summer research and CV??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ezio

cheese steaks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a freshman and I'm looking for research during the summer. I already have a professor willing to let me be a part of his team but I don't feel like I will enjoy his project as much. I emailed about 7 other professors. 3 of them are capped, 2 have not responded yet, 2 of them asking for a CV.

I mean I don't have anything extraordinary. My cGPA is a 3.15 for the first semester and 3.5 sGPA. my highschool stats are meh too 3.7ish weighted GPA, 3.6 uw. No notable accomplishments other than volunteering some 80 hours in a hospital and national honor society.

Also, how does one make a CV?

Members don't see this ad.

You can include lots of information in your CV, even if you're just a freshman. Consider professional club memberships, you can include that. Scholarships? Skills? Any publications outside of research? Institutions attended?

Now I'm very biased and will say do not use Microsoft Word. I personally use LaTeX to format my CV. You can go ahead and use word if that is what you are familiar, but if you take the time to learn a bit of LaTeX, I can guarantee you that you will go far. For instance, here's some pretty awesome CV templates. Consider using them!

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I know:

8k merit scholarship from school

Skills:
Pro at most MS office apps
Following directions
Communication skills

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know:

8k merit scholarship from school

Skills:
Pro at most MS office apps
Following directions
Communication skills
Italicized - Maybe
Bold - No

Everyone is those.
Scholarship is a good place to start!

Here's an extract from my CV (don't backtrace this and stalk me please)

Development: C/C++, Python, R, JavaScript, Ruby (Rails), Java,, MATLAB
• Laboratory Skills: Blotting, Titration, Distillation,
Culture and identification of bacterial
pathogens, Distillation
• Computer Science: Data Mining, Data Structures, Artificial Intelligence, Operating Systems, Machine Learning, Parallel Programming

Albeit, you may not be specialized in side of something, and that is more than alright. But you can certainly extrapolate a bit more from your knowledge than simply communication skills and being able to follow directions :) But you've made progress! It's a start.

I know I kill titrations and
I guess I'm good at making bacteria in petri dishes.

Data input/analysis

I know very shoddy Unix

I know I kill titrations and
I guess I'm good at making bacteria in petri dishes.

Data input/analysis

I know very shoddy Unix
We're making progress here! Woo. See? These are things that could be highly relevant in an undergraduate lab setting that you may not have thought to include earlier.

Should I put everything I am good at in the CV even if it may or may not be relevant? Should I include my junior year volunteering and honor society endeavors? Do I need to put down contact info?

Should I put everything I am good at in the CV even if it may or may not be relevant? Should I include my junior year volunteering and honor society endeavors? Do I need to put down contact info?
Contact info — of course. Be sure to use your university email when doing so. Maybe just include university email, first and last name, and phone number. You probably should not include stuff from high school though, at least not on its own. If you have an education breakdown, you could include a short list of honors underneath the years you attended (I'm taking incredibly short, that all should fit on a line)

Looks pretty dry so far:
Contact information
3.15/3.5.. cgpa/sGPA
8k merit scholarship
Pro at ms office apps
Data input/analysis
Titration and bacteria growing
Very basic unix

Looks pretty dry so far:
Contact information
3.15/3.5.. cgpa/sGPA
8k merit scholarship
Pro at ms office apps
Data input/analysis
Titration and bacteria growing
Very basic unix
A CV isn't supposed to be bright and colorful. A quick glance at your CV should give whoever is reading it a brief overview of who you are and what you've accomplished. Don't put pro at MS office apps, put something along the lines of highly skilled or highly knowledgable. Instead of very basic, put elementary knowledge of. You'll still have your contact info, as well as your major + any minor and years attending (or planning to attend) as well as your high school.

You can lay this out as so (or differently, I've found this works best though)

- Contact
- Education
- Scholarships
- Skills

Thanks for your help!! I got 2 profs asking for a CV, I don't have high hopes for one of them but it can't hurt to send it anyway

Thanks for your help!! I got 2 profs asking for a CV, I don't have high hopes for one of them but it can't hurt to send it anyway
Honestly a CV is just a good thing to have around. Save it on a flash drive or on your desktop so you have quick access to it. It may seem minor now, but when applying to internships/volunteering/research/etc it'll be heavily encouraged, if not required.

Hi,

I'm a freshman and I'm looking for research during the summer. I already have a professor willing to let me be a part of his team but I don't feel like I will enjoy his project as much. I emailed about 7 other professors. 3 of them are capped, 2 have not responded yet, 2 of them asking for a CV.

I mean I don't have anything extraordinary. My cGPA is a 3.15 for the first semester and 3.5 sGPA. my highschool stats are meh too 3.7ish weighted GPA, 3.6 uw. No notable accomplishments other than volunteering some 80 hours in a hospital and national honor society.

Also, how does one make a CV?

Are you asking them for paid research or just volunteering in their lab?

They think it is paid because they expect only honors kids to do it with their stipends. I'm just the unpaid intern volunteer

They think it is paid because they expect only honors kids to do it with their stipends. I'm just the unpaid intern volunteer

Ah I see. Unpaid volunteer research is usually a lot easier to get so even if your CV isn't amazing you should still have a strong chance if you project the impression that you are a competent person who is willing to learn. Also they will likely not expect a freshman to have much experience in any techniques but definitely mention the titrations and bacteria and any other chemistry/biology techniques if you have experience with it! Good luck!

@Boolean I got miktex and downloaded a nice template, can i pm you a pdf of it to see if it is good?

it turns out that into the research team that i didnt have high hopes for! lets hope i dont have to pay for anything!!

Google CV and use their template. It's important to start building a CV... Trust me, many employers asks for a CV or resume.