Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted to SUNY Upstate SURF program: 4/2/14. Letter said 8 out of 226 applicants were accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard back from the UNMC SURP program? I was rejected from two of the others that I applied to (Minneapolis Heart Institute, and Colorado Children's Hospital), and waitlisted at U of M LSSURP, so the only one I'm waiting on is University of Nebraska Medical Center. I've been scouring the website, trying to see when they've accepted applicants in the past, but I can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted to the Neuro SURF program at University of Cincinnati! The e-mail came about an hour ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Mine says the same. I heard someone who e-mailed got a rejection.

I still haven't heard back....do I just assume it's a rejection?? Do you know if other people still have pending applications?

Got waitlisted at Emory's SURE program. Did anyone hear any similar or more positive news? Is anyone rejecting it?

Got waitlisted at Emory's SURE program. Did anyone hear any similar or more positive news? Is anyone rejecting it?
Well, less positive news. That's one of the ones I still haven't heard anything from. So I guess I'm likely rejected?

Well, less positive news. That's one of the ones I still haven't heard anything from. So I guess I'm likely rejected?

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I'm an Emory student and I know they have a certain number of allotted spots for Emory applicants. I hope you hear some good news soon.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. I'm an Emory student and I know they have a certain number of allotted spots for Emory applicants. I hope you hear some good news soon.
Thanks, you too! They can't leave us hanging much longer right :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to Emory Sure, Indiana: Animal behavior, USC: behavioral and brain sciences, and the leadership alliance (Columbia, UChicago, and Stanford). I haven't heard from a single one of them yet. Has anyone else? Should I assume rejection and start making alternative plans for the summer?

I've applied to Emory Sure, Indiana: Animal behavior, USC: behavioral and brain sciences, and the leadership alliance (Columbia, UChicago, and Stanford). I haven't heard from a single one of them yet. Has anyone else? Should I assume rejection and start making alternative plans for the summer?
I think you should always have a backup plan. Honestly, though, I think you should've cast a wider net than that. But you can't change the past. So whatever.

About how much research experience do these programs typically look for? Im asking to apply my next summer, not this one. I will have about 3 sem+half of summer(160 hours during the summer, 40hrs/wk*4wks) of research under my belt by then.

About how much research experience do these programs typically look for? Im asking to apply my next summer, not this one. I will have about 3 sem+half of summer(160 hours during the summer, 40hrs/wk*4wks) of research under my belt by then.

You're fine.

I also applied to/haven't heard from Emory, and Leadership Alliance UChicago & Stanford. I have a backup plan but they are getting anxious to hear if I'm committed. It's stressing me out. But I believe Emory's site said notification by April 15?
Edit: Forgot to add, with Leadership Alliance, you only get an email for acceptance. If you're rejected it'll just be on your account.

Last edited:
Just got another offer on the table. Really difficult decisions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!

So excited! Hope to see any of you guys who are going to be a NYU this summer... I will be in the CNS lab!

Good luck to those still waiting.

Hey guys. I've been thinking recently that I'd like to find a way to get some research in the 4 months before Ms1. Reading this thread it seems like the app cycle started a long time ago while I was busy interviewing and getting school application stuff done. Are there still programs that take apps a couple months before the summer? It seems like the programs you guys are applying to are super competitive and I only have about a years worth of research. Is there someplace I can read more about these programs?

My best bet is probably to get started early at a lab at my future school, but I wanted to see if any of you had suggestions about summer programs. Thanks!

PS I've already graduated so I don't even know if any of these programs would consider me.

Hey guys. I've been thinking recently that I'd like to find a way to get some research in the 4 months before Ms1. Reading this thread it seems like the app cycle started a long time ago while I was busy interviewing and getting school application stuff done. Are there still programs that take apps a couple months before the summer? It seems like the programs you guys are applying to are super competitive and I only have about a years worth of research. Is there someplace I can read more about these programs?

My best bet is probably to get started early at a lab at my future school, but I wanted to see if any of you had suggestions about summer programs. Thanks!

PS I've already graduated so I don't even know if any of these programs would consider me.

Not many of the programs are for people that have graduated, and coupled with the deadlines already passing, I'd follow any leads you have now.

