Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll try to write one too, though it'll be pretty pitiful, haha!

Just a "quick" question: I recently got a pretty significant leadership position, though not research-related, recently. I was wondering if I should bother updating the final program I'm waiting on. I was accepted to a non-science volunteer program and I emailed them a few weeks ago asking about the status of my application (they said they would release decisions early March and it was mid/late March), letting them know I had another offer I had to accept soon, and they said they are still in committee. The lady emailed me again yesterday asking if I still wanted to be considered for the program since they are still in committee and I let her know that I had been granted an extension in accepting my other offer. Getting to the point of my question, she said there are a lot of strong applicants, so I want to make sure I can represent myself in the best way possible, but at the same time I don't want to bother them with potentially inconsequential information, so I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it.
Because it is non-science program, I would tell them IF IT RELATES TO THEIR GOALS AND VALUES. I would phrase it like so;
"Good Morning *Whomever*,
Because I hold your program in such high esteem, I am notifying you that I have received *suchandsuch position*. I am excited to participate in *the program* in order to further my personal and professional goals. Due to the large number of highly qualified applicants and the emphasis *Program* puts on leadership and involvement, I wanted to make sure that the committee has a complete picture of my commitment to volunteerism and excellence. I hope this knowledge will allow the application committee to consider all aspects of my application. Volunteering at *program* is my first choice for the summer, so I hope to here back soon about any decisions that are made.
Thank you so much for the help you have provided throughout this process and your cooperation with my questions.
Sincerely,
Beyonce2.0"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because it is non-science program, I would tell them IF IT RELATES TO THEIR GOALS AND VALUES. I would phrase it like so;
"Good Morning *Whomever*,
Because I hold your program in such high esteem, I am notifying you that I have received *suchandsuch position*. I am excited to participate in *the program* in order to further my personal and professional goals. Due to the large number of highly qualified applicants and the emphasis *Program* puts on leadership and involvement, I wanted to make sure that the committee has a complete picture of my commitment to volunteerism and excellence. I hope this knowledge will allow the application committee to consider all aspects of my application. Volunteering at *program* is my first choice for the summer, so I hope to here back soon about any decisions that are made.
Thank you so much for the help you have provided throughout this process and your cooperation with my questions.
Sincerely,
Beyonce2.0"

Thanks for the advice! I think I didn't express myself clearly: the program in question (my first choice) is a science program, the other program I was accepted to is non-science, and the position is non-science but I think I could frame it in such a way that it would definitely relate to the science program's goals and values. Thanks again :)

They sent me an email last morning. On the same day I talked with a professor to take on a year-long research project for protein chemistry, so it's all good. I'm sort of bummed about not doing a top-notch summer internship, but as one door closes another one opens. Or as awetmop said earlier, a misfortune may actually be a blessing in disguise. Best of luck to you, wherever you end up going. :)

Uhm. That's interesting. What does the email say? Did it say that they finished reviewing applicants? I may need to call or email them. Hopefully, they are still reviewing but I already have my summer planned out in case if I don't get in and I got a nice research opportunity at my university for next year. Texas A&M Biology Department does a very good job of connecting students to researchers on campus so I am really looking forward to this! I am glad to hear that you got a research opportunity too. Best of luck in your future!

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me an email last morning. On the same day I talked with a professor to take on a year-long research project for protein chemistry, so it's all good. I'm sort of bummed about not doing a top-notch summer internship, but as one door closes another one opens. Or as awetmop said earlier, a misfortune may actually be a blessing in disguise. Best of luck to you, wherever you end up going. :)
congratulations on your long-term project! Sometimes, what is best isn't what we really really want. Last summer, I really wanted to go to program X because it had a snazzy name and everything. But as a sophomore, I wasn't a strong applicant for those types of programs. I ended up going to an REU in Tennessee doing research that wasn't really what I thought I wanted to do and I loved it. Not that I want to do microbial ecology for the rest of my life, but I wouldn't trade the experience for all the perfect research projects in the world.

