Summer Reading List (fun or interesting books)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh it gets better - it kicks in at chapter 7. the second book is also good. the third book is kind of so -so.

i also echo the sentiment n the dark tower series, green mile also excellent. rose madder is very good and not typical king.

my other guilty pleasure is the sookie stack house series

Just remember, at the end of the day, you're reading Twilight fanfic that had names and a few details changed during the publishing process to prevent copyright issues.

Members don't see this ad.

Just remember, at the end of the day, you're reading Twilight fanfic that had names and a few details changed during the publishing process to prevent copyright issues.

I must admit, BDSM-themed Twilight fanfic doesn't sound very interesting to me, and I have read all the usual bad nerdy books.

Looking for some good fantasy and/or sci fi suggestions. Books/series/authors I have read and liked:

- Daniel Suarez (Daemon and sequel)
- Deborah Harkness (A Discovery of Witches and sequel)
- Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games and sequels)
- Christopher Paolini (Eragon and sequels)
- JK Rowling (Harry Potter series)
- Johnathan Stroud (The Amulet of Samarkand and sequels)

Also like Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld and Dayworld series, Michael Creighton, Dan Brown, Ray Bradbury, HG Wells, Madeleine L'Engle, Dune, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. Can anyone think of some other awesome fantasy/sci fi books that I'm missing? Bonus karma from me if it's available on kindle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Atlas Shrugged + re-reading 10,000 leagues under the sea(my fav childhood book)

I'm reading The Violinist's Thumb right now it's and pretty interesting.

Looking for some good fantasy and/or sci fi suggestions. Books/series/authors I have read and liked:

- Daniel Suarez (Daemon and sequel)
- Deborah Harkness (A Discovery of Witches and sequel)
- Suzanne Collins (Hunger Games and sequels)
- Christopher Paolini (Eragon and sequels)
- JK Rowling (Harry Potter series)
- Johnathan Stroud (The Amulet of Samarkand and sequels)

Also like Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld and Dayworld series, Michael Creighton, Dan Brown, Ray Bradbury, HG Wells, Madeleine L'Engle, Dune, and a bunch of others I can't think of right now. Can anyone think of some other awesome fantasy/sci fi books that I'm missing? Bonus karma from me if it's available on kindle.

Pullman (His Dark Materials/Golden Compass series)
Rothfuss (Name of the Wind)
Jordan (Wheel of Time, a little looooong but good!)
Duane (Young Wizards)
Kristen Britain (Green Rider)
Piers Anthony (the first 3-4 of Xanth only, the Incarnations series, and the first 3 Apprentice Adept books)
Card (Ender's Game and all related books...don't read up on the author himself as I've heard he's a tool)
Martin (Game of Thrones)
Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, etc...Anathem is good but a little long/dense)
LotR (obvi)
Colfer (Artemis Fowl series...young but still good)
Barron (Lost Years of Merlin series)
Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy, haven't read the others)
if you need more, or want specifics on any of these let me know! Your list had a lot of my favs on it! In case you couldn't tell, this is primarily what I read. Love the sci-fi fantasy worlds!

If you can only pick one...as mentioned earlier in this thread, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is amazing and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Last edited:
If you like sci-fi and haven't read Dune, drop whatever you're doing and read Dune. Most epic sci-fi epic ever. And speaking of tragic author losses, FH died before finishing the seventh and final book, leaving his son and Kevin J. Anderson to have their painful literary way with it.

I heard that so so many times, so I finally went out and read it...it didn't really seem like sci-fi to me? I feel almost blasphemous saying it, as I know it's regarded as one of the 'classic' sci-fi books, but it felt much more philosophical than anything else! Still, I'm glad I read it, as it's definitely one of the most referenced/recommended books out there!

Another essential sci-fi book is Ender's Game. Absolutely read that if you haven't already!

Last edited:
I just may drop all of my classes and lock myself in a closet with a flashlight as soon as R. R. Martin gets off his LAZY ASS and finishes "Winds of Winter."

That man and his stinking, 3 yr long cliffhangers. OMG.

Pullman (His Dark Materials/Golden Compass series)
Rothfuss (Name of the Wind)
Jordan (Wheel of Time, a little looooong but good!)
Duane (Young Wizards)
Kristen Britain (Green Rider)
Piers Anthony (the first 3-4 of Xanth only, the Incarnations series, and the first 3 Apprentice Adept books)
Card (Ender's Game and all related books...don't read up on the author himself as I've heard he's a tool)
Martin (Game of Thrones)
Neal Stephenson (Snow Crash, etc...Anathem is good but a little long/dense)
LotR (obvi)
Colfer (Artemis Fowl series...young but still good)
Barron (Lost Years of Merlin series)
Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy, haven't read the others)
if you need more, or want specifics on any of these let me know! Your list had a lot of my favs on it! In case you couldn't tell, this is primarily what I read. Love the sci-fi fantasy worlds!

