Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I'm currently involved with a lab at my home institution (Top 20 if it matters). I'm taking a break from my project, but I have the option of returning to my lab (with a stipend) for the summer or going to the NIH. What's the advantage of interning with the NIH lab over my home institution lab?

Members don't see this ad.

@javalava

A new institutional experience, something different to talk about at interviews, another letter of rec (hopefully), maybe a chance at some new publications

However I'd honestly recommend sticking with your lab at home if you like it. Rarely can you start and finish a project within 8-10 weeks so it's better to be able to keep working on it during the school year. Plus you already know the lab and can make tangible contributions immediately

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I'm currently involved with a lab at my home institution (Top 20 if it matters). I'm taking a break from my project, but I have the option of returning to my lab (with a stipend) for the summer or going to the NIH. What's the advantage of interning with the NIH lab over my home institution lab?
I agree with litotes, but as someone who has stayed with their lab over the summer, I kind of wish I did REUs because I feel like it would make me look more accomplished - you can talk about your multiple research experiences rather than one long research experience. I think I just say this because I've been incredibly unlucky with my project and mostly have negative results (but hey! It's getting published now!) and I feel if I had done REUs I would have more skills and more poster presentations.

But then again, maybe if I hadn't spent my summers doing things that didn't work I wouldn't have gotten to the things that did work :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend you weigh the costs and benefits from both choices and come to a decision. Many admissions officers love to see students taken the courage to explore the world with their research and expand their horizons. Also, spending your summer at another institution while immersing yourself in what you do really is an amazing way for you to reflect on what you want to do in life, and, overall, develop as a person.

For me, my REU definitely gave me plenty of edges that I wouldn't have gotten had I chosen to stay at my home institution over the summer. Networking opportunities, professional development, access to exclusive symposiums/conferences, high-profile connections (who I still keep in touch with), and plenty of fun things to do while I was there. Also, I found that I had the chance to "regenerate" in preparation for the next academic year by spending my summer somewhere else.

Anyways, if you believe you will gain more from your home institution, go for it, but don't write off summer internships as "just another line on a resume" or something like that.

applied to ASM-URF during the winter 2014, and the committee sent email on early April saying that notifications will be sent via email by April 30th, which is today. But I have not received any email yet--does that mean rejection ? =(

I was accepted to EXROP. Don't know where I will be placed yet but my top choices are Einstein and Columbia.

Hi, I was nominated to EXROP this year, and I was wondering how you were notified of the acceptance?, I mean were you notified until late january or early january?

hey guys! Has anyone gone through the HHMI EXROP Process? I applied this year and will find out next week if I got in... I heard it's almost impossible to get into though unless you have a near perfect GPA (at least thats what one professor told me...). I am just curious how/when you were notified and if it REALLY is that hard to get into. Thanks!!!