I ho
congratulations on your long-term project! Sometimes, what is best isn't what we really really want. Last summer, I really wanted to go to program X because it had a snazzy name and everything. But as a sophomore, I wasn't a strong applicant for those types of programs. I ended up going to an REU in Tennessee doing research that wasn't really what I thought I wanted to do and I loved it. Not that I want to do microbial ecology for the rest of my life, but I wouldn't trade the experience for all the perfect research projects in the world.
I'm glad that experience at the Tennessee REU worked out for you! And thanks for the encouragement; I hope to get the most out of the opportunity I've been given.

For those going to WashU: Am I the only being overwhelmed by this massive list of AWEsome projects? XD Its been like 3 hours and I've only narrowed down to like 14....

Aaaand poof goes my back up plan, up in smoke.
Looks like I'm going to be researching latte foam morphology this summer.....

Reactions: 2 users
Aaaand poof goes my back up plan, up in smoke.
Looks like I'm going to be researching latte foam morphology this summer.....

You made me LOL.:rofl: I love coffee.
What about volunteering at a hospital (or to a cause you are interested in) or in another research lab? Or, taking a summer class... Those were my backup plans.

You made me LOL.:rofl: I love coffee.
What about volunteering at a hospital (or to a cause you are interested in) or in another research lab? Or, taking a summer class... Those were my backup plans.
My backup plan was to work in my home-institution lab, but they've decided to not run any studies over the summer (it's a very new/small lab, longish story). I'm gonna try emailing professors and researching late-deadline volunteer spots but my hopes aren't sky high this late in the game... and my backup-backup is to take classes, yeah :depressed:

Still waiting on Tufts who I hope will prove me embarrassingly wrong.
(Come on Tufts, it would be hilarious!!!!)

Always a waitlist never an acceptance.... its like being always a bridesmaid never a bride. Any ideas of when I should move to plan B and give up on getting off one of the wait lists?

So has anyone even heard of the Dialysis Clinic Inc. Internship?? Seems really awesome but haven't heard a thing from them. Maybe it's all just a cover and they don't even exist! Dun dun dunnnnn.....

http://www.dciinc.org/internships/

Sorry to bug, but has anyone heard from Harvard seas? It seems to be getting very late in the semester and I am curious as to if I should begin backup plans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard from Chicago's PSOMER or Wright State University's STREAMS program?

If any one is interested i got my rejection from u mich physiology SURF

...... I knowe its kinda late.... but when I said a misfortune could be a blessing in disguise... the same could be said about vice versa.... My PI messaged me and asked me read a lot of publications and to amke an abstract before May... I wish I could but with 2 - 3 midterms/essays per week... I don't think it's possible... :scared: :diebanana:

Has anyone gotten a reply from the European Amgen program?

Since we are almost at the end of the summer application/decision game. To help future applicants who might stalk this thread (like I did in the past), I think it will be good to answer these questions?

What programs did you apply to? Which ones did you get in? Better than last year? What are your stats? Is this your last summer in undergrad?

I'll go first

Below are the programs I applied to. I know it's a long list, but I'm an international student in an absolutely no research institution (I learned how to use a pipet at a summer internship, yeah it's that bad, we boil water during bio lab lol). Point is I applied widely cause I feel like I'm very disadvantaged, especially with being international.

Listed in order of when I submitted my application
1) princeton 01/15 - waitlist - accepted
2) wustl biomed rap - ACCEPTED! :) (first acceptance, I was too excited)
3) daad - reject
4) nyu - reject!
5) JHU - waitlisted (never heard back, didn't contact either since I already accepted an offer)
6) Mayo Clinic - reject
7) Gesrstner sloan kettering - REJECT (first reject lol)
8) MIT MSRP - Accepted - MIT bound!!!!!!!!!!
9) upittsburg SURF - rejected (yesterday)
10) UTsouthwestern - waitlisted (asked to be taken off)
11) UPENN Undergrad student scholar - reject (regret spending 20 bucks to express the application)
12) UMadison SROP - rejected off the bat (ignored US citizen requirement)
13) Arkansas INBRE 02/23 - Accepted

