Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I try to view my "decision," it says there's an error. Is this happening to anyone else? I was probably rejected, but I'm still curious to see what it says...
Just keep reloading it. Log in and log back out or try a different browser. I had the same problem initially.

Members don't see this ad.

What program? And see you there, because regardless of program, ALL the program participants live together in a "Research Village"

Congratulations!!!!:woot:

Yay, see you there! I got into the Leadership Alliance GSAS program. I'm a humanities/social sciences person. :)
Stats were 3.9 in major, awesome recs (at least one of them), spent my entire winter break on my personal statement, and I have a lot of ECs as well as some research experience and conference presentations. I'm also a rising junior. I've only received this acceptance and a rejection from Northwestern. I'm accepting Harvard, but still curious to see where else I'm accepted/rejected.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Congrats! I am still waiting to hear back from Baylor SMART and UT Houston Summer Research. I hope I get accepted to either one! I am getting a little nervous. Did they contact you by email or by phone?
Email! I had to turn them down as I'll be at Mayo this summer--crossing my fingers for you!

But the program requires me to express my interest before they hand me my acceptance.
If you know you'll prefer to go outside of your institution, express your interest to the program, get an acceptance letter, then explain to your PI well in advance, like before the end of the month that you got accepted at another program, and you will like to explore your optios and get experience elsewhere. I'm sure any good PI will be understanding. DON'T TELL HER THIS UNTIL YOU GET YOUR ACCEPTANCE LETTER FROM THE OTHER INSTITUTION THOUGH.

*Twiddles thumbs*

*Checks email.*

Waiting on word from two programs. But I'm not at all stressed. If you have back-up plans, the process is far less stressful.

Accepted on Friday at Rockefeller SURF

Has anyone heard from UPenn but did not apply through the Leadership Alliance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected from Michgan State's REU this morning (IBSB program) :( Oh well...

So...UCSF Amgen? Still nothing

I was just wondering myself. I applied for Amgen, the SRTP, and the NSF REU with the one app, and I know some people have posted about acceptances to either the Amgen or SRTP in early March, but I wasn't sure if that meant all acceptances had been sent out for all three programs. Their website says not to call or email about status, so I haven't, but my application still says "Under Review" and I'd just really like a clearer response. But it's still mid-March, so I'm prepared to wait.

I was just wondering myself. I applied for Amgen, the SRTP, and the NSF REU with the one app, and I know some people have posted about acceptances to either the Amgen or SRTP in early March, but I wasn't sure if that meant all acceptances had been sent out for all three programs. Their website says not to call or email about status, so I haven't, but my application still says "Under Review" and I'd just really like a clearer response. But it's still mid-March, so I'm prepared to wait.
In the same boat. I suppose all we can do is wait.

Accepted from the wait list at Princeton Mol. Bio, I'm not gonna do it though. I already accepted MIT. Just outta curiosity, anyone still waiting for Johns Hopkins SIP, or am I the only one?

In the same boat. I suppose all we can do is wait.
I've been accepted in early March and contacted them for some clarifications on some things. They brought up that the final cohort for the summer will most likely not be determined until April. Not sure if that means they'll still send out acceptances or just that thats the final deadline for people to accept offers. Anyways maybe you'll find this information useful.

I've been accepted in early March and contacted them for some clarifications on some things. They brought up that the final cohort for the summer will most likely not be determined until April. Not sure if that means they'll still send out acceptances or just that thats the final deadline for people to accept offers. Anyways maybe you'll find this information useful.
Possibly further useful information, UTokyo Amgen gave me a deadline of until March 18 15:00JST to accept/reject offer.

Just got rejected from University of Georgia's UBER REU :(

I hate waiting. I feel like I'm probably going to get rejected from every program I've applied to......

I hate waiting. I feel like I'm probably going to get rejected from every program I've applied to......

These programs all require some degree of luck IMO. I got accepted to 2 and then rejected from 7 straight.
Keep your head up! It is tough, but it is not the end of the world if it doesn't work out for you.

Keep ya head up; ya only need one

Last edited by a moderator:
Rejected from 3 in a row, definitely a huge bummer :( What are/were some of your backup plans if you were to not get into any of the programs you applied to?

Rejected from 3 in a row, definitely a huge bummer :( What are/were some of your backup plans if you were to not get into any of the programs you applied to?

I'm not sure if this is an actual backup but a cardiologist I shadowed asked me to do clinical research for her during the summer if her grant was approved

Do you know any doctors who need or know colleagues with clinical research positions?

I know the feeling...I've basically gotten rejected (I'm assuming rejection) from 4 more programs today. I called the offices of U Iowa, Brandeis, Minnesota LSSURP, and U Chicago, and basically they've said that they are waiting to hear back from a few applicants after sending a second round of acceptances...oh well...

My backup plan is that I'm applying to a bunch of paid public health internships, and I'll probably commute from home. I hope I get in somewhere. Actually, I hope we all get in somewhere!!

I only applied to one, the SURF at University of Cincinnati, but I haven't heard anything from them yet...

did anyone else just get the e-mail from stanford amgen in regards to updating your interest for the program?

Have you heard back from Harvard Orthopedic Trauma Internship?

