Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied at Stowers too, and I haven't had any interview either... :shrug:

On the Summer Scholars FB page they said they were continuing rolling admissions and would have final answers by second week of April.......

I'm waiting for that too!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to 7 programs and have been rejected to all but 1 from which I'm expecting a rejection soon.

I really just want to know what an acceptance e-mail looks like.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 7 programs and have been rejected to all but 1 from which I'm expecting a rejection soon.

I really just want to know what an acceptance e-mail looks like.

I feel for you calpal, last year I got rejected for everything I applied for too. I ended up just staying at my school and doing research with a professor, shadowing a doctor on the side. If you don't get in, contact your local hospital for some experience!

Reactions: 1 user
I feel for you calpal, last year I got rejected for everything I applied for too. I ended up just staying at my school and doing research with a professor, shadowing a doctor on the side. If you don't get in, contact your local hospital for some experience!
That's actually what I did last year as well, then reapplied this year for UTMB which I saw you got into and 6 other schools and got zero lol I think I will take your advice and stay at my home institute and maybe do a little shadowing. Thanks!

I didn't know this forum existed, haha. I applied to SURP @ UT-Houston. Got an email today w/ a reply that I didn't get in. Oh, well. Wishful thinking, I suppose. If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.
My backup plan was to get a job, so maybe I'll try to work. I don't know if I'll be applying again b/c I'm currently a junior & applying this summer for the upcoming cycle.
It's the only program that I applied to, and I barely made the deadline...I was applying to MD Anderson but I was literally applying to it the day of b/c I was unaware that they were still accepting applications, but I didn't get the LORs in in time.

Good to you all; congratulations to those of you that got in and good luck to those have yet to find out.
If you didn't get accepted, no worries. Don't let that stop you from doing what you came to do. Many of these programs are very competitive, and I'm sure they'd like to accept everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Offer from MD Anderson(Science Park ,Department of Molecular Carcinogenesis )!!!! Ask me to reply in 72 hours tho(which will be a Sunday.........)
Anyone have ideas about Smithville, TX/How tough Texas summer would be?

Brace the unexpected. I attended SMDEP last summer at UT-Houston. I go to school out of state, but I only live about 40 min. away from the Texas Medical Center... some people were unprepared when they didn't have an unbrella for the few times that it rained. It'll be hot most of the time, but bring an umbrella b/c there's a good chance for rain. The weather tends to be unpredicable, but during the summer, it's either hot, humid, rainy, or a combo of any 2/3, so if it's anything like Texas weather, it'll be something similar. If you're not used to heat and humidity, then it might be an adjustment. The Weather Channel app is your friend. Good luck!

I got accepted to UT Houston summer program!!! This is my only acceptance after 7 rejections. I was jumping up and down when I got the acceptance.

Reactions: 4 users
So Cincinnati Children's Hospital SURF still hasn't gotten back to anyone yet?

I've applied and haven't heard back yet, but their deadline was pretty late, so I don't think they'd send acceptances this early.

Also, rejected from Vanderbilt.

Thank you. Waiting to hear from SPAEP at UPitt. Decisions are supposed to be sent out this week.

Hey guys i know im late but i was wondering if anyone knows any good research programs that i could do during my gap year? I've heard of the NIH IRTA. Are there any other ones that perhaps pay simiar?

Or does anyone know of schools that tend to have a lot of research assistants? ( I have about a 1.5 years of research under my belt).

Thanks!

So I have a not very dramatic dilemma:
I have been accepted to a local medical school's summer program (MUSC) and Baylor's SMART program. If I stay local I can stay in my apartment, work with the PI I worked with last summer and all my friends will be around. The Baylor program, however is Baylor, I'd have to live in dorms though and wouldn't know anyone. I'm applying this summer TX in state so will obviously be applying to Baylor for school, am I an idiot for wanting to stay at home or should I go for the big name program? At this point will it really make a difference on whether or not I get into Baylor?

Members don't see this ad :)
@estanton, it really depends on what your values and aspirations are. If you want the time to spend with friends, stay local, particularly if you're strongly considering you local medical school for grad/med school. If you want to go into a more competitive/research-based field, head to Baylor. Getting out of your comfort zone will probably make you a better/more adaptable person in the long run and a solid recommendation (even submitted late) could help tip you into a program. However, it is probably a year to late to make a significant difference, and if you just want to do primary care in your hometown, it's probably not necessary to leave your town. Hope that helps.

@estanton, it really depends on what your values and aspirations are. If you want the time to spend with friends, stay local, particularly if you're strongly considering you local medical school for grad/med school. If you want to go into a more competitive/research-based field, head to Baylor. Getting out of your comfort zone will probably make you a better/more adaptable person in the long run and a solid recommendation (even submitted late) could help tip you into a program. However, it is probably a year to late to make a significant difference, and if you just want to do primary care in your hometown, it's probably not necessary to leave your town. Hope that helps.

