Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think as long as you haven't received a rejection you shouldn't lose hope
Would it be safe to assume if I haven't received an email yet then I probably wasn't accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm not stellar: c3.67, s3.73; top 10 LAC, lots of research experience, and my statement was pretty unique I would say in terms of career goals. Don't lose hope though!

Im guessing you have some pretty good stats! haha

Hmm not stellar: c3.67, s3.73; top 10 LAC, lots of research experience, and my statement was pretty unique I would say in terms of career goals. Don't lose hope though!
Pretty solid stats! And thank you!

Dilemma: I was accepted to UTmb (University of Texas Medical Branch). The Good: clinical research (previously has been basic science for me), paid (3500--perhaps a relative con), the drawback: not a stellar top 20, which I did apply to.

The delimma: I have only received this acceptance, and no others (though also no rejections either). I must decide if I should take this offer by Wednesday. Thoughts?

Dilemma: I was accepted to UTmb (University of Texas Medical Branch). The Good: clinical research (previously has been basic science for me), paid (3500--perhaps a relative con), the drawback: not a stellar top 20, which I did apply to.

The delimma: I have only received this acceptance, and no others (though also no rejections either). I must decide if I should take this offer by Wednesday. Thoughts?
How many more ru waiting on?

Is there any penalty if you accept the offer but then withdraw later?

what do you do during these programs? your own research? helping professors? just lab work?

How competitive do you think you are for the top 20 programs?

Just take it. $3500 is pretty competitive given that the program is giving you housing. A summer program does not have to be in a top 20 med school in order for you to have a great experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any update from the leadership alliance?????

The Leadership Alliance will not contact you directly. The schools you applied to will most likely call or email you to inform you of their decision and your LA profile will be updated shortly thereafter.

@soccergirl128
How many more ru waiting on?
10 completed applications (7 of which are top 20), an additional 8 which were incomplete because one of my PI's of 2 years decided she was too busy to email (just needed to vent about that bit), and 10 more with deadlines that have not passed yet. A big concern of mine was whether a should even bother finishing the latter 10 applications, because even though they have interesting programs, I would be gambling giving up an acceptance.

@bwblue
How competitive do you think you are for the top 20 programs?
I wish I knew the answer to that! Anything short of perfect feels like your not adequate. Also, I don't know if the criteria is different for these programs (many of them are PhD or MD/PhD oriented), so, for instance, idk if my volunteering is totally disregarded or if publications are the focus etc. That said, for most of them I submitted 3near or on the deadline, so I think I might be blindly optimistic expecting any good news from these programs, unfortunately. If you want to know my stats I could tell you.

@plumhill
Is there any penalty if you accept the offer but then withdraw later?
Generally it is seen as unprofessional. The UMichigan REU posted a blurb saying that it is wrong and you should only take an acceptance if you actually intend on going. There is no punitive action, but if I applied to the Med School there word could get around that I'm unprofessional. The reasoning is somewhat tenuous, but I've seen it talked about in regards to acceptances into medical school and it was pretty severely admonished on this site by posters.

@nemo123
Just take it. $3500 is pretty competitive given that the program is giving you housing. A summer program does not have to be in a top 20 med school in order for you to have a great experience.
I think you are right. However, housing is not necessarily included, so it is less lucrative. I know you've had a pretty good cycle so you might know: how competitive is UTmb? How's the school? I've searched the forums and it looks like the location is dingy (?) and it is unranked from what I can tell (usually meaning bad?). It is the oldest school in Texas, which usually means its one of the best? Do you know the best schools in Texas?

what do you do during these programs? your own research? helping professors? just lab work?
It depends on the program, but a lot of times, a PI has some large ongoing project and there might be some smaller project within it that can be delegated to you. Many of the programs are out the research powerhouses of the world, and the research truly astounding and at the bleeding edge of our knowledge so it is exciting. The purpose is to give a full-scope of the research process, from beginning to end, in a condensed amount of time (it is abridged though). It is paid, which is a huge plus, but it also means that you are not above doing the more menial tasks of research, as entailed with any other full-time, 4ohr/week job.

