Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Yale, WashU, or Dartmouth through the Leadership Alliance? It still says no decisions have been made for me.

I applied to Yale via Leadership Alliance. I kinda want to go there. No e-mail yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Harvard Medical School Immunology SURP: Accepted (Committed to here)
UCLA Amgen Scholars: Accepted

Accepted to UChicago through The Leadership Alliance

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, new here.

Been following the thread for awhile, thought I'd share my experience so far.

Applied to home university program and primarily AMGENs (6 of em): MIT, Columbia, Stanford, WashU, Utokyo, and UCSF

Rejected from MIT earlier today. Radio silence on every other front...not sure how to take it really.

Contacted UCSF. They're still going through applications on a rolling basis, apparently.

Contacted UCSF. They're still going through applications on a rolling basis, apparently.

Does this mean that those who applied closer to the deadline have virtually no chance of getting in?

Does this mean that those who applied closer to the deadline have virtually no chance of getting in?
No. I submitted my app an hour before the deadline.

Reactions: 2 users
Might depend on the program, then? I submitted mine at 8 that day and have yet to receive an acceptance or rejection.
That's probably true. I didn't list the AMGEN as my first choice program, so that might have something to do with it.

Makes sense. I think I did. Do you mind me asking what program you were accepted into?
I'm not sure. As someone mentioned earlier, the letter doesn't really specify. It says I've been offered a spot in the "2015 UCSF Summer Research Program", perhaps it's just the general SRTP.

Hey all, new member here, I too have been following the discussion for a while...I've applied to:

Mayo SURF (Neurobiology)
Mount Sinai SURP
UMichigan CVC Fellowship
Harvard Orthopedic Trauma Internship.

Still no news. Has anyone heard back from any of these places?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting... At least it looks like they're getting through applications. I think last year they made notifications around mid-March.

Hey guys, I'm new to research but fortunately got a summer fellowship. I don't know how to go about contacting my mentor to discuss a project...I'm a bit scared to contact her. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

What do u all think - Mayo or UTSW??

Which would you pick to do an internship at?

Hey all, new member here, I too have been following the discussion for a while...I've applied to:

Mayo SURF (Neurobiology)
Mount Sinai SURP
UMichigan CVC Fellowship
Harvard Orthopedic Trauma Internship.

Still no news. Has anyone heard back from any of these places?

I applied to Mayo SURF neurobio as well. Still no news :(

Rejected last night from the Vanderbilt VINSE REU program. Just a heads up if anyone else applied. Still waiting on Vanderbilt UCRIP though.

has anyone called stanford amgen to ask them when they would release more notifications? or did they release all the acceptances?

To anyone who is waiting, check your "spam" in your email. I found my letter in Spam, not in Inbox.

Just got accepted to Columbia Amgen!! Received an email about half an hour ago :)

Hey guys, I'm new to research but fortunately got a summer fellowship. I don't know how to go about contacting my mentor to discuss a project...I'm a bit scared to contact her. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!
You can just email her, asking what research project you will be working on for the summer. Also ask if there are any articles from the lab that she thinks will be suitable for you to read. Give her time to reply your email, like don't send one everyday when you don't get a prompt reply.
Don't be scared, remember the PIs were at our stage not too long ago too. Do you best and don't try to over impress.

0 acceptances, 0 denials. Getting frustrated and worried. Any advice?

Reactions: 2 users
Just pretend nothing is happening. That's what I'm doing...just another day :whistle:

It's hard though...

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone hear anything from UCSD MTSP or Scripps SURF yet? The website says by March 27th. I really want to go to Cali for the summer, hopefully they'll reply by the 13th.

I just looked at the previous years, and there's only been 1 Asian from 2010-2014 for UCSD MTSP... My hopes just got crushed... a lot.

Anyone hear anything from UCSD MTSP or Scripps SURF yet? The website says by March 27th. I really want to go to Cali for the summer, hopefully they'll reply by the 13th.

I just looked at the previous years, and there's only been 1 Asian from 2010-2014 for UCSD MTSP... My hopes just got crushed... a lot.
My friend received an offer and accepted it from Scripps like 1-2 weeks ago.

Just got placed on the alternate list at UTSW.

Be as professional as possible. Tell her your name and that you've been placed in her lab for the summer. Ask her if she knows what you'll be working on this summer and seem eager... Good luck!

Anyone hear from Tufts BDBS? If you were accepted, what was the deadline? I'm apparently on their waitlist (or at least haven't been flat out rejected) based on the email I just received.

Anyone hear from Tufts BDBS? If you were accepted, what was the deadline? I'm apparently on their waitlist (or at least haven't been flat out rejected) based on the email I just received.
I haven't heard anything from them. Did you submit your application well before the deadline? Did you JUST find out?

I haven't heard anything from them. Did you submit your application well before the deadline? Did you JUST find out?
Yes, I did submit just before the deadline. I emailed them since I have an offer with a deadline fast approaching. They told me they were waiting on acceptances they had already sent out and weren't able to make any offers as of right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you get an email from Ms. Arista earlier in the week? I still haven't heard anything else.
Nope, I got one from Vanessa Powell on behalf of Nancy Street today around 1 pm CST. I applied to the SURF btw.

Just

Just got hit with that alternate. I'm kinda upset because I think that lowkey means denied with a buffer.
lol I agree.
Just got put on the alternate for UTSW :/

Is there any chance?
It seems like there are so many of us on that list lol. There's probably a chance if 10 people reject their offer, which I highly doubt.

lol I agree.

It seems like there are so many of us on that list lol. There's probably a chance if 10 people reject their offer, which I highly doubt.
Are you guys talking about the SURF program or the SUMR program at UTSW?

People who've heard back from SR-EIP Leadership Alliance, are you guys doing wet-lab research or humanities/social sciences?

What schools do those of you that were accepted into AMGEN go to? I go to UNC and research in a prestigious cancer lab and was told going to a big research university really hurt my chances and would like to know if that's true.

What schools do those of you that were accepted into AMGEN go to? I go to UNC and research in a prestigious cancer lab and was told going to a big research university really hurt my chances and would like to know if that's true.
I attend a state college not particularly known for its research in the northeast and have worked in a genetics lab since this past summer.