Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully. Has anyone received an acceptance yet? I looked through the thread, but I didn't notice any acceptances...
Not from the looks of it. One guy was penned as a finalist and then decided to go with another REU so hopefully some spots are opening up.

I got my rejection email from UCB Amgen today, so they're definitely working through applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got rejected from MIT Amgen. Not surprise. 3.952 GPA, Junior/ Chemistry Major , no research Experience.

Still waiting for UCB & UCSF Amgen. I predict that I will be rejected at these two sites, too.

Do you guys know why they don't send email at the same time?

I have no idea either, but my guess is some applicants are rejected by the overall application review committee (assuming there even is one), then others get sent to PIs but are rejected at that stage.

Haven't been rejected by UCB Amgen, so I suppose I'm still in the running somewhat. Didn't get a preliminary offer from Columbia Amgen, so I'm definitely not ahead but I'm not out. I was really hoping for an NIH Amgen acceptance, but you never know what they're looking for. As of right now, I feel good that I stood out enough to not be immediately rejected -- it at least means I'm doing something well enough to stay afloat.

Waitlisted as WashU, Waitlisted at UCLA, acceptance from UChicago and I just received an acceptance from Stanford like 5 minutes ago for those waiting to hear back from them. The problem is I have already accepted the Chicago offer... but I really want to go to the stanford program... it's too late to back out isn't it? I wasn't planning on applying to UChicago for grad school until they accepted me but even then I wasn't sure if I wanted to... What do I do guys?

Waitlisted as WashU, Waitlisted at UCLA, acceptance from UChicago and I just received an acceptance from Stanford like 5 minutes ago for those waiting to hear back from them. The problem is I have already accepted the Chicago offer... but I really want to go to the stanford program... it's too late to back out isn't it? I wasn't planning on applying to UChicago for grad school until they accepted me but even then I wasn't sure if I wanted to... What do I do guys?

If you're not intending on applying to UChicago for graduate school, it isn't likely that backing out of the program to do Stanford will hurt you.
Also inform UCLA you don't want to be on the waitlist so I'm not competing for a spot with you ;)

If you're not intending on applying to UChicago for graduate school, it isn't likely that backing out of the program to do Stanford will hurt you.
Also inform UCLA you don't want to be on the waitlist so I'm not competing for a spot with you ;)
I have no idea how binding these kinds of agreements are. If it's anything like applying to undergrad, it's technically not binding but it looks really ****ty to back out once you've already committed.

Haven't been rejected by UCB Amgen, so I suppose I'm still in the running somewhat. Didn't get a preliminary offer from Columbia Amgen, so I'm definitely not ahead but I'm not out. I was really hoping for an NIH Amgen acceptance, but you never know what they're looking for. As of right now, I feel good that I stood out enough to not be immediately rejected -- it at least means I'm doing something well enough to stay afloat.
That's how I feel right now. I got into Sloan Kettering SURP on Thursday and I honestly wouldn't be upset if that's the only program I got into, but I'm really eager to hear back from UCB, Columbia, and UCSF. The website said that preliminary offers usually mean a PI is interested in you, but aren't necessarily reflective of the admissions board decision.

I think it has more to do with integrity than whether you'll be blacklisted for graduate programs. I mean, I understand that you really wanted to go to the Stanford program, but it's just not a really nice thing to do. But it's your choice, so no pressure :)

I have no idea how binding these kinds of agreements are. If it's anything like applying to undergrad, it's technically not binding but it looks really ****ty to back out once you've already committed.

I already told UCLA and WashU to take me off their lists so no worries there.
My biggest question here is will it effect me for grad school next year when applying to other schools? Will it just hurt my chances at UChicago or would there by wider repercussions?

When did you get the waitlist notification from WashU?

I already told UCLA and WashU to take me off their lists so no worries there.
My biggest question here is will it effect me for grad school next year when applying to other schools? Will it just hurt my chances at UChicago or would there by wider repercussions?
While I'm no admissions director, I would say that it probably isn't a good idea to take back an offer acceptance if you plan on applying to that grad school.

I called Rochelle at WashU last week because Chicago had given me a hard deadline of last friday at noon and I was looking to see what my other options were before deciding. She told me Wednesday evening that I was waitlisted. If you call them they should get back to you.
As for Chicago, I wasn't planning on applying there for grad school. I realize backing out would burn all bridges with them. My question is if the repercussions would extend past that. What is the likelihood of other programs hearing about it?

