Summer Programs--What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMKC13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Junior
Chemistry major
3.96 GPA (cGPA/sGPA)
1 semester of Chemistry research
2 years as Nurse Tech at hospital
I'm not sure what else is relevant..

This is my list (I know it's extremely top heavy, but when programs state that some research is preferred, I'm not sure exactly how much "some" tends to be):

Albert Einstein SURP
Columbia Amgen
Mount Sinai SURP
NYU SURP
Vanderbilt Science Academy
Stowers Summer Scholars
St. Jude POE
University of Missouri Cell and Molecular Biology summer program
Univesity of Missouri Summer Research Internship in Medical Sciences
Dialysis Clinic Inc. Medical Summer Internship
University of Arkansas SURP
Siteman Cancer Center/WashU
University of Tennessee Pharmacology SURF

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good list please don't apply anywhere I'm applying too, you'll beat me out of the competition with that GPA. :(

In any case, I've heard these programs are really random in selection of students. Last year my friend with a 3.82 with research got rejected by 8 programs while my other friend got 2 acceptances with a 3.4 but was a NCAA athlete.

Good list please don't apply anywhere I'm applying too, you'll beat me out of the competition with that GPA. :(

In any case, I've heard these programs are really random in selection of students. Last year my friend with a 3.82 with research got rejected by 8 programs while my other friend got 2 acceptances with a 3.4 but was a NCAA athlete.
I find it reasonable to assume that some significant percentage of students applying to any given program of this sort have 4.0's, but I also think grades would be evaluated secondary to experience, recommendations, and other factors assuming one's GPA is decent.

I find it reasonable to assume that some significant percentage of students applying to any given program of this sort have 4.0's, but I also think grades would be evaluated secondary to experience, recommendations, and other factors assuming one's GPA is decent.

So do you think that my experiences are lacking?

So this means these REU, SURP, SURF programs are as hard as, if not harder, to get into that MD/DO schools at least number-wise?
FML. I'll be competitive for MD in less that two years :D :thumbup:

So do you think that my experiences are lacking?
Keep in mind this is just my opinion from knowing people and SDN'ers who have applied to similar programs, but no, I don't think your experiences are lacking for what these programs are looking for. Actually, I think you have a good amount of research; enough that you can say you've tried lab work and know you want to experience more, and little enough that you could conceivably benefit from the experience more than someone applying with 3 years of research and another SURF under their belt already. Again, this is me guessing at how the programs evaluate what they want. There was more detailed, good speculation on this in the previous summer's SURF application thread.
So this means these REU, SURP, SURF programs are as hard as, if not harder, to get into that MD/DO schools at least number-wise?
FML. I'll be competitive for MD in less that two years :D :thumbup:
Haha I have no clue. It's weird because for many of these programs you only include what they ask for, sometimes omitting a resumé or other listing of activities, so they only get information about your research experience or whatever, whereas on AMCAS/secondaries you get to spell out pretty much everything you have backing up your candidacy.

True. Well then time to write/edit/proofread my bomb ass personal statement and have others help me. :)
BTW, if anyone wants to exchange for proofreading, just let me know!