Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I can offer some insight on SPHSP. My friend did it in 2013. She had no research or any summer internship experiences. She did have a stellar GPA, good/excellent LORs and I believe her writing was on point too. The min. GPA is 2.7, so I think that's preeeetty forgiving. I don't think it's THAT competitive. (I'm only basing my opinion on what she's told me). There were NO FRESHMAN OR SOPHOMORES during her program!! They seem to prefer juniors and seniors and recent graduates.

Thanks. Do you have any idea when she found it? Also, was she an URM? I fall into the ORM category so I was wondering if that would detrimentally affect me.

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting to hear from pretty much everyone.... Anyone know about these programs?

Waiting On:
*Columbia Amgen
*Leadership Alliance
*Columbia
*Hunter
*NYU
*Rockefeller
*Rutgers
*UPenn SUIP

Hey, I'm also waiting to hear back from NYU and Columbia SPHSP. In fact, have yet to hear from all of my programs. Yay :(

Thanks. Do you have any idea when she found it? Also, was she an URM? I fall into the ORM category so I was wondering if that would detrimentally affect me.

She was accepted by mid march and is an URM. Most of the participants were URM but there were a few ORM too. I don't think being an ORM would really affect you in a negative way, for this particular program.

Edit: I was confused, sorry. She was INTERVIEWED in March. I think she got accepted either in the last week of March or beginning of April.

Members don't see this ad :)
She was accepted by mid march and is an URM. Most of the participants were URM but there were a few ORM too. I don't think being an ORM would really affect you in a negative way, for this particular program.

Edit: I was confused, sorry. She was INTERVIEWED in March. I think she got accepted either in the last week of March or beginning of April.

Thank you so much for finding out. It's my favorite program, so I've been holding out hope as well as hoping and not hoping to find out about other programs quickly, so that I have the time to accept it. Fingers crossed.

Still waiting to hear from pretty much everyone.... Anyone know about these programs?

Waiting On:
*Columbia Amgen
*Leadership Alliance
*Columbia
*Hunter
*NYU
*Rockefeller
*Rutgers
*UPenn SUIP

I also applied to the AMGEN at Columbia, their website says they will get acceptances out at the end of March.

And, I forget who was asking about UC Berkeley, but their website says they will start sending out decisions on Feb 27 and will continue throughout March

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted into an REU last year at a state school, and I'm hoping for another acceptance this year.

I have applied to:
WashU Agmen
UC,Berkely Agmen
Scripps
Colorado State
UW-Madison
Emory
Pastuer Institute

I saw Uc,Berkeley is starting to send decisions the 27th, but has anyone heard back from any of the other schools? Also, has anyone else applied to the Pastuer Institute? I'm from a small liberal arts school so I'm doubting acceptance, but I still have my fingers crossed!

WashU *says* they will have decisions out by March 1st on their site, but last year they didn't go out till the 13th. I dunno about the rest

I was accepted into an REU last year at a state school, and I'm hoping for another acceptance this year.

I have applied to:
WashU Agmen
UC,Berkely Agmen
Scripps
Colorado State
UW-Madison
Emory
Pastuer Institute

I saw Uc,Berkeley is starting to send decisions the 27th, but has anyone heard back from any of the other schools? Also, has anyone else applied to the Pastuer Institute? I'm from a small liberal arts school so I'm doubting acceptance, but I still have my fingers crossed!

I applied to Colorado State REU (bio) too, still haven't heard back and have no idea when decisions go out

Did anyone apply to/hear anything from Vanderbilt UCRIP or Vanderbilt VINSE REU??

Would creating a public Google Sheet violate any policies of the forum? If not, I'd be happy to host one so that we can have an updated list of all programs people on here have applied to (e.g. program name, username, and brief stats).

I know this is super late in the process but does anyone know about some programs that are still open? I applied to a couple but I'm starting to feel that my chances to them are dwindling and will hear a rejection from all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stiiiiill waiting on UC Berkeley. The REU decisions were supposed to be sent out by February 21st, but in fairness the site does say "we hope" to send notifications out by then, not "we will".
Also in fairness, I wouldn't be at all surprised if decisions *had* been sent out to the actual recipients already (that is to say, I'm not banking on getting into this one). Has anyone heard back, yet?

I know this is super late in the process but does anyone know about some programs that are still open? I applied to a couple but I'm starting to feel that my chances to them are dwindling and will hear a rejection from all.

UC Berkeley's STEER program applications are due February 27 or 28, I think. UC Irvine's REU apps and UC Davis's Hugh Edmondson Internship apps are both due March 1st. However, if I remember right, at least one of those applications is snail-mailed (or at least, I snail mailed it, not sure if it's required), so you're on a time crunch. Good luck if applying!

One of my friends was accepted into Scripps today, UW-Madison emailed me and informed me that my application was submitted and that it will take about two weeks for applicants to be paired with PI's. I'm not sure if that was an acceptance or just informing me that all decisions should be made in the next two weeks.

If anyone has heard anything from University of Iowa Microbiol. REU please let me know... :shrug:

I applied to:

Harvard SHRUP
UCB Amgen
Stanford Amgen
UCSF Amgen
UPENN SUIP
NYU Slacker
MIT Amgen
YALE Sackler
Rockefeller
Leadership Alliance

Has anyone else heard from these institutions (besides UPenn)?