I don't know that anyone here would have that kind of information.
I called Rochelle at WashU last week because Chicago had given me a hard deadline of last friday at noon and I was looking to see what my other options were before deciding. She told me Wednesday evening that I was waitlisted. If you call them they should get back to you.
As for Chicago, I wasn't planning on applying there for grad school. I realize backing out would burn all bridges with them. My question is if the repercussions would extend past that. What is the likelihood of other programs hearing about it?[/QUOTE
As for Chicago, I wasn't planning on applying there for grad school. I realize backing out would burn all bridges with them. My question is if the repercussions would extend past that. What is the likelihood of other programs hearing about it?

Yea I'm gunna talk to my profs about it in the morning, I'm just freaking out right now...

Was this Stanford amgen?

I applied to their Amgen, they accepted me as a "Genetics Scholar." It's effectively the same program but uses a different funding source from what I can gather. Although, I applied to the Amgen program. This is just their SSRP program in general

Haven't heard anything from Wash U Amgen. Anyone know what this means?

New here, but since I've been following this thread, just wanted to let everyone know that I just heard back from UCSF. I believe I put Amgen as my first choice but was accepted into the UCSF Summer Research Program.

EDIT: Also applied to MIT, Stanford, UCB, and NIH Amgen. Haven't heard from any of them. Although I got an email a few weeks ago saying my NIH *SIP* application was complete and under review by PIs. I wonder if this means I was not selected for the Amgen program at NIH.

Last edited:

I just visited Stanford today. It's the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. But it's also really strange. I come from a campus thats really rural but situated in a college town so I get that same organic and natural feel from Stanford. However, my campus has nearly 50,000 students at any one time while Stanford has 14,000 students max. The campus where classes and buildings are actually located are about covering the same amount of space although Stanford has WAY more actual land since it's the 2nd biggest in the world. As a result the campus looks a bit... deserted. Like it looks like the campus is on a summer semester on a regular Monday. It was disorienting to me. The residences are absolutely beautiful and the amenities are top notch. I would definitely recommend going there if you can in some way but I can't imagine how deserted the place will be in the summer.

I applied to their Amgen, they accepted me as a "Genetics Scholar." It's effectively the same program but uses a different funding source from what I can gather. Although, I applied to the Amgen program. This is just their SSRP program in general
Have you been accepted to a specific lab? or will they let you choose?

That is such an awkward situation. Hmm... Think about why you wanna go to Stanford? Do you want to go to grad school there? What are the pros and cons of each program? Will you be doing something you actually like/are interested in, in Stanford? Or do you just want Stanford at all costs, no matter what? Is the Chicago program not a right fit for you? It's a good idea to talk to your professors. I think they could def offer insight. And yeah, it looks kind of bad to get cold feet after agreeing to commit... But if you REALLY want Stanford then you shouldn't let that opportunity slip by. If you REALLY want Stanford you're probably gonna be bitter while you're at Chicago ("I could be at Stanford right now..." Lol)
I hope you are able to make a decision you feel confident about. Best of luck. And of you decide not to go to Stanford, you're still lucky you have something to fall back on.

Accepted to MIT/UCSF Amgen yesterday- does anyone know any specific advantages/disadvantages of either program? Still waiting on Stanford Amgen.

For the people accepted to MIT/Stanford Amgen already, what are your research interests/stats if you don't mind me asking. Just curious.

Have you been accepted to a specific lab? or will they let you choose?
They ask that I rank my top 5 lab choices and they will do their best to place me in one. To be honest, I would struggle choosing only 5, I love alot of the work their doing, it's exactly what I want to go into.