Has anyone heard back from the UNMC SURP program? I was rejected from two of the others that I applied to (Minneapolis Heart Institute, and Colorado Children's Hospital), and waitlisted at U of M LSSURP, so the only one I'm waiting on is University of Nebraska Medical Center. I've been scouring the website, trying to see when they've accepted applicants in the past, but I can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone know?

I applied last year and got an acceptance (first pick, I assume) on March 13 (March 1st due date). It was crazy fast. Granted, I had turned that app in which all the other Feb 1 ones, so that may have helped speed things up. The program directors are good about responding, so I would just call/email to double check. That said, it's only been a month since the UNMC app was due, so it's still feasible to get in (first picks usually get two weeks, then a week or two for others down the line until all spots are full).

I agree with @suninthesky. You should just start in a lab at your med school. I have yet to come in contact with a pre-MS1 program. There are only these SURFs/REUs that are well past their deadlines and which uniformly only accept people with at least one more undergraduate semester,and post-bac research programs. There may be a program out there, but it probably wouldn't be worth the effort to find it so late. Hopefully a lab at your program will be willing to take you on. Good luck!

Hey guys I just have a quick question. why would u guys want to go to an amgen/any other program if you don't go to school there? wouldnt it be better to stay at your home institution and work on the same project for a few years? i know you can only do amgen once so....
sorry if i'm ignorant, i just really dont see the point of going across the country for a program for only 10 weeks???

Along the same lines as @kingrumak, you should have research experience at both your university and an external program if at all possible. If you go to Harvard and are in one of the preeminent labs and will be able to get a pub if you stay the summer (or similar circumstance), stay. If you don't work in one of the best labs in your field, seek one out via these programs. You won't get a publication (unless you just get incredibly lucky and the grad student you work with is nice enough to list you), but it's another (hopefully awesome) recommendation from a professor who may be more widely known than your home profs. I go to a smallish liberal arts school, so has been especially important for me. The chance to experience a graduate lab environment (vs. mostly undergrads) has been invaluable. The pace at which you work is so astronomically different.
Plus, at your home university, you'll be tempted to spend more time with friends and take summer classes so you won't get as much done. These feel like full time jobs. Also, in these programs, you meet awesome new people who can tell you about their schools (helps when considering grad schools) and you start to build a network of fellow scientists, which will help when you are looking for postdocs and such.

If you participate in a summer REU do you usually get a publication out of it?

How long do REUs usually give you to reply? I found out about one on Wednesday and they said that they want to hear back by the end of the week.

How long do REUs usually give you to reply? I found out about one on Wednesday and they said that they want to hear back by the end of the week.
Typically give you about a week to reply back.

Only if you get super lucky. Ten weeks is hardly enough time to get good data, let alone write a paper. But, as with anything, it depends on your field, your prior experience, and the step at which you join the project. Bottom line, don't plan on it.

Also, I just got rejected from a program I withdrew from. Lols.

Qucik general question for everyone here.
I'm a grad student (SMP)... would any of these programs accept me? Or is this solely geared for undergrad students?
Furthermore am I way too late to apply?
Thanks!

It's doubtful. In some cases, you might be able to do a couple assays or quick experiments that contribute to an ongoing project in the lab and could get an authorship that way. Whether or not you can get a first author publication will largely depend on the nature of your project. Some projects just take longer to get data from (animal studies come to mind) while others not so much. But like @Genore said, publications in general are pretty hard to come by for an undergraduate and luck does indeed play a factor.

Qucik general question for everyone here.
I'm a grad student (SMP)... would any of these programs accept me? Or is this solely geared for undergrad students?
Furthermore am I way too late to apply?
Thanks!
The programs being discussed hear are meant for undergraduate students. I have never seen a joint grad student and undergraduate summer research program. There are programs out there for graduate students and med school students but I would think that it would be too late to apply to them.

I applied last year and got an acceptance (first pick, I assume) on March 13 (March 1st due date). It was crazy fast. Granted, I had turned that app in which all the other Feb 1 ones, so that may have helped speed things up. The program directors are good about responding, so I would just call/email to double check. That said, it's only been a month since the UNMC app was due, so it's still feasible to get in (first picks usually get two weeks, then a week or two for others down the line until all spots are full).

Wow that is really fast! I definitely should have been more on top of it and turned in the app earlier than the day before it was due, but I didn't. Do you have any idea if they notified the people they weren't accepting?