This application cycle was so much better for me than last year. I literally had panic attacks while I was writing my personal statement this year because I thought I won't get in any where considering that last year I applied to FIFTEEN and got into ONE! at my home state (hardly any competition). My advisor ended up hooking me up with a program, which I ended up going to. I worked in the Marine Biological Lab in Woods Hole, MA and trust me that was the best summer everrrr!!!! Everything outside of lab work was spectacular. I had fun lol.
This year I wanted to focus more on doing substantial research work (all work, little play), shooting for a publication. So I'm very grateful I got to choose and reject great programs.

Now to my stats.
Like I said earlier, I'm international student, I'm a junior at a super tiny (less than 700 enroll) HBCU, double majoring in biology and chemistry. Cum 4.0 GPA. I did research last summer but it was environmental science (nothing to do with what I was applying to this year). I did go to an embryo/cancer lab during my free time though. I found a mentor there who ended up being one of my letter writers.
I started volunteering in a lab at the major state medical school in January. I'm doing biochem research on lung cancer stuff (fun things).
I believe I had GREAT recommendation letters. I read one I got from my program coordinator last year and I had tears in my eyes. It was beautiful.

What I did differently?
For my personal statement, I took a totally different approach, to be honest I think my PS sucked last year which is why I did't get in anywhere. My advisor thinks its liability issues (I was 17 last summer).
Also, I used got recommendation letters from diff. people this time, so I had a pool of about 6 letter writers and just varied the depending on program requirement. Last year I stuck to two people. I don't think it mattered though, cause set of different people wrote for all the ones I got in.

Sorry this is long, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible. And yes this is my last summer as an undergrad :(

BTW for anyone trying to register for MAY 2015 MCAT, AAMC just opened a bunch of seats in almost every state.
This is a really, really good idea. Maybe it'll help future applicants see that it is super competitive and super random (on our part). Programs are looking for specific types of people, so you have to find 1 that you absolutely know fits you, or take the time to apply to more than 5.

PROGRAMS:
1) Harvard Amgen Program (accepted March 5, 2015)
2) University of Oregon SPUR (accepted March 6, 2015)
3) University of Pittsburgh SURP (accepted March 19, 2015)
4) NYUsoM SURP (waitlisted February 25, accepted March 11, 2015)
5) Cold Spring Harbor (rejected March 2, 2015)
6) Jackson Laboratories SSP (rejected March 31, 2015)
7) Yale University Sackler/NSF REU program "Convergent Research at the Interface of the Biological, Physical, and Engineering Sciences" (rejected March 26, 2015)
8) University of Tennessee NSF REU in Microbiology (rejected March 30, 2015) *NOTE: I did this one last year and emailed my PI to tell him I accepted Harvard. so that's why this was a reject, not a reflection on my qualifications for this particular program*
9)Stanford University SSRP/Amgen Program (rejected March 11, 2015)
10)Columbia University Amgen Program (rejected March 11, 2015)
11) University of California - San Francisco Amgen (rejected April 23, 2015)
12) University of California - Berkeley Amgen (Alternate, rejected March 30, 2015)
13) Colorado State University Molecular Biosciences REU (rejected April 20, 2015)
14) Brandeis University Cell and Molecular Visualization REU (no notification)
15) University of Wisconsin - Madison Integrated Biological Sciences Research Program (IBS-RP) (no notification)
16) University of Kansas Molecular Biosciences REU (program was cancelled)
17) Albert Einstein School of Medicine Biomedical Sciences SURP (no notification)
18) Ohio State University Molecular Genetics REU (no notification)

About me:
I am a junior in biochemistry with genetics and microbiology minors. My goal is a PhD in molecular cell biology. I currently work in a Drosophila genetics/cell biology laboratory studying the effect of heterochromatic spreading on obesity. Last summer, I studied the diversity of facultative anaerobic bacteria in the mouse gut microbiota in relation to malaria susceptibility.

