Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Just go"??? Girl, congratulations! (I know people who would commit MURDER to be in you shoes. MURDER.) :claps:
Haha go you too :) Pretty darn sure Harvard Amgen is up there in the spots to assassinate for as well :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just rejected from Stanford for anyone still waiting

Thought I'd finally post after following the thread for a bit just in case anyone is still waiting to hear back from schools.
Accepted: Harvard FAS Systems Biology (accepted), Princeton Mol & QCB, Harvard-MIT Biomedical Informatics, UCLA AMGEN (declined)
Rejected: Berkeley Biology REU, Stanford AMGEN
Still waiting: Berkeley AMGEN, UCSF AMGEN

I would also very much like to know whether Harvard and MIT have kitchens. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd finally post after following the thread for a bit just in case anyone is still waiting to hear back from schools.
Accepted: Princeton Mol & QCB, Harvard-MIT Biomedical Informatics, UCLA Amgen (declined)
Rejected: Berkeley Biology REU, Stanford AMGEN
Still waiting: Berkeley AMGEN, Harvard FAS Systems Biology (interviewed), UCSF AMGEN

I would also very much like to know whether Harvard and MIT has kitchens. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I share your curiosity.

Last edited:
Also waiting on UCB Amgen and Columbia Amgen.

To those that were accepted to Harvard, UCB, WUSTL, Stanford AMGEN etc., what were your stats and what do you think made you stand out from the other applicants?

To those that were accepted to Harvard, UCB, WUSTL, Stanford AMGEN etc., what were your stats and what do you think made you stand out from the other applicants?
Totally willing to share! I love learning from others... :highfive:I got into the Harvard Amgen and I am a junior in biochemistry (with minors in microbiology and genetics) at a large research university. Last summer, I researched at the University of Tennessee through an REU (Micro). I've been in a cell biology/genetics/molecular biology lab since January 2014. I work independently (on my own project, no graduate student overlord) about ~15 hours a week.
Stats:
Cumulative GPA = 3.73
Major/Science GPA = 3.93
I have one publication (on which I am a coauthor) that is under review. I have taken 6 graduate-level science courses in virology, immunology, molecular signaling, biochemistryI/II, and molecular genetics. Plus I have taken quantum mechanics/thermodynamics (read: lots of advanced math) that allows me to be considered "well-rounded" in combination with all my other classes.
Oh, and I'm going to pursue a PhD in molecular cell biology to pursue my interests that span everything from virology, immunology, genetics, development
I think what made me stand out was my letters of recommendation, my passion for science, and my academic experience. I don't have perfect grades, but I have experience pursuing research in multiple (related) disciplines and evident motivation for research. Also, I was able to analyze literature (that was representative of my interests) in my essays. I guess it paid off, because I got into Harvard Amgen, University of Oregon SPUR, and NYU SURP thus far.
The key is figuring out what you love, finding what you're good at, and combining the two until you discover the perfect combination.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally willing to share! I love learning from others... :highfive:I got into the Harvard Amgen and I am a junior in biochemistry (with minors in microbiology and genetics) at a large research university. Last summer, I researched at the University of Tennessee through an REU (Micro). I've been in a cell biology/genetics/molecular biology lab since January 2014. I work independently (on my own project, no graduate student overlord) about ~15 hours a week.
Stats:
Cumulative GPA = 3.73
Major/Science GPA = 3.93
I have one publication (on which I am a coauthor) that is under review. I have taken 6 graduate-level science courses in virology, immunology, molecular signaling, biochemistryI/II, and molecular genetics. Plus I have taken quantum mechanics/thermodynamics (read: lots of advanced math) that allows me to be considered "well-rounded" in combination with all my other classes.
Oh, and I'm going to pursue a PhD in molecular cell biology to pursue my interests that span everything from virology, immunology, genetics, development
I think what made me stand out was my letters of recommendation, my passion for science, and my academic experience. I don't have perfect grades, but I have experience pursuing research in multiple (related) disciplines and evident motivation for research. Also, I was able to analyze literature (that was representative of my interests) in my essays. I guess it paid off, because I got into Harvard Amgen, University of Oregon SPUR, and NYU SURP thus far.
The key is figuring out what you love, finding what you're good at, and combining the two until you discover the perfect combination.

You're amazing.