Heard back from Harvard's Orthopedic Trauma Research Internship today; I was offered an interview :)
I was wondering if anyone interviewed for the program before (any tips?). Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

I know the feeling...I've basically gotten rejected (I'm assuming rejection) from 4 more programs today. I called the offices of U Iowa, Brandeis, Minnesota LSSURP, and U Chicago, and basically they've said that they are waiting to hear back from a few applicants after sending a second round of acceptances...oh well...

My backup plan is that I'm applying to a bunch of paid public health internships, and I'll probably commute from home. I hope I get in somewhere. Actually, I hope we all get in somewhere!!

Ypu also applied to LSSURP? I called too and they told me that neuroscience was filled hate to break the news but like I said good luck and you only need one

Heard back from Harvard's Orthopedic Trauma Research Internship today; I was offered an interview :)
I was wondering if anyone interviewed for the program before (any tips?). Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

i never had an interview from that program but i interviewed for 75+ research positions within the past 2 years. i received over 40-50 offers from these positions & it ranges from pharmaceutical companies to academia in both hospitals and academic institutions. i can tell you this much, to be selected for as a candidate requires you to know everything about yourself.

1. know what you want and how you plan to get it
2. know why you want to the position & why you should be selected
3. explain to them why their program interests you the most (your answer should be no where near "this institution is prestigious and that's why... "
4. know your resume, study it. interviewers will ask you a lot of questions in regards to past research (the goal of your research & techniques employed)
5. if this is an in person interview, stay away from shiny things & colorful pieces.
6. entertain the interviewer with your stories, your goals & dreams.
7. try googling "interview questions for ______"
8. be sure to smile, no one likes a grumpy person.
9. be yourself!!

Last edited:

I aplied to a program @ UIowa too, dead silence from them. I think I pretty much moved on.

Still have not heard anything from any of the places I applied to. :-/ It's mid-March. I am feeling kind of anxious and not that hopeful.

Ypu also applied to LSSURP? I called too and they told me that neuroscience was filled hate to break the news but like I said good luck and you only need one

Thanks man...we'll see. All of this waiting and rejection makes me extremely self-concious, you know? I feel like there is so much I have to improve upon for next year's round of REU applications.

What were your stats?
I am a 4.0 cum/major at a smaller state university; sophomore for the major, junior credit wise. I am a Pre Med BS Biology major, and I have two minors in psychology and sociology. I work with three research projects in one of the labs at my school, and have been in this lab since freshman year. I really enjoy research! and I bleieve that came across in my personal statements. No science publications, but have been published for other writing and I have written a grant. Work three different jobs at my university: chemistry/biology tutor, biology lab prep worker for patho/micro/molecular/etc., and work as a writing consultant in the writing center. I am a Collegiate athlete, an officer for my sorority, and I'm involved in 4 other academic/honorary clubs regularly. I am very close with the people who wrote me letters: my adviser (for both pre med and academic), my lab director, and my cell/genetics teacher. I applied to JHU pulmonary, brady urological and INBT, and was rejected. I was Accepted at Upenn, and I have yet to hear from Harvard, Yale, UNC Chapel Hill, Minneapolis Heart Institute foundation, and Upitt. This was my first year applying, so I didn't apply to a ton of programs.

Got an email from CIC about binding decision date, but I haven't heard from anywhere. Also got an e-mail that UC Berkeley SROP isn't running this year due to budget cuts.

Hey Guys, so I've been accepted into the Baylor SMART program and the GRU STAR program and I was wondering which one you guys thought might be a better bet. Thanks!

I guess I'll share to give hopes to those without perfect GPAs. I'm a genetics and statistics double major at a top 25 public university. I think having the stat background definitely helps, especially for informatics research because I can code in java, R and SAS. I have a 3.57 GPA and 4.00 Stat major 3.75 Gene major. I've been doing research for the past two years in bioinformatics. I have my own project that I work on independently which unfortunately means little chance of publication. I had really good recs and I think my personal statement was pretty good too.

Accepted: MD Anderson (where I'm going), UPitt techbio
Finalist: CHOP (I think my interview went really well but I haven't heard a final decision yet)
Rejected: Sloan
Still haven't heard: Jax labs, Colorado State, pepperdine, Scripps, Ohio State, Boston University

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Assuming since I haven't heard back from UCSF or Columbia Amgen I have been denied

Has anyone heard from the Undergraduate Clinical Research Internship at Vanderbilt? I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone heard from the Undergraduate Clinical Research Internship at Vanderbilt? I haven't heard anything.

I haven't heard anything yet either, but I emailed them last week and they said that the 1st round of acceptances should go out this week, and then a 2nd the week after that. So hopefully we get news soon!

Assuming since I haven't heard back from UCSF or Columbia Amgen I have been denied
I think most likely for ucsf. Got an email a few days ago saying they're finalizing the cohort and will send us a form to fill out next week for additional information. There were around 30 people on the email list so I'm guessing most spots are full.

I think most likely for ucsf. Got an email a few days ago saying they're finalizing the cohort and will send us a form to fill out next week for additional information. There were around 30 people on the email list so I'm guessing most spots are full.
Ya have to wonder if sending out a mass email to all other applicants notifying us of rejection is so hard? I don't mind the rejection, I mind the needless worry and waiting.