summer MCAT and then apply DO.
Or, if you want to go the MD route - its probably best that you wait until next cycle so that you can apply early (applying earlier in the cycle should help increase your chances).