If you can only pick one...as mentioned earlier in this thread, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is amazing and I cannot recommend it highly enough!
Thanks, awesome list. :thumbup:

I've actually read Pullman's trilogy already, as well as Lyra's Oxford. I just rebought the series for my Kindle and passed my hard copies along to a friend. I have not read Name of the Wind, so it'll be next on my list. You're also the second person who has recommended Ender's Game, so I'll be sure to try that one too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, and you probably already know this, but there is a new Jonathan Stroud book that is set in the time of King Solomon. I just finished it today. Good stuff if you liked the Bartimaeous trilogy.

Geeze, enough with the book recs people. I'm supposed to be getting my butt in gear for a busy fall semester of working too much and grad school NOT sitting around daydreaming about all the books I'll want to read when I should be studying :laugh:

Thanks, awesome list. :thumbup:

I've actually read Pullman's trilogy already, as well as Lyra's Oxford. I just rebought the series for my Kindle and passed my hard copies along to a friend. I have not read Name of the Wind, so it'll be next on my list. You're also the second person who has recommended Ender's Game, so I'll be sure to try that one too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, and you probably already know this, but there is a new Jonathan Stroud book that is set in the time of King Solomon. I just finished it today. Good stuff if you liked the Bartimaeous trilogy.

Actually, Stroud was the one author on your list I haven't encountered...so...there goes my free time!

I am having a REAL problem with there no one choosing the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by R. R. Martin. ...what rock have ya'll been living under?!

I am having a REAL problem with there no one choosing the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by R. R. Martin. ...what rock have ya'll been living under?!

It's been mentioned a few times...for example, my post earlier on this page! Also...you posted it before too.

It's not really helpful to suggest a series that has been mentioned 5x already in the thread AND is one of the more prominent popular fantasy series around right now. Most people will have already heard of it, and therefore not feel the need to recommend it. I'm not saying it's not good (I love it) or that you shouldn't recommend it; I'm just not surprised that it's not being mentioned every post!

So...I just read "Monday Mornings" by Sanjay Gupta, and I must say, it wasn't impressive. It's supposed to be centered around the weekly M&M meetings at a certain hospital, but it's not well written. I will say, it does give offer a glimpse into surgical M&M, but the character development isn't that awesome.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using SDN Mobile

Geeze, enough with the book recs people. I'm supposed to be getting my butt in gear for a busy fall semester of working too much and grad school NOT sitting around daydreaming about all the books I'll want to read when I should be studying :laugh:
Meh. I figure I'm working too hard to not enjoy at least some of the little spare time I have. The longer I'm at this job, the less I want to delay all gratification in my life. And I also want to be DNR/DNI right now. But I digress....

Actually, Stroud was the one author on your list I haven't encountered...so...there goes my free time!
You'll like it, I promise.

I just downloaded Name of the Wind for my kindle. Have you read the sequel? Reviews on Amazon suggested that it's not quite as good.

Already on the list. :)

Only Zool said:
So...I just read "Monday Mornings" by Sanjay Gupta, and I must say, it wasn't impressive. It's supposed to be centered around the weekly M&M meetings at a certain hospital, but it's not well written. I will say, it does give offer a glimpse into surgical M&M, but the character development isn't that awesome.
Most M&Ms are not that impressive in real life either. I certainly wouldn't want to read about them in my spare time. :hungover:

You'll like it, I promise.

I just downloaded Name of the Wind for my kindle. Have you read the sequel? Reviews on Amazon suggested that it's not quite as good.

Looking forward to it!

And yes, I have read Wise Man's Fear. I agree that it's not as good, but once you read NotW, you'll see that that leaves plenty of room for it to be pretty dam good! :)

It's been mentioned a few times...for example, my post earlier on this page! Also...you posted it before too.

It's not really helpful to suggest a series that has been mentioned 5x already in the thread AND is one of the more prominent popular fantasy series around right now. Most people will have already heard of it, and therefore not feel the need to recommend it. I'm not saying it's not good (I love it) or that you shouldn't recommend it; I'm just not surprised that it's not being mentioned every post!

I was mostly being glib here. Sorry...my sense of humor and comedic abilities are something straight off of "Big Bang Theory," lol.