Not really planning on going into research, just want the background. I've did research at a top 5 my freshman summer and last summer research at the local school (which I won't be applying to because I'm not in state here). I guess I know what the right decision is I just hate moving. Thanks for the advice!

Yay, accepted into Texas Tech SABR--so I at least have an internship for the summer at the very least :) I have until March 31st to notify them, so hopefully by then I'll know where I stand with some of these other programs

I did sabr a few years ago! good stuff!

Not really planning on going into research, just want the background. I've did research at a top 5 my freshman summer and last summer research at the local school (which I won't be applying to because I'm not in state here). I guess I know what the right decision is I just hate moving. Thanks for the advice!

I had the same dilemma, staying at my school with my friends and doing the same research or going to an internship at UTMB Galveston. I ended up deciding today to go to Galveston, purely for the benefit it will give me when applying to med schools. Definitely a tough choice though

Hey guys,

I got into MD Anderson's summer program and I feel that an LOR from the program will really strengthen my MD/PhD application. Do you guys think that I will be at a significant disadvantage if I wait until the program ends (Aug. 8) to get an LOR from my PI? I can produce three letters if need be but one of them will probably be okay at best so I ideally I would want to sub the MD Anderson letter for this letter when I submit my app.

Hey guys,

I got into MD Anderson's summer program and I feel that an LOR from the program will really strengthen my MD/PhD application. Do you guys think that I will be at a significant disadvantage if I wait until the program ends (Aug. 8) to get an LOR from my PI? I can produce three letters if need be but one of them will probably be okay at best so I ideally I would want to sub the MD Anderson letter for this letter when I submit my app.

Since I had Mayo last summer (and I'm not sure what you did last summer and how much research experience you have), I'm waiting to submit my Sinai reference until August AFTER I've submitted everything else. You can apparently add additional letters after you've already submitted to school. Just make sure you do the whole verification thing before, even if you're waiting for letters, so you get the app in asap. You can sent the app to a back up school to verify and then add your other schools with or without the extra recommendation as necessary.

Totally don't blame you. Moving each year and each summer definitely takes its toll. Good luck at Baylor, then. :)

Did anyone apply to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County SBTP program or the UMass Med SURP program? Did anyone receive an rejection or acceptance from either of these programs?

Rejected:

Lehigh-REU
American Chemical Society-IREU

Did anyone apply to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County SBTP program or the UMass Med SURP program? Did anyone receive an rejection or acceptance from either of these programs?

I was accepted at umass just last week. Unsure if I should do that, mayo surf, or dshrep

I have a dilemma sdner. Which program should I choose mayo surf, umass surp, or medical college of Wisconsin dshrep. Help !

Anyone interning going to be interning in Boston? I got a research position at MassGen, in the same lab as I worked in last summer.

Hey guys I just have a quick question. why would u guys want to go to an amgen/any other program if you don't go to school there? wouldnt it be better to stay at your home institution and work on the same project for a few years? i know you can only do amgen once so....
sorry if i'm ignorant, i just really dont see the point of going across the country for a program for only 10 weeks???

Hey guys I just have a quick question. why would u guys want to go to an amgen/any other program if you don't go to school there? wouldnt it be better to stay at your home institution and work on the same project for a few years? i know you can only do amgen once so....
sorry if i'm ignorant, i just really dont see the point of going across the country for a program for only 10 weeks???
There are a couple of reasons for this:
1. Being accepted to one of these programs shows that you are a competitive applicant and will help out your chances for grad school/med school.
2. An LOR from a professor outside your home institution will help your application. It is one thing if professors from your home institution praise your research capacity but I feel that it is slightly more powerful if a PI from somewhere else can say that you made a significant contribution in their lab in only a span of 10 weeks.
3. If you are like me and don't go to a research heavy school, it will be a nice learning experience to see what research is like at a top 20 research institution.

Admissions officers do like to see a long-term commitment to research so in that regard working at your home institution for multiple years is desirable but you can still sacrifice a summer to go elsewhere.

Adding to what @kingrumak said, it's also a great experience to travel, especially for those going abroad, it allows you to experience different cultures abroad. Plus if the institution is more highly regarded in research than yours, it'll show up well on your application logically. If you're applying to that same institution with a great letter of rec from the PI there, it'll be a plus in the eyes of the adcoms. (Of course, the opposite is true. If you're applying to that school and you didn't include a letter from the PI you worked for at that school, it'll be a definite flag)

Has anyone participated in the Baylor SMART program here?

SUNY Upstate SURF program? Anyone have news of rejections or acceptances...?