One of my friends was accepted into Scripps today, UW-Madison emailed me and informed me that my application was submitted and that it will take about two weeks for applicants to be paired with PI's. I'm not sure if that was an acceptance or just informing me that all decisions should be made in the next two weeks.
Wow that's pretty quick for Scripps, seeing how the deadline was just last week

If anyone has heard anything from University of Iowa Microbiol. REU please let me know... :shrug:

I was emailed back by the University of Iowa today and they stated that they were sending out their first acceptance letters this week. They also did state that they had over 400 applicants for 8 slots this year, and that if you don't get something back this week then it'll be another 10 days while they hear back from their first set.

I was emailed back by the University of Iowa today and they stated that they were sending out their first acceptance letters this week. They also did state that they had over 400 applicants for 8 slots this year, and that if you don't get something back this week then it'll be another 10 days while they hear back from their first set.

Wow, those stats are very slim.... Good luck to those who applied.

Thank you SO much! Definitely lowering my expectations a bit

To everyone who applied to Colorado State, I spoke with them today and first acceptances have already been sent out. So if you haven't heard from them... :(

Also I got an email back today from UW-Madison and they said 3-4 weeks before spots are filled and that they also stated they have received over 1000 applications this year.

Has anyone heard from/applied to the NIH Amgen Scholars program? They said they would send out acceptances at the end of February.

I applied to UCRIP and haven't heard anything back yet. :(

Hm, well from reading the threads from previous years it looks like answers for UCRIP come out beginning of March, so I don't think we should worry too much yet...? I'll cross my fingers for the both of us! :)

Has anyone heard from/applied to the NIH Amgen Scholars program? They said they would send out acceptances at the end of February.
I haven't heard back from them, but if they say end of Feb., I'd only start panicking in the first or second week of March. Plus Amgen programs in general send out decisions later than other programs.

[..]
UCB Amgen
[..]

Negative on UCB. From my understanding, Amgen notifications historically go out mid March.

First time posting here!
I'm a 2nd Year
I have a year of on campus research experience
I applied to:

UC Berkeley Amgen
Stanford Amgen
UCLA Amgen
UTokyo Amgen
Colorado State University REU
UCSB CISEI
IST Austria
NASA OSSI

Accepted to: CSU REU, I grew up in FoCo, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to research here

Also, does anybody know of anymore programs that haven't had their deadlines yet?

Thanks, goodluck ya'll

Just FYI, I'm a rising 2nd year med student here with extensive clinical and basic research history (+pubs, oral presentations, & posters) and many leadership roles in med school. I applied as an HHMI Summer Fellow this year @ a top 10. I hear back about whether or not my grant proposal is accepted by 3/20 and would be more than happy to answer questions and help those of you interested while I wait. Feel free to PM me. (My mobile app tends not to send push notifications unless it's a PM for some reason.) But please be patient. Our last M1 exam is the first week of March. Most answers will thus likely come soon thereafter :)

Good luck and congrats. Just applying or think about it, you're each on a prestigious path and very much ahead of the game. Cheers.

P.S. OP, if you feel this hijacks, please let me know. I'll have the mods shift this to an "Ask Guero about research" thread. Just thought all here might apreesh.

First time posting here!
I'm a 2nd Year
I have a year of on campus research experience
I applied to:

UC Berkeley Amgen
Stanford Amgen
UCLA Amgen
UTokyo Amgen
Colorado State University REU
UCSB CISEI
IST Austria
NASA OSSI

Accepted to: CSU REU, I grew up in FoCo, so I'm glad to have the opportunity to research here

Also, does anybody know of anymore programs that haven't had their deadlines yet?

Thanks, goodluck ya'll

Congrats on your CSU acceptance. I applied and I am pretty sure I got rejected since I have not received an email. In your acceptance email, did they state how many applicants applied this year/how many spots they have?

UT Southwestern SURF sent out decision! :) too bad I already committed to NIH

I was accepted to MD Anderson's CPRIT/CURE program last week. They gave me an extension until March 7th to reply but I'm probably going to accept it. I have a random question for those that have done a research experience before. What do you wear? Do I need business clothes?

I was accepted to MD Anderson's CPRIT/CURE program last week. They gave me an extension until March 7th to reply but I'm probably going to accept it. I have a random question for those that have done a research experience before. What do you wear? Do I need business clothes?
Most likely not. I was at Hopkins last year and just wore normal clothes...no one cares what u wear in lab for the most part

Also, does anyone know when the Cinci Children's decisions come out generally?

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda fretting. But I have 0 acceptances and 0 denials. It's not even March. Just wait it out? Never applied to these things.

I applied to:

Harvard SHRUP
UCB Amgen
Stanford Amgen
UCSF Amgen
UPENN SUIP
NYU Slacker
MIT Amgen
YALE Sackler
Rockefeller
Leadership Alliance

UCB's Amgen site says they will start sending out notifications on the 27 and continue throughout March. Stanford should have theirs out in the first week of March. I emailed UCSF to ask when we will hear back as there isn't a date posted on their site and they said the first offers will begin going out on the 2nd. They also informed me that they had roughly 1000 applications for 30 spots. I dunno about the rest.

Last edited:
For those still looking, University of Kansas's REU app deadline is the 1st, and San Jose State's REU app isn't due till the 6th I think, but you have to snail mail it so watch out