That is such an awkward situation. Hmm... Think about why you wanna go to Stanford? Do you want to go to grad school there? What are the pros and cons of each program? Will you be doing something you actually like/are interested in, in Stanford? Or do you just want Stanford at all costs, no matter what? Is the Chicago program not a right fit for you? It's a good idea to talk to your professors. I think they could def offer insight. And yeah, it looks kind of bad to get cold feet after agreeing to commit... But if you REALLY want Stanford then you shouldn't let that opportunity slip by. If you REALLY want Stanford you're probably gonna be bitter while you're at Chicago ("I could be at Stanford right now..." Lol)
I hope you are able to make a decision you feel confident about. Best of luck. And of you decide not to go to Stanford, you're still lucky you have something to fall back on.
Not only is Stanford an amazing program (I realize that Chicago is too) but I love the work they are doing. I had actually ranked all the schools I applied to by where I would be most interested in and Stanford is at the top of my list. They're doing research in exactly what I want to go into and I would love the chance to attend their grad school. As for Chicago, it's a great program but I wasn't planning to apply there for grad school because their research isn't what I was wanting to pursue. I've spoken with 2 of my professors this morning and both of them said to call Chicago and turn down their offer as gracefully as possible and to accept the one at Stanford. Since it's only been a few days they said it's not a huge deal and that Chicago likely knows what they have done by making their deadline so early. I still have 2 more profs to talk to but my mind is practically made up at this point.

For the people accepted to MIT/Stanford Amgen already, what are your research interests/stats if you don't mind me asking. Just curious.

My research interest areas were genetics, biochem, and developmental biology. I'm a junior biochemistry major at a small liberal arts school (roughly 1200 students) that has a rigorous science program but is limited in terms or research. I have a German minor and a theology minor (not that it matters) and a 3.8 cumulative and a 3.6 for major GPA. I'm a first generation college student from a disadvantaged background. I'm currently doing a directed research project under a professor at my home institution but that's the only research I've done.

To all; Thanks guys. It's been helpful getting different inputs on this. I was really freaking out last night, it's great knowing there are people out there who understand.

My research interest areas were genetics, biochem, and developmental biology. I'm a junior biochemistry major at a small liberal arts school (roughly 1200 students) that has a rigorous science program but is limited in terms or research. I have a German minor and a theology minor (not that it matters) and a 3.8 cumulative and a 3.6 for major GPA. I'm a first generation college student from a disadvantaged background. I'm currently doing a directed research project under a professor at my home institution but that's the only research I've done.

Thanks for the reply. I'm mainly interested in neuroscience, wonder if they're sending results based on different research areas. I come from a major research university so hopefully that's not putting me at a disadvantage. I'd really like to experience somewhere different for the summer though.

UPDATE: Rejected from MIT.
"While we reviewed your application with great interest and noted your academic accomplishments, you have not been selected as one of our Summer 2015 Amgen UROP Scholars."

Last edited:
"While we reviewed your application with great interest and noted your academic accomplishments, you have not been selected as one of our Summer 2015 Amgen UROP Scholars."

Sounds all too familiar! haha oh well, they probably had way too many applicants that really reflected a top 100 than a top 20, so I can't blame them. Wouldn't be surprised if it came down to the flip of a coin.

Anyone hear back FROM WashU yet? I assume they've sent out their first round of acceptances by now...

yup I'm tired of waiting. i'm emailing Johns Hopkins right now
They ask that I rank my top 5 lab choices and they will do their best to place me in one. To be honest, I would struggle choosing only 5, I love alot of the work their doing, it's exactly what I want to go into.

Not only is Stanford an amazing program (I realize that Chicago is too) but I love the work they are doing. I had actually ranked all the schools I applied to by where I would be most interested in and Stanford is at the top of my list. They're doing research in exactly what I want to go into and I would love the chance to attend their grad school. As for Chicago, it's a great program but I wasn't planning to apply there for grad school because their research isn't what I was wanting to pursue. I've spoken with 2 of my professors this morning and both of them said to call Chicago and turn down their offer as gracefully as possible and to accept the one at Stanford. Since it's only been a few days they said it's not a huge deal and that Chicago likely knows what they have done by making their deadline so early. I still have 2 more profs to talk to but my mind is practically made up at this point.

To all; Thanks guys. It's been helpful getting different inputs on this. I was really freaking out last night, it's great knowing there are people out there who understand.
I was in your shoes last year. I ended up turning down an offer I previously accepted. I absolutely enjoyed the program I ended up going to. There are moments though, when I wonder what it would have been like at the other program. Just follow your instincts, it shouldn't matter much if you turn them down. I would call and think of an excuse. Like just don't say "yeah I changed my mind" and do so as soon as possible, some people are still out there waiting on an acceptance!
P.S I would choose Stanford over UChicago.

Last edited: