Summer Plan Dillema!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueCircle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I am a junior at a 4 year and am hoping to apply to medical schools in the summer of 2015. I was recently accepted into a summer research internship to conduct research in Europe (12 weeks) this summer. I have never been and realistically this would be my only chance to visit Europe before I start medical school. However, that would mean I would not be able to dedicate my entire summer to studying for the MCAT, which I had hoped to do. I really want to take it before the new MCAT. The last old MCAT will be administered some time in January, which means my only other option would be to study for it during Fall 2014 Quarter, but I'd be taking classes at the same time which is not optimal. Any suggestions on which route to take? Forgo the research in Europe trip and study for the MCAT or push off the MCAT and go to Europe?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you lighten your course load in the fall and still graduate on time? Preferably to the minimum number of courses to remain a full-time student. If you can do that and stay dedicated to studying, I'm sure you can pull it off, especially if you do well on standardized tests.

Reactions: 1 user
Lightening up my course load will delay graduation by one quarter. I technically can do that, because I am taking a gap year, but it would be rather expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps you can study for the whole summer while doing research in Europe? I'm sure 4-5 months of part time studying would be sufficient for maybe a September or October mcat? Although to maximize studying I'd start studying now when I have time ( I currently study verbal 5 hours a week with a 17 credit schedule, research and volunteer and I still have time to hangout and enjoy myself). Although with this plan you wont be able to explore Europe as much as you wanted too..

Reactions: 1 user