Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh gosh, I'm so nervous. I'm waiting on Harvard Leadership Alliance. I really hope they're still sending out acceptances.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh gosh, I'm so nervous. I'm waiting on Harvard Leadership Alliance. I really hope they're still sending out acceptances.
He got an email late last evening, like say 6:30 pm CST, so I believe chances are high that they are still in the process of sending out acceptance notifications.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Just received rejection from Sloan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected here too (Sloan)! Most likely heading to Broad Institute which was one of my top choices besides Mass General SRTP (they called me within minutes of each other), but the SRTP is only 8 weeks and I want to spend as much time away from home lol

Also rejected from Sloan. Was probably going MD Anderson before, am definitely going there now

Accepted to DAAD Rise. Off to Germany this summer!

Just got rejected from NYU.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got rejected from NYU Sackler SURP. Oh well... :/
For those that applied to the MIT biology program, a friend got an acceptance yesterday.
Anyone applied to MIT MSRP?

Just got rejected from NYU Sackler SURP. Oh well... :/
For those that applied to the MIT biology program, a friend got an acceptance yesterday.
Anyone applied to MIT MSRP?
How did you find out about NYU Sackler? I'm pretty sure they never asked for my email on their application....

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from NYU Leadership Alliance yet, or just SURP?

I have bad and good news:
Bad: Just got rejected from Princeton yesterday. :( But I'm pretty surprised my application made it all the way to the PI's desk though!
Good: Received an e-mail from WashU MSTP that I've been selected as a finalist, and they will begin announcing acceptances starting March 2nd.

Hi everyone! I'm a sophomore who's new to SD. I usually observe posts from afar but (like most of us here) I'm a bit anxious to heat back from the places I've applied to. I got rejected from all my schools (Columbia, Brown, NYU) on Leadership Alliance, and today I was rejected by an REU at the Danforth Center in St. Louis, MO.
Aside from those schools, here are other places I'm waiting on:

Colorado State University REU
Richer Gilder Graduate School at the American Museum of Natural History REU
Brandeis University REU
John Hopkins University REU
Ohio State University REU
Louisiana State University REU
San Jose State University REU
University of Chicago REU
UC San Fran REU
University of Georgia UBER
University of Georgia FGCB
University of Minnesota LSSURP
University of Michigan REU
U Mass - Boston REU
University of Iowa REU
UNC - Chapel Hill REU
U Nebraska - Lincoln REU
Bigelow Lab REU
U North Dakota REU

I realllllllly hope everyone gets in somewhere this summer! A lot of time was put into doing research on these programs and applying. Has anyone heard anything from these places? Good luck everyone! I wish you all the best, sending lots of luck, love, and positive energy!

Last edited:
At this rate, I don't think I'll get into anything :( Oh well, I guess I'm be researching without pay anyway!

How did you find out about NYU Sackler? I'm pretty sure they never asked for my email on their application....[/QUO
How did you find out about NYU Sackler? I'm pretty sure they never asked for my email on their application....
Yeah they emailed me with one of those generic "Dear applicants, we regret to inform you...blah blah blah..." email. We had to log in with our email to complete the application. I'm pretty sure that's where they got my email from.

Yeah they emailed me with one of those generic "Dear applicants, we regret to inform you...blah blah blah..." email. We had to log in with our email to complete the application. I'm pretty sure that's where they got my email from

I have bad and good news:
Bad: Just got rejected from Princeton yesterday. :( But I'm pretty surprised my application made it all the way to the PI's desk though!
Good: Received an e-mail from WashU MSTP that I've been selected as a finalist, and they will begin announcing acceptances starting March 2nd.

What Princeton program did you apply to?

I applied to UPenn through Leadership Alliance. I looked at the site today and saw closed without offer.

I see. Thanks for sharing!

I was rejected at Sloan and NYU, so it looks like I'll probably be staying and doing research at Princeton. Still waiting on two NYC programs that respond in early-mid March, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

I'm anxiously waiting on Johns Hopkins SIP. Anyone care to share their status with this program? Even if it's a humblebrag that you got in? I would love to hear where people are with the process.

