Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
same (columbia amgen) I think at this point it would be a silent rejection. dont you have to go through a bunch of prelim steps for PI's and stuff to even be considered? At this point I think it's too late to start to go through all of that.

This is true lol. I'm guessing they sent out most of their acceptance emails in early March +pity+

Members don't see this ad.

same (columbia amgen) I think at this point it would be a silent rejection. dont you have to go through a bunch of prelim steps for PI's and stuff to even be considered? At this point I think it's too late to start to go through all of that.

If it makes a difference, at the NIH Amgen program, all we've done is send them our personal info. No mentor selection has happened, nor will it for awhile.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to this one! I got an email today saying they're still waiting on funding so we'll hear back next friday. Did you get the same email?

Yes, I got it almost immediately after I made that post lol :)

Official UPenn SR-EIP rejection. Came through the portal. I would've at least liked an email, especially since I called and left a voicemail at the office and no one ever got back to me. -_-

Today is the deadline for amgen in europe first offers - anyone heared back ?

Rejected by Rockefeller. I am going to attend Baylor college of medicine for sure. Any others planning to go to Baylor this summer?

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else still waiting on UCSF SRTP and/or Columbia Amgen?
Yes to UCSF... Just emailed them. Presumably they have already pretty much finalized their cohort, and I'm guessing we would have been notified if we were on the waitlist. Still, it would be nice to know.

Official UPenn SR-EIP rejection. Came through the portal. I would've at least liked an email, especially since I called and left a voicemail at the office and no one ever got back to me. -_-
Still waiting for the rejection. I already know it's a rejection, but I just wish they would tell me so that I can stop thinking "Well, just maybe..."

Does anyone know if SR-EIP sites do "silent" rejections by just not updating the portal? UChicago and Vanderbilt haven't updated it but I feel like they must've already sent out offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if SR-EIP sites do "silent" rejections by just not updating the portal? UChicago and Vanderbilt haven't updated it but I feel like they must've already sent out offers.
i havent heard from UChicago SR-EIP, and last i knew, they hadnt made selections. I've already chosen a SR-EIP institute so i dont know if that affects whether theyd even bother to update my portal for the the two other schools I hadnt heard from

i havent heard from UChicago SR-EIP, and last i knew, they hadnt made selections. I've already chosen a SR-EIP institute so i dont know if that affects whether theyd even bother to update my portal for the the two other schools I hadnt heard from

Yes, SR-EIP sites do silent rejections sometimes, it just depends on the school. I still haven't heard back from UChicago, and it's been over a year!

Reactions: 3 users
Rockefeller rejection
Purdue rejection but then they said that was a mistake

On the waiting list at Rutgers reu, curious what the confirmation deadline for accepted

Did anyone apply to/hear from CLIMB at the University at Buffalo?

Just got UCSF rejection. Guessing everything from this point onward will be negative.

Finally rejected from UCSF SRTP

Just got UCSF rejection. Guessing everything from this point onward will be negative.

My friend actually just heard back with positive news (they got in!) from the Pasteur institute. So that's not without exception, I suppose.

Interviewed today for another large NIH program (3 year program). I told them several times before my interview that their orientation conflicted with the NIH Amgen program I'm doing but they still interviewed me so that's cool. Hopefully I get it, it has one hell of a stipend lol

Still waiting on UBuffalo CLIMB, Rutgers NeuroSURP, and NYU CNS SURP. UGH COME ON PEOPLE I JUST NEED ONE,

Finally received a rejection on the Leadership Alliance portal at 6am this morning from NYU. Not so happy about the rejection, but happy that I finally heard something concrete. My other offer still says 'on hold' and the third school i haven't heard a peep from.

I got a hold of PSOMER and they said they will be sending out final decisions by the end of the week.

UCSD STARS emailed me and said that I would hear back by Monday April 11th.

Interviewed today for another large NIH program (3 year program). I told them several times before my interview that their orientation conflicted with the NIH Amgen program I'm doing but they still interviewed me so that's cool. Hopefully I get it, it has one hell of a stipend lol
which 3 year program?

Got a MUSC rejection today. These programs are honestly a crapshoot.

Got rejected twice by a program I didn't even apply to (Combined SURP at the University of Massachusetts Medical School) but for some reason it still kinda hurt... lol. Anyway, just a heads up for anyone who might still be waiting to hear back from them.

Got rejected twice by a program I didn't even apply to (Combined SURP at the University of Massachusetts Medical School) but for some reason it still kinda hurt... lol. Anyway, just a heads up for anyone who might still be waiting to hear back from them.

I still haven't heard back at all lol

So just out of curiosity, how did everyone find out about these programs? I feel like everyone knew something that someone else didn't, and I'm sure we could all benefit from learning about other programs for next year.

Got rejected from MUSC, Rutgers, and NYU CNS. Still clinging onto hope for Rochester CVS and Buffalo CLIMB.

So just out of curiosity, how did everyone find out about these programs? I feel like everyone knew something that someone else didn't, and I'm sure we could all benefit from learning about other programs for next year.
I usually look for programs or people doing research that I'm interested in. Most universities have some sort of REU program that can be found on their website.

When I applied, no one had told me anything about these programs. In fact, I was the first person from my school to get into the internships I did. You just have to take the time to do an extensive search on the internet.

Reactions: 2 users

Scouring medical school websites and using previous year's threads as a guide.

It's been such a bad week and I'm sure y'all have heard but they found a dead body on my campus at UT Austin on Tuesday. It's been crazy here

I googled places with the research I was interested in and tried to see if they had any such programs. So it wasn't as much as trying to find a program to do research in as it was trying to find research I wanted to do and see if a program would let me do it. Im pre-MD/PhD and have extensive research experience so I didn't want to go somewhere to learn how to pipette and run gels as much as I wanted to go to a cool scientific environment where I could experience some different science

I found an alphabetized list of just about every single research-oriented summer program (there were probably 500) on a university website through google. I also found a similar list, but with only 50-100 programs, specifically for neuroscience summer internships. I can't find them now, but when I do, I'll post the links. Basically, through google I found them all, whether it was the internship itself or a list of internships that I followed to more lists, etc.

EDIT: https://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm
^ There's the list of like all the programs alphabetized. Have fun applying ;)

EDIT 2: http://www.funfaculty.org/drupal/undergrad_internships_neuroscience
^ There's the list of the neuroscience programs :)

Hope this helps people find homes for next summer!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users