So me have a not very dramatic dilemma:
me have been accepted to a local medical school's summer program (MUSC) and Baylor's SMART program. If me stay local me can stay in my apartment, work with the PI me worked with last summer and all my freinds will be around. The Baylor program, however is Baylor, me'd have to live in dorms though and wouldn't know anyone. me are applying this summer TX in state so will obviously be applying to Baylor for school, are me an idiot for wanting to stay at home or should me go for the big name program? At this point will it really make a difference on whether or not me get into Baylor?
I got rejected from Baylor! I would say go Baylor you will learn more than stick to the same lab. You got the chance that most of us don't so do not waste it!

Hey for people who applied to UCB Amgen, has everyone received a response at this point? I still haven't heard back and it's April 1st! I called them and left a message, I emailed them yesterday, and I checked the status on the online application. It still says "your application is complete and is currently under review." Slightly worried they completely forgot about me lol

What program at UPenn were you accepted into?

So now that everything is finalized, I'll just go ahead and say that I've been accepted to the Undergraduate Student Scholars Program at Penn Med's Center for Molecular Studies in Digestive and Liver Diseases. So I'll be doing research in gastroenterology, woo!

Other programs I applied to:
  • Cold Spring Harbor URP - Rejected
  • Sloan Kettering SURP - Rejected
  • UPenn SUIP (the only other Penn program I applied to) - Rejected
  • Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Injury Science REU - Rejected
  • Marshall University Biomedical Sciences Summer Research Internship - Waitlisted/Withdrew application
  • C-SURP (City College of New York summer research program) - No response/Withdrew application
  • UT-Southwestern SURF (Graduate School for Biomedical Sciences) - Rejected
  • TECBio REU at Pitt - No response/Withdrew application
  • NYS Department of Health/Wadsworth Center summer program - Rejected
  • WVU NANOSAFE program - Rejected
Pretty stoked to be heading to Philadelphia in the fall! Feel free to PM me if any of you have questions.

Last edited:
So now that everythin' be finalized, me'll just go ahead and say that me've been accepted to t' Undergraduate Student Scholars Program at Penn Med's Center for Molecular Studies in Digestive and Liver Diseases. So me'll be doin' research in gastroenterology, woo!

Other programs me applied to:
  • Cold Sprin' Harbor URP - Rejected
  • Sloan Ketterin' SURP - Rejected
  • UPenn SUIP (t' only other Penn program me applied to) - Rejected
  • Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Injury Science REU - Rejected
  • Marshall University Biomedical Sciences Summer Research Internship - Waitlisted/Withdrew application
  • C-SURP (City College of New York summer research program) - No response/Withdrew application
  • UT-Southwestern SURF (Graduate School for Biomedical Sciences) - Rejected
  • TECBio REU at Pitt - No response/Withdrew application
  • NYS Department of Health/Wadsworth Center summer program - Rejected
  • WVU NANOSAFE program - Rejected
Pretty stoked to be headin' to Philadelphia in t' fall! Feel free to PM me if any of ye have questions.

EDIT: Thank ye SDN for destroyin' this post in t' spirit of awesome day :p

These richardheads haven't emailed me back. I don't care now, but I'll hit 'em up for a response.

Congrats on the acceptance.

Hey for people who applied to UCB Amgen, has everyone received a response at this point? me still haven't heard back and it be April 1st! me called them and left a message, me emailed them yesterday, and me checked t' status on t' online application. It still says "yer application be complete and be currently under review." Slightly worried they completely forgot about me yo ho ho

Mine says the same. I heard someone who e-mailed got a rejection.

Rejected CCHMC as well. Honestly curious what qualifications they were looking for. Waiting to hear back from UMASS med, I called today and they said we should hear within the next week or so. The woman said that decisions are rolling. I sent in my final materials on the last day, so we will see.

Rejected CCHMC as well. Honestly curious what qualifications they were looking for. Waiting to hear back from UMASS med, I called today and they said we should hear within the next week or so. The woman said that decisions are rolling. I sent in my final materials on the last day, so we will see.
Did you apply to any other Cincy related programs?

Absolutely, but despite that, this was a very aggressive application cycle.
I am sorry :( But did you hear back from any other Cincinnati SURF programs besides CCHMC? I applied to Cincinnati SURF-GE, SURF-MSTP, SURF-Neuro and SURF-ASPET and didn't hear anything yet. I was just wondering if you heard back from any of those programs too

I turned mine in a month before the deadline and still haven't heard a response. Emailed them (twice) and no response. Some ppl have already gotten acceptances. :/

I am sorry :( But did you hear back from any other Cincinnati SURF programs besides CCHMC? I applied to Cincinnati SURF-GE, SURF-MSTP, SURF-Neuro and SURF-ASPET and didn't hear anything yet. I was just wondering if you heard back from any of those programs too

Oddly enough, I attributed the email they sent us to cover all the programs. 1k apps for 50 spots was stated in the email. The same stuff happened with my SPUR application. They would send out your SPUR app to all participating programs, but when I received my rejection letter, I assumed it was to all associated programs and not just SPUR/CCHMC