Stats:
Cumulative GPA = 3.73
Science(/Major) GPA = 3.93
Large Midwestern university known for its science and engineering
Letter writers were my current PI and the one from last summer
I have taken extremely advanced coursework in biochemistry/genetics/microbiology, including 6 graduate courses to date (virology, biochemistry I (proteins/metabolism), biochemistry II (membranes, nucleic acids), molecular signaling, immunology, molecular genetics). I also have a heavy background in chemistry, physics, and math (took quantum mechanics, chemical thermodynamics, Classical (NOT trig-based) physics I and II, and up to differential equations)
I've done 3 poster presentations.
1 publication that seems to be perpetually under review.

Personal statement
I chose to include sections in my "interests and career goals" that related to papers I read. I used them as examples of research that interested me, but I made sure it sounded like I actually read the paper. A lot of sophomores/juniors have little experience reading papers, but because of the graduate coursework, I have papers coming out my ears. I think this signaled to programs that were looking for students who are research-oriented that I was one of those people. I am a girl, but NOT an URM or financially impaired. I don't have any sad stories or magical childhood moments, so I decided to stay away from that trite method of writing. I decided they probably care more about my commitment to research and ability to plow through failure, so I also let them know that my current work is independent, as if I am a graduate rotations student. I am responsible for designing experiments and also fixing them when they inevitably fail. And when they asked why I wanted to go to their program, I focused on research. Not everyone can pull this off if you aren't that scientifically literate or are on a tight schedule, but suffice to say I'll be doing it again come September for graduate school.

I know I applied to a lot, but it's free and all these programs are looking for someone different. Its seems so random to us, but I really do think they are looking for specific traits. For instance, Program X may be looking for women with a passion for chemical applications to medicine while Program Y is looking for diverse students who have experience in bioinformatics. And think about it this way, if a program is looking for 5 student who are ____ and 5 student who are ____, the vast majority of the 1000 applications will be cut. I just really hope graduate school is easier to get into!

Last edited:
Do students usually get accepted by programs after their freshman year? I applied to 5 (very last minute) and I don't think I was accepted to any.

Do students usually get accepted by programs after their freshman year? I applied to 5 (very last minute) and I don't think I was accepted to any.
Unless you are an extraordinary applicant, usually not. And I mean taking advanced coursework (for a freshman), 3.5+ (AT LEAST) GPA, with actual research experience (not just lab assistant). Honestly, these programs are structured such that while you do have mentors and such, after a couple weeks, you are expected to be largely independent. A freshman generally does not have the technical skill, experience, or ability to do that. Not saying there aren't SOME, but there are certainly not many. And seeing as how your applications were "last minute," they probably wouldn't be able to hold up to what the sophomores and juniors would be writing. (don't be offended!) I spent winter break writing mine and I have 2 years on you in both experience, knowledge, and exposure to science/scientific research. Therefore the committees might lean towards the older students. Next year, start early and hopefully you'll get one.

Might as well post my stats too since I've found this thread helpful. Just a quick preface, I'm not pre-med but am interested in computational cognitive research so I applied to these bio research programs.

Programs applied (result):
NIH Amgen (rejected)
Stanford Amgen (rejected)
MIT Amgen (rejected)
Berkeley Amgen (rejected)
UW CSNE REU (rejected)
UCSF Amgen (accepted.....was actually my first/last acceptance)

Stats:
University (current): Top 10 engineering, research
University (past-transferred): large state school, research
Major: Electrical and Computer Engineering
GPA: 4.0
Research: Worked in numerous labs but did not stick with one for longer than a year. No publications. Most recent experience in behavioral neuroscience labs. One last summer and one started this fall (current lab). Recs from these two profs, should be pretty decent.
Notes: My SOP was pretty bad...didn't talk about research interests enough.

Hopefully this is somewhat helpful to someone.