I'm nowhere near @biochemgirl67 in terms of academics, but I did manage to get into Columbia Amgen (Tissue Engineering). I'm a BME major with a 3.62 at a top20 research uni and have been involved in research since Fall 2013. I have one publication in which I am a coauthor on biomedical optics, but realized that wasn't the field I wanted to specialize in. I interned at NYU School of Medicine last summer in an imaging lab with live animal studies and didn't like that either. I finally found my research interests in tissue engineering / biomaterials / iPSC and helped to coauthor another manuscript we hope to submit very soon for review. I have my own project in a biomaterials lab here as well.

I talked about my career goals in my essay and emphasized my passion for research, but don't really know what stuck out because there are so many competitive applicants who apply for these programs. I think you just have to give it your all to put yourself in a competitive position and then it's really up to the committees.

Congrats! Which program at Penn State?

The SURIP program at Hershey. :)

For anyone interested:
I'm a sophomore, Biochemistry major with 3.73cGPA. Courses in Cell Biology, Organic Chemistry, Microbiology. Pretty short compared to most people. I attend a tiny liberal arts school (<1500 students). But I really love research, so I've been researching since freshmen year, through the summer, and continued all sophomore year. I've also presented four times at various conferences, two oral and two poster. I also TA for General Chemistry and have been offered to TA for Organic Chemistry as a junior. I avoided applying to AMGEN's and big name schools this year because it wasn't worth the effort, given my current stats. Ah, and I am an Asian male so I avoided places like Leadership Alliance.

Accepted to SURIP at Penn State (Hershey), Alternate for UTSW and UTSA. Haven't heard back from UNM or UTH. But my essays varied immensely for these schools. For a few schools I passionately stated I wanted to further my current biochemical research (Penn State being one of them) using my experience as justification, and for others I stated I wanted to explore a different field (UTSW and UTSA) to build a stronger skill set for graduate school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to anyone who got into your desired program. To anyone who is still waiting, be patient and don't lose hope. To anyone who got rejected, don't give up, find ways to boast your stats and reapply next year. "When one door closes, another opens."

To those who will apply to Amgen next year, build your research experience at your university ASAP. It is much more important than high GPA. Don't make my mistake. I am Chemistry Major/ Junior. My cumulative GPA is 3.952, and major GPA is 4.0. However, I don't have any research experience. I was obsessed with protecting my GPA, and ignored everything.

I got rejected from MIT Amgen. I'm still waiting for UCB and UCSF amgen, but I know that I gonna get rejected anyways. The good thing is that I'm in a research group at my university with my own project - synthesizing a novel molecule.

Hey, guys. I was wondering has anyone heard from Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein, Cinci Children's, FPHLP at U Michigan, or CLIMB-UP at Suny Buffalo. This waiting game is killer.

I applied to the Stanford Amgen and got into their SSP (pretty much the same program, just with a different funding source). I also got into the REUs at University of Chicago and Brandeis. I don't have anywhere near the amount of experience it sounds like most other people have, but I have a unique background. I'm a junior biochem major with minors in german and theology. I have a 3.8 cumulative and 3.6 major GPA. I've taken intros in bio and chem as well as organic, biochem, genetics, physics, and will be in molecular this spring. I go to a small liberal arts school with less than 1200 people and a rigorous science program but not much opportunity for research. Even so, I'm working on a self-designed directed research project under a professor here that I began in January. Last summer I had an internship with a small science education non-profit and have previously done the whole camp gig at a place that was ecology based. Pretty mundane as far as all that goes. But, I'm a first generation college student, child of teen parents, and am working through school on my own. I've worked through a lot of adversity to reach where I am now and it makes for a good story that made my essays engaging. I also had a couple of really good recommendations from professors that know me well. When it comes down to it I would say it doesn't matter your background as long as you make yourself an individual and show a passion for research and knowledge of their program. In all my essays I made it clear I was looking into their graduate program as well as was familiar with some of the research going on there. I also want to go into research and eventually become a professor and run my own lab one day, I'm not sure if that helped me one way or the other, but I focused on that in my essays.

Also, waitlisted at WashU and UCLA Amgen, rejected from Berkeley and Harvard Amgen, and haven't heard from CSU's REU, Columbia's Amgen, UCSF's Amgen, or Jax Labs' SSP.

I also want to go into research and eventually become a professor and run my own lab one day, I'm not sure if that helped me one way or the other, but I focused on that in my essays.

Because of this, I'm convinced every program has its own specific objective, i.e., what the NIH is looking for is wildly different than Stanford in terms of the Amgen program. I say this from a purely analytical perspective, but many schools that assume applicants have heavy exposure to research would, I'd imagine, consider such bold and concrete objectives as naive. For example, wanting professorship and a lab without being exposed to the large university research environment is like saying you want to drive a manual VW Golf R for your dream car without having ever driven a car, but you're set on it anyway. And from there, it seems Stanford's mission more to give folks without the opportunity to experience that standard research climate (you're from a small liberal arts college with a net student population smaller than my state school's biology department, so you'd be hard pressed to find the experience at your school), and to pick folks who are really, really trying and doing well (such as yourself). Compared to say, UCLA, that emphasizes more "you've been exposed to it, know it, can do it, so work for free and do it well, but we'll teach you some new tricks to get ahead" rather than providing "research climate" experience.

So, in some cases, being at, say, UPenn, even as an URM, is an inherent disadvantage when applying to some programs because those programs may be looking for incredibly specific things such as attendance at small schools with little to no research opportunities.

Because of this, I'm convinced every program has its own specific objective, i.e., what the NIH is looking for is wildly different than Stanford in terms of the Amgen program. I say this from a purely analytical perspective, but many schools that assume applicants have heavy exposure to research would, I'd imagine, consider such bold and concrete objectives as naive. For example, wanting professorship and a lab without being exposed to the large university research environment is like saying you want to drive a manual VW Golf R for your dream car without having ever driven a car, but you're set on it anyway. And from there, it seems Stanford's mission more to give folks without the opportunity to experience that standard research climate (you're from a small liberal arts college with a net student population smaller than my state school's biology department, so you'd be hard pressed to find the experience at your school), and to pick folks who are really, really trying and doing well (such as yourself). Compared to say, UCLA, that emphasizes more "you've been exposed to it, know it, can do it, so work for free and do it well, but we'll teach you some new tricks to get ahead" rather than providing "research climate" experience.

So, in some cases, being at, say, UPenn, even as an URM, is an inherent disadvantage when applying to some programs because those programs may be looking for incredibly specific things such as attendance at small schools with little to no research opportunities.
This is so true. I think that each program is looking for something a little different, and that's why it can seem random. That's why someone who got into Columbia can be rejected from Stanford, for example. Although I do think these programs understand that research interests and career goals change IMMENSELY between undergraduate graduation and graduate/medical school completion. So I don't think that they are looking for you to know what you want to do based on the school you went to. Rather, I think it's important to show yourself academically and professionally successful (in research projects, for example) and also motivated to pursue education/research to its full extent. They are looking for you to be excited and passionate, even if you still want to keep your options open about the nature of your future career in scientific research.

Hey, my gpa major GPA is 3.8 for bio and 3.7 for chem. Top 3 school. I don't have any publications, but did propose a research idea that I pursued and my PI is planning to publish the results. My personal statement was creative, and the admins for the program enjoyed it a lot (according to them lol). Been doing research since high school.
Again, I stress the personal statement...it definitely helps the admins to read a super interesting statement after they've been going through hundreds of apps. Don't be afraid to think outside the box...but don't do anything you'll regret. I'm no superstar, but after I have learned some of the key points required to get into these programs, it has been much easier to apply successfully.

Accepted: MIT Amgen, Harvard Leadership Alliance, UVM Neuro Program, Broad Institute of MIT/Harvard, Mass General SRP, UChicago REU, Vanderbilt Neuro Program, Scripps
Waitlisted: Princeton Mol
Rejected: Berkeley Bio REU, Sloan.

Hey, guys. I was wondering has anyone heard from Mount Sinai, Albert Einstein, Cinci Children's, FPHLP at U Michigan, or CLIMB-UP at Suny Buffalo. This waiting game is killer.

I received an acceptance email from Albert Einstein SURP about 6 days ago. I accepted Mayo SURF 30 minutes before I got accepted to Albert Einstein SURP. I hope I made the right decision.