Heyy guys! Does anyone know if mayo SURF is rolling admissions? :/ I see people have gotten in and I'm getting worried since I submitted my app on 1/29 (deadline 2/1).

Also, if I haven't started emailing PI's for the NIH SIP, are my chances really low?

@soccergirl128

10 completed applications (7 of which are top 20), an additional 8 which were incomplete because one of my PI's of 2 years decided she was too busy to email (just needed to vent about that bit), and 10 more with deadlines that have not passed yet. A big concern of mine was whether a should even bother finishing the latter 10 applications, because even though they have interesting programs, I would be gambling giving up an acceptance.

You can let them know that this is your first acceptance and say that you are really interested but would like a bit more time to consider other options. See what they say.

I have a question for people who sent multiple applications: Do you have to get different LOR's or do you just use the same letters? Thanks!

I have a question for people who sent multiple applications: Do you have to get different LOR's or do you just use the same letters? Thanks!
One of my PI's basically changed the first sentence, saying he recommended to Program XYZ specifically but everything that followed was the same; but my other PI had a generic sentence like " I recommended sat0ri for a summer research internship" or something

Reactions: 1 user
Reading these posts I am wondering if I should even bother. I am an average premed student, GPA is 3.64, science GPA 3.49, no previous research experience besides research projects that were part of science courses. Do I have a chance at some of these internships? I found 2 that I would apply to that are in my state, one is at a medical school as a research fellowship, the other is chemistry research at a university. Both applications are due 3/15.

i got an update of "on hold" from Weill Cornell on feb 5th....so wait list i guess
the other two i haven't gotten any updates

Oh ok. I still have nothing on my screen. Guess we'll just have to wait until the end of this month to get any real notifications. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Also if anyone applied to the Baylor SMART program let me know if you receive anything from them.

I submitted UCincinnati SURF 2 days ago. Kinda late considering rolling admissions, but we'll see.

One of my PI's basically changed the first sentence, saying he recommended to Program XYZ specifically but everything that followed was the same; but my other PI had a generic sentence like " I recommended sat0ri for a summer research internship" or something
Thanks! I only applied to one because i didnt want to ask my professors to write me 10+ LOR's :laugh:

Reading these posts I am wondering if I should even bother. I am an average premed student, GPA is 3.64, science GPA 3.49, no previous research experience besides research projects that were part of science courses. Do I have a chance at some of these internships? I found 2 that I would apply to that are in my state, one is at a medical school as a research fellowship, the other is chemistry research at a university. Both applications are due 3/15.
Ideally you want to apply to a lot more than that. The less competitive you feel the more you should apply to.Some programs look specifically for people with no experience as a way of providing exposure for these students (e.g., students from liberal arts colleges) while others select based on your qualifications. If you are an URM of some kind, there are tons of opportunities as well. On a personal note, I'd suggest applying out of state as well because it would be a fun opportunity to travel--many times, all expenses paid!

@nemo123

I think you are right. However, housing is not necessarily included, so it is less lucrative. I know you've had a pretty good cycle so you might know: how competitive is UTmb? How's the school? I've searched the forums and it looks like the location is dingy (?) and it is unranked from what I can tell (usually meaning bad?). It is the oldest school in Texas, which usually means its one of the best? Do you know the best schools in Texas?

Wait so are given housing or not? I don't know about UTMB, but in all honesty, school ranking doesn't matter much in terms of a summer program. In fact, I think less research intensive schools are better for undergrads because the PI isn't stuck all day writing grants and can actually talk to the people in their labs. It would be different if you were a grad student though. I did research at Baylor through its summer program there and to be honest, it does not matter where you do your research. My experience there with my PI was not good there to say the least; there was a lot of lab politics that I was not fond of.