Accepted at KyotoU Amgen Scholars! (Rejected from Tokyo Amgen and OIST - only applied to 3). Wasn't sure how it was going to go but I am thrilled!

Oh my god, I actually did a little happy dance for you. Congratulations! I guess we'll see each other at the Symposium :D

hey how did you guys find out? Did they only email selected applicants?
I'm still waiting for any news from them, though not expecting much :/

Has anyone gotten a reply from the European Amgen program?
Haven't heard anything from Pasteur and KI :/ which one did you apply to?

Last edited:

Only applied to Pasteur since they were the only ones that offered topics that I am interested/experienced in.
I realize that people might think that I should have applied to more, but id rather spend my summer doing something else than doing research on a topic I have no interest in.
I've been spamming that refresh inbox button on gmail and the suspense is driving me crazy. It's all I've been doing since the start of April. Yesterday i got a mail from some dude that probably got the wrong email from someone and I almost got a heart attack when I saw that (1). Its driving me mad! I need results!

I got a rejection email from UTokyo. KyotoU emailed me to tell me I was accepted - I would imagine they will send a rejection email too but maybe they haven't gotten around to it yet or not all participants are confirmed.

Got an offer from UCSF SRTP yesterday. I assume I was on the "waitlist" since I got I found out so late. Sort of bummed that I have to turn it down because I already accepted a position at the NHLBI/NIH (with promises of a post-bac job too). Someone tell me I'm not crazy for giving up California with guaranteed housing for DC and the NIH...

Only applied to Pasteur since they were the only ones that offered topics that I am interested/experienced in.
I realize that people might think that I should have applied to more, but id rather spend my summer doing something else than doing research on a topic I have no interest in.
I've been spamming that refresh inbox button on gmail and the suspense is driving me crazy. It's all I've been doing since the start of April. Yesterday i got a mail from some dude that probably got the wrong email from someone and I almost got a heart attack when I saw that (1). Its driving me mad! I need results!
Ah fair enough, I applied to Pasteur too and still hasn't heard back anything either. Bon courage!

I got a rejection email from UTokyo. KyotoU emailed me to tell me I was accepted - I would imagine they will send a rejection email too but maybe they haven't gotten around to it yet or not all participants are confirmed.
I hope they do so soon, sent them an email yesterday but haven't got any reply. I just need some closure haha. Congratulations though, Japan would be so nice in the summer!

So the KU program is not hosting a program after all. Is there anywhere else that is still accepting applications?

Has anyone here that's been accepted by a program NOT heard from them yet about who you will be working under? I did my registration and pref'd my labs but there hasn't really been any other correspondence.

Has anyone here that's been accepted by a program NOT heard from them yet about who you will be working under? I did my registration and pref'd my labs but there hasn't really been any other correspondence.
Last year I didn't know until probably middle/end of April. But you're doing Stanford Amgen, and Harvard Amgen already had faculty skype interviews. They're probably being slow. Sometimes faculty are halfway across the world or something like that. They'll let you know soon! :)

I haven't received updates from any of the 3 sites I applied to through the Leadership Alliance. I find this kind of irritating because the program website states that the overseeing committee will reevaluate our applications and send them to other sites if all three turn us down... but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen. Remaining spots will be filled up the longer they wait to update our portals...

This thread helped keep me sane during the decisions process so I guess I'll pay it forward for next year lol.

Programs applied:
MIT Amgen (rejected)
WashU Amgen (rejected)
UCSF SRTP (still haven't heard back.. lol)
NiH SIP (accepted to NIA)

Stats:
Class: Sophomore
University: Huge flagship stateschool
GPA: 3.964
Major: Biochemistry with a Math Minor
Research experience: About eleven months of experience on a project focusing on macrophage surface receptors and spinal cord injury recovery. 1 publication.
Other experience: Taught graduate level cancer biology at a gifted high school summer program.
Career goals: No idea. Maybe MD maybe MD/PhD maybe PhD.... hell I might just drop out and play the stocks.
LOR: One from a chem professor (very strong), one from my PI (pretty good)

Personal Statement:

Focused on my passion for researching cell signaling cascades in the context of cancer and wound healing. I didn't really focus too much on my research project, more so on specific projects I wanted to pursue after finishing grad/med school. The main focus, in my opinion, is to show the committee that you've spent some time delving into the literature and thinking of potential solutions to current problems. They could be completely crazy ideas, but showing creativity and a willingness to connect ideas across fields is a huge plus (to me at least.. then again I only got into one program.).