Any news on acceptances/rejections from Columbia or Harvard Leadership Alliance?

Any news on acceptances/rejections from Columbia or Harvard Leadership Alliance?
Ditto this. I applied to Columbia, but through GSAS. I haven't heard anything, yet but LA says March 1. Maybe I'll give a call Monday? Then again, I'm in the humanities. I'm also *very* anxiously waiting for Harvard, but I think someone else said SHURP already sent out acceptances.

How do people find out about acceptances/rejections for Leadership Alliance? Is it on a rolling basis even though all our applications were submitted at the same time? I ask because people have been notified by Columbia through LA which I also applied to and I'm just getting terribly anxious!

Hey guys! I need a little help here. I got accepted to a program for summer research and there is a matching process on where I get to go.
Here are some of my choices:
Harvard Medical School--Neurogenetics of the retina
UCSF Medical School--Cancer research
John Hopkins Medical School--HIV research
University of Washington in St. Louis Medical School--innate immunity on NK cells

In terms of my interests, I really don't care because all of these programs sound great, but I am a neuroscience major (I don't think this really helps).
Any suggestions where I should go? All reasons considered! They all sound top notch and it's kind of hard to know which one I need to pick!

Well, it depends on what research you are interested in. Neurogenetics of the retina probably won't have too much to do with medicine while the other research topics are very relevant. Although, it would be hard to tie cancer research/HIV into your research interests. Maybe if it was work on brain cancers or something. Innate immunity is an interesting topic that may show some potential - especially because the brain has been thought to be immune-privileged for so long. Fairly recent research has made much progress into potential autoimmune attacks on the brain, etc.

Ditto this. I applied to Columbia, but through GSAS. I haven't heard anything, yet but LA says March 1. Maybe I'll give a call Monday? Then again, I'm in the humanities. I'm also *very* anxiously waiting for Harvard, but I think someone else said SHURP already sent out acceptances.

You still have until the first, don't worry. The other girl in this thread said her boyfriend got accepted, but I'm sure they don't send out acceptances in one lump whole. Wait it out tomorrow. LA site says not to contact them about acceptances. Good luck.

Hey guys! I need a little help here. I got accepted to a program for summer research and there is a matching process on where I get to go.
Here are some of my choices:
Harvard Medical School--Neurogenetics of the retina
UCSF Medical School--Cancer research
John Hopkins Medical School--HIV research
University of Washington in St. Louis Medical School--innate immunity on NK cells

In terms of my interests, I really don't care because all of these programs sound great, but I am a neuroscience major (I don't think this really helps).
Any suggestions where I should go? All reasons considered! They all sound top notch and it's kind of hard to know which one I need to pick!

Definitely neurogenetics at HMS. More relevant to your field, helps stack other future opportunities in neuro. Makes you look solid in terms of neuro research.

Is no contact so far good in your opinions? Like, we haven't been hit with the, "this is bad, just deny them now" and maybe they're considering us?

Or just toying with our emotions until the last possible moment.

You still have until the first, don't worry. The other girl in this thread said her boyfriend got accepted, but I'm sure they don't send out acceptances in one lump whole. Wait it out tomorrow. LA site says not to contact them about acceptances. Good luck.
Yeah, I wonder if it might even be longer? A date is only specified for SHURP, not GSAS, which is where I applied. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Yeah, I wonder if it might even be longer? A date is only specified for SHURP, not GSAS, which is where I applied. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Yeah, that makes all the difference in the world. Different programs, different internal schedules, deadlines, etc.

The only thing that worries me about March 1st deadlines is that tomorrow and Sunday are the 28th and the 1st, respectively. I don't know who'll be working at those institutions to send those e-mails....you think directors do it from home?

The only thing that worries me about March 1st deadlines is that tomorrow and Sunday are the 28th and the 1st, respectively. I don't know who'll be working at those institutions to send those e-mails....you think directors do it from home?
What everyone wants to know but was afraid to ask. ;) I'd say it's appropriate to call after or late Monday if you were supposed to hear.