Hey, my gpa major GPA is 3.8 for bio and 3.7 for chem. Top 3 school. I don't have any publications, but did propose a research idea that I pursued and my PI is planning to publish the results. My personal statement was creative, and the admins for the program enjoyed it a lot (according to them lol). Been doing research since high school.
Again, I stress the personal statement...it definitely helps the admins to read a super interesting statement after they've been going through hundreds of apps. Don't be afraid to think outside the box...but don't do anything you'll regret. I'm no superstar, but after I have learned some of the key points required to get into these programs, it has been much easier to apply successfully.

Accepted: MIT Amgen, Harvard Leadership Alliance, UVM Neuro Program, Broad Institute of MIT/Harvard, Mass General SRP, UChicago REU, Vanderbilt Neuro Program, Scripps

Congrats on being accepted into so many research programs!!
I was just wondering which Scripps program did you get into?
I applied to the Scripps SURF program and got accepted into the SURF program at the California Campus.

Last edited:
I got accepted to WUSTL BioMedRAP program. I attend a small private uni ~1500 students, majoring in Physics with a track in Biophysics.
Stats are
Science GPA:3.99 cGPA:3.935 - Asian Male, and.... right above low-income threshold <-- this sucked for apps that asks for why I should be considered disadvantaged xD
I was on a nonlinear dynamics project for 2 semester, and full time for a summer. No pubs.
I have 3 leadership positions, Co-Pres, VP, and Treasurer and I tutor 8 hours a week.
My letters were stellar, mainly due to the fact that there are about 15 Physics major total here, so I'm pretty close with my professors and mentor.
My Personal statement, however, was pretty general since I applied to many programs, but I did emphasize a lot on what made choose my area of study, what area of research I am interested in pursuing in the future, and why I want to do an M.D./Ph.D.

Have you received a list of PIs to choose from for WashU yet? I sent my form in on Monday and received a confirmation that it was received, but no list yet...

I have not seen a list yet. I was going to call Rochelle on Friday and get some more logistical information. I'll send you any information I receive :)

I could not agree more with stressing the importance of the personal statement. I wouldn't say I had a particularly creative personal statement, but it was focused on why I love research and how the program will further my research career. Your letters of recommendation are also extremely important. I'm pretty sure that is how I got my first REU last year as a freshman since the director of the program commented about how the admissions committee was very impressed with what my letter writers said. If you go to a R1 institution, having prior research is a MUST since it shows your interest in research. My GPA isn't the highest (cum: >3.8, major > 3.75), but I truly have a passion for research and emphasized it in my personal statement. If you go to a liberal arts college, I would recommend applying to more REU programs, as they are often targeted at exposing students from institutions that do not have many research opportunities to high calibre research.

Accepted: Harvard FAS Center for Systems Biology, Harvard-MIT HST Biomedical Informatics, Princeton Mol and QCB, and UCLA Amgen
Waiting: Berkeley Amgen, UCSF Amgen
Rejected: Stanford Amgen, Berkeley Bio REU

I could not agree more with stressing the importance of the personal statement. I wouldn't say I had a particularly creative personal statement, but it was focused on why I love research and how the program will further my research career. Your letters of recommendation are also extremely important. I'm pretty sure that is how I got my first REU last year as a freshman since the director of the program commented about how the admissions committee was very impressed with what my letter writers said. If you go to a R1 institution, having prior research is a MUST since it shows your interest in research. My GPA isn't the highest (cum: >3.8, major > 3.75), but I truly have a passion for research and emphasized it in my personal statement. If you go to a liberal arts college, I would recommend applying to more REU programs, as they are often targeted at exposing students from institutions that do not have many research opportunities to high calibre research.

Accepted: Harvard FAS Center for Systems Biology, Harvard-MIT HST Biomedical Informatics, Princeton Mol and QCB, and UCLA Amgen
Waiting: Berkeley Amgen, UCSF Amgen
Rejected: Stanford Amgen, Berkeley Bio REU

Seconding/Thirding/Fourthing/Some Numbering this. I'm sending a thank you card to the professors who had written the letters for me because they were awesome and kept in touch with me throughout the whole application process.

On a separate note, I know that the HST reply deadline is supposed to be tomorrow. Seeing as you're still waiting on a few programs, what do you plan on doing? Though it doesn't apply to me, I thought that this knowledge might be useful to others who are in the same boat.

I don't think anyone applied to this program, but just in case anyone is lurking...

I got accepted to ACS IREU!!! I'm spending the summer in GERMANY :soexcited:

Congrats! I also applied but haven't heard anything. I have the same question as Doctor_Dre, how did they contact you?