Anyway...
I'll be spending the summer at the National Institute of Aging doing a project on cell signaling. In retrospect I wish I had applied to more programs as I wasn't expecting to be even somewhat competitive (waitlisted at WashU/UCSF.. then cut from WashU), but I'm happy where I ended up. I hope this was useful, and message me with any and all questions y'all might have!

Is anyone else going to be interning at Weill Cornell this summer? I'm really excited about working with the geriatric population in Manhattan! :soexcited:

I got a rejection email earlier today from Pasteur. I guess no summer research for me.
But what really annoyed me was the email itself. It was full of spelling errors and concatenated words. Even though I knew they were going to send me the usual "we had a lot of strong applicants this year" which is meant to make you feel better, I actually felt worse because they didn't even care enough to proofread the god damn automated email that will be sent to 400+ people. I know I am actually angry because I got rejected, but this didn't help.

Anyone here got into Pasteur? It would be helpful to know the stats of those who did get in... I actually wanted to apply but I didn't have any research exp, however, that will change after this summer. So I thought about maybe applying for next summer (getting ahead of myself). Anyway, it just looks like it's very competitive, and I don't know if it might be worth applying.

But what really annoyed me was the email itself. It was full of spelling errors and concatenated words.

^ that seems very unprofessional from their part.

This is a sort of late reply, UTokyo emailed me the acceptance on March 9 and KyotoU emailed me the rejection email literally 2 days ago on April 10. KyotoU said they received over 500 applications, not sure how many applied for UTokyo.

I forgot to mention this but I got my rejection for UTHSC-San Antonio's PURE last monday....

Was told from a PI at NIH-SIP that I should hear soon with an acceptance but I still haven't received anything and have not been in contact with him in 2weeks..Should I be worried?

Was told from a PI at NIH-SIP that I should hear soon with an acceptance but I still haven't received anything and have not been in contact with him in 2weeks..Should I be worried?
Check your spam folder. I just found a UCB notification in my spam (letting me know I was an alternate, not accepted) LOL. If he's really left you hanging, call or email him. 2 weeks is long enough to have passed the "soon" barrier. I don't think they kicked you out or anything, but this time of year is busy. Good luck!

It is April 15, and I am starting to get really nervous, I stupidly only applied to one REU program a huge mistake on my part.
Has anyone heard back from Tufts yet? and should I email them asking if they had a chance to look at my application?

Has anyone heard back from NYU Motivated Perception REU?

We're supposed to hear back today aren't we? It's almost 6pm there now. Guess they're wrong.

Leadership alliance sites finally updated my statuses. Denied at all three... the perils of being a truly interdisciplinary researcher. Sigh

Is anyone perchance going to be at Ohio State this summer? I'm trying to sublease my apartment since i'll be in Maryland lol

Has anybody heard back from the REU in complex psychology systems for the University of Cincinnati? They said we would hear back by April 15th and I haven't gotten any e-mails.....unless they're e-mailing the people they accepted on the 15th. In which case, I'm screwed :/

Has anybody heard back from the REU in complex psychology systems for the University of Cincinnati? They said we would hear back by April 15th and I haven't gotten any e-mails.....unless they're e-mailing the people they accepted on the 15th. In which case, I'm screwed :/
I haven't heard back either; I doubt they're just e-mailing people who got accepted, they're probably just behind then.

Has anyone heard from the NYU CNS summer research program?