I'm a freshman and made the mistake of only applying to a few research programs. Even though I still haven't heard back from all of the programs yet, I would still like to look into other ways of getting a stipend to do independent summer research in a lab of my choice. I do have a lab that I can work at but it is about 500 miles away from home and I don't think I can pay for an apartment and the flight by myself.
Do any of you know any other ways I can get a stipend/funding in this short amount of time? I have a good GPA and have about 3 years of prior research experience. Any advice/guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! :)

Anyone know that if you will be working in a lab run by a physician in a summer program, will they allow you to shadow them sometimes, or is that just something that generally doesn't happen?

Still haven't heard anything from my 3 leadership alliance sites. Should I take it as a rejection? There is nothing posted on my account. It just says "no decisions have been made. Check back later." My three sites were Harvard, Columbia, and U of Chicago.

Last edited:
I got wait listed at Emory! I know it's not as good as an acceptance,but they said that I would know within this next week if I was going to be accepted. If I'm on the wait list is there any chance that I could actually be accepted into the program?

I got wait listed at Emory! I know it's not as good as an acceptance,but they said that I would know within this next week if I was going to be accepted. If I'm on the wait list is there any chance that I could actually be accepted into the program?

Yes, a lot of these programs pull heavily from their waitlists largely because you can only commit to one program once and can't pull out unless there are some dire circumstances in your end.

Anyone know that if you will be working in a lab run by a physician in a summer program, will they allow you to shadow them sometimes, or is that just something that generally doesn't happen?

Depends on the PI, but in my one of the programs I was in, one of friends worked under a PI who was a cardiologist and she was able to shadow her. So it's definitely possible... Though she had to be at the hospital on a Saturday morning by 6 AM.:hungover:

I'm a freshman and made the mistake of only applying to a few research programs. Even though I still haven't heard back from all of the programs yet, I would still like to look into other ways of getting a stipend to do independent summer research in a lab of my choice. I do have a lab that I can work at but it is about 500 miles away from home and I don't think I can pay for an apartment and the flight by myself.
Do any of you know any other ways I can get a stipend/funding in this short amount of time? I have a good GPA and have about 3 years of prior research experience. Any advice/guidance would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! :)

Look into any research grants at your school. Most schools have summer grants, but I think those deadlines might have passed. Plus most of these require a proposal and a PI letter. It doesn't hurt to look though.

I was waitlisted as well. Hoping to hear good news soon! Does anyone have any idea how many students they waitlist?

Wow that is really fast! I definitely should have been more on top of it and turned in the app earlier than the day before it was due, but I didn't. Do you have any idea if they notified the people they weren't accepting?
Yeah, I was totally surprised. I think I had gotten it in quick enough (and showed interest with the program director), had a high enough ACT (35), and I was likely enough (in terms of living in the region) to chose to get an MD/PhD there that the higher ups didn't have to debate much.
It probably depends on the program, since there are ~6 different ones run by different people. I think I got a rejection from the Cell one that I forgot to withdraw from (but told my third recommender not to submit the rec) a few weeks after I got the acceptance from the MD/PhD one. UNMC people are generally friendly so just call up the administrative assistant listed for your program and she (or he) out to be able to tell you at this point. Good luck!

You're a freshman, so I really wouldn't worry about it. You have two more years to do impressive things in the summer and now you know you have to start earlier so you'll be on top of it next time around. Take some online summer courses while you work at the family business/local coffee shop or do online tutoring. Or do a long distance project (data analysis or bioinformatics stuff) instead. There really isn't any funding I'm aware of that is still available late. Usually these program applications are due after most funding is dispersed because colleges want to keep their students there doing research because it's easier than finding external ones for programs like these. There was a NASA application set that was due this last week, so there is some potential to still find one, but you would have had to have written up a whole proposal and gotten recommendations, etc. by then. But, then again, maybe you'll get lucky.

About to start this week with 12 programs left to hear from (many thru CIC'S SROPs). This has to be the week I hear, right? Anyone else in my boat? Although I do assume 90% chance of rejection, I'm still anxious to know.

If you're going to University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston this summer, search for and join our 2014 Facebook group!

Does anyone know?
I contacted them and they told me decisions should be made by the end of this week. *fingers crossed*

I contacted them and they told me decisions should be made by the end of this week. *fingers crossed*

What departments did you apply to? I just got a 'no' from Pediatrics :/ I'm starting to think I will have to be at my current university for the summer.