Laso did anyone apply to Icahn Mt. Sinai? they have a interview date and it says.. check later... i guess that means we dont want you... :/

Wait so are given housing or not? I don't know about UTMB, but in all honesty, school ranking doesn't matter much in terms of a summer program. In fact, I think less research intensive schools are better for undergrads because the PI isn't stuck all day writing grants and can actually talk to the people in their labs. It would be different if you were a grad student though. I did research at Baylor through its summer program there and to be honest, it does not matter where you do your research. My experience there with my PI was not good there to say the least; there was a lot of lab politics that I was not fond of.

Really? Wow! What in particular about your experience did you not enjoy?

Did anybody else apply to EPFL? I'm curious as to what they're selecting for in candidates as their "selection criteria" is a little vague.

Did anybody else apply to EPFL? I'm curious as to what they're selecting for in candidates as their "selection criteria" is a little vague.

How is it vague? Be at the top of your class and have some research under your belt. Good writing skills don't hurt either.

How is it vague? Be at the top of your class and have some research under your belt. Good writing skills don't hurt either.

I guess I feel as though there is some unstated X-factor they're looking for above this. Though this could probably said about any competitive research program.

Thanks a lot. I think when it really comes down to it, that's what I was worried about. Definitely some consolation, and I think I've made up my mind now. That said, I'd still love to hear back from MIT or Stanford--just scrolling through the PI's research, I was astonished at some of the research going on there.

Sorry for being vague. The program description itself was vague, though. Something along the lines of housing is provided at a subsidized rate, but arrangements can be made so that housing is free. I presume it has something to do with whether you can afford it, and I was thinking since I have max need-based federal aid, I could possibly qualify for free housing (which would seal the deal). I plan to follow up on this, and hopefully this will stall them while I wait for other acceptances/rejections to come in.

Rejected from EPFL. 550 applications for 25 positions.

Rejected from EPFL, accepted at Rockefeller

have you applied before? and do you have any idea what kind of stats/research you need to get accepted? :-(

No i didnt apply before, so i have no idea. I kinda did everything last minute - as my school doesnt have premed advisor and i have to do everything on my own - with that being said I applied to 4 programs : NYU, Icahn Mt. Sinay, CUNY and Sloan Kettering - its also hard to find anything if you are not a resident of this country!!

I also received email from Mt. Sinai that they are screening applicants at this time...

No i didnt apply before, so i have no idea. I kinda did everything last minute - as my school doesnt have premed advisor and i have to do everything on my own - with that being said I applied to 4 programs : NYU, Icahn Mt. Sinay, CUNY and Sloan Kettering - its also hard to find anything if you are not a resident of this country!!

I also received email from Mt. Sinai that they are screening applicants at this time...

I still have yet to receive an email from Mt. Sinai and my interview date has not been updated… I submitted my application before February 1st but my application file complete says 2/7/2014 and my transcript says 2/14/14. Do you guys think that means I will not be considered?

11 days until JHU officially gives me my rejection email. Cant wait. :laugh:

Hi! Congarts! May I ask you, when did you apply for Rockefeller? I am still waiting for a reply :/

I applied on the deadline and I got an email from them yesterday.

I applied on the deadline and I got an email from them yesterday.
Ok, I applied on the deadline as well. I hope I will get some reply soon, either good or bad :)

Need advice.
Just got an acceptance from a UMichigan program, however they are giving me only until the 24th to decide. I've applied to many other top 10 programs and their decisions won't come out until late late February or early March.
Should I ask them if I can get an extra week or two?
Should I ask the other programs for accelerated review of my app?
Help?
I guess u have to ask how comp u r for the others. I got into um smart and would've accepted had it not been for the fact that I got into a different slightly more competitive one. I think UM is a great school and you'd have a good time there.

Ya got in NYU SURP notififed on the 9th of Feb anyone applied to UCSF tho?

You said u only applied to one program? Try to fill out a few more with March first deadlines. I have a couple if u want
The main problem is that im a freshman and many programs are for soph/junior only :( but if you have some with a March 1st deadline that accepts freshman then i would love to apply to more!