Seconding/Thirding/Fourthing/Some Numbering this. I'm sending a thank you card to the professors who had written the letters for me because they were awesome and kept in touch with me throughout the whole application process.

On a separate note, I know that the HST reply deadline is supposed to be tomorrow. Seeing as you're still waiting on a few programs, what do you plan on doing? Though it doesn't apply to me, I thought that this knowledge might be useful to others who are in the same boat.

HST was definitely one of my top choices and seemed like a fantastic program; however, I ended up choosing another program since I was paired with a PI whose research I was really interested in. If you are still waiting for others programs, I would recommend immediately emailing HST to see if they'll extend their deadline. I asked for a deadline extension for one of the other programs, and they were very accommodating, but since it's so close to the deadline, you should be prepared for the case that HST doesn't grant an extension. I would also call the programs you are waiting for to see if they can give you your application status. I told my interviewer that I had a deadline this Friday, which is probably the reason why I received my acceptance the day after my interview. No matter what you end up deciding, I'm sure you'll end up in a great program!

Last edited:
Congrats! I also applied but haven't heard anything. I have the same question as Doctor_Dre, how did they contact you?
I received an email directly from Dr. LaPrade, the coordinator of the program (not from [email protected]).

From what I understand, the PIs make the final choice of what intern they get, so it's possible some of them are still making a decision. Good luck!

Update for anyone else who wanted to know about MIT kitchen availability:

To the best of my friend's knowledge (I forgot that I could have just straight up asked him from the very start since he attends the school), every residence hall has kitchens.

Just got an acceptance from Brandeis REU in Cell and Molecular Visualization. I'm gunna tell them I took another offer, but thought I'd post it here if anyone was waiting to hear from them!
If you don't mind me asking, what were your credentials, since you got accepted to some big programs! Congrats by the way. I just don't know what more I could do for my apps to make them stronger.

Congrats on being accepted into so many research programs!!
I was just wondering which Scripps program did you get into?
I applied to the Scripps SURF program and got accepted into the SURF program at the California Campus.
it was florida

I'll most likely be staying at Princeton for research this summer so if anybody has questions about campus, getting here, etc. feel free to shoot me a PM!

Accepted into the Baylor SMART program!

Reactions: 4 users
Still waiting for UCB Amgen and Columbia Amgen.

I just got accepted to the Summer Research Program at UT-Houston's Medical School!!!!!:soexcited::clap:

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from Harvard Orthopedic Trauma internship program? In the website it says that they will be contacting the applicants during the week of March 9th; however, I haven't heard back from them :drowning: Should I contact them?

I had applied to the Harvard Summer Research Program in Kidney Medicine. They told me on on March 6 they would "send me a letter next week." I still have not heard anything through either e-mail or snail mail. Has anyone else applied to this program or participated in the past? Also, hi! First time posting after reading this site for years :)

Hi guys! I am currently waitlisted for my school's research program but could be potentially accepted at another school's program. How should I go about explaining to my current PI at my university that I may have to accept another program and not being able to help her during the summer?

Hey all, new member here, I too have been following the discussion for a while...I've applied to:

Mayo SURF (Neurobiology)
Mount Sinai SURP
UMichigan CVC Fellowship
Harvard Orthopedic Trauma Internship.

Still no news. Has anyone heard back from any of these places?

Have you heard back from Harvard Orthopedic Trauma Internship?

Hi guys! I am currently waitlisted for my school's research program but could be potentially accepted at another school's program. How should I go about explaining to my current PI at my university that I may have to accept another program and not being able to help her during the summer?

When you get accepted.

For those still waiting on Mayo, decisions were posted on the website yesterday. If you haven't heard back from any PI from Mayo, take it as you were rejected. Still check the application page thing for formality though.

Accepted into the Baylor SMART program!

Wow. Congrats! I am still waiting to hear back from Baylor SMART and UT Houston Summer Research. I hope I get accepted to either one! I am getting a little nervous. Did they contact you by email or by phone?

edit

Last edited:
When I try to view my "decision," it says there's an error. Is this happening to anyone else? I was probably rejected, but I'm still curious to see what it says...
I tried it in Chrome and Internet Explorer with cookies enabled. Pretty sure the problem isn't technical on my end.