Summer Research Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdewayne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my situation. I was accepted into two summer research programs. One is at the UNMC. If I were to do research here, it would concern microbiological research on thermocellic organisms. This one includes flying to Yellowstone National Park to obtain organisms and bringing them back to the lab for analysis.

The other program I was accepted into is at USC Keck School of Medicine. This one places a stronger emphasis on biomedical research and considering I told them i wanted to do cardiovascular research that is what I am most likely going to be doing.

Both are sponsored by the NIH. Which one should I do to make myself a more competitive applicant? I was told that I should do USC because it is more medical related while others said if i want to stand out go ahead and do the one at UNMC (also the travelling included is more of a memorable experience). Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
anyone?...Please:shrug:

Do the one you think you'll enjoy the most. Don't just do something because it'll "look good" for med school or else you won't fully appreciate the opportunity.