Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally found out our living situation for the NIH Amgen program. Looks like I'll be staying in a dorm at GWU. Anyone have any experience with the area and has any suggestions of fun stuff to do? I nearly cried when I found out the Chick Fil A on campus closed down.
GWU is so centralized (foggy bottom) so you can do a bunch of different things - depending on your interests. I'm assuming you are staying at their Shankman (sp?) building and each floor houses interns from different programs so mingling with them can be really fun. Georgetown is right around the corner and has a pretty nice theatre as well as many restaurants, cafes, etc. You are also just a few blocks from the Lincoln Memorial - which is just a wealth of things to see. I'm back at the GWU dorms this summer and can't wait!

Members don't see this ad.

GWU is so centralized (foggy bottom) so you can do a bunch of different things - depending on your interests. I'm assuming you are staying at their Shankman (sp?) building and each floor houses interns from different programs so mingling with them can be really fun. Georgetown is right around the corner and has a pretty nice theatre as well as many restaurants, cafes, etc. You are also just a few blocks from the Lincoln Memorial - which is just a wealth of things to see. I'm back at the GWU dorms this summer and can't wait!

I'll actually be staying in The Dakota. Should be fun

Now that most of us know where we are going post where you will be doing research!!!!
Ohio State School of Nursing!! I am super excited for Columbus hahah

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Now that most of us know where we are going post where you will be doing research!!!!

Johns Hopkins Medical School! Pretty excited because I'll get to do schizophrenia research and work with patients, and that's essentially what I think I want to do for my career. Anyone have recommendations for places to explore in Baltimore?

U. Chicago! Beyond excited. Does anyone know any good spots to visit?

NIH Amgen. I'll be staying on campus at GWU. If anyone in the area wants to go look at museums and **** let me know.
Got my lab placement the other day and chatted with my PI. Super stoked about this. Should be an awesome experience.

Did anyone not here back from UPENN SUIP? I applied through their website, not Leadership Alliance, so there isn't a portal to check the update and I know my application was complete.

Did anyone not here back from UPENN SUIP? I applied through their website, not Leadership Alliance, so there isn't a portal to check the update and I know my application was complete.
I have a friend who applied through the leadership alliance and she hasn't heard anything from them either, they haven't updated her portal.

Officially gave up and set up a lab position at my schools med school for the summer :/..... It's volunteer but whatever maybe Hooters will hire me for the summer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys, as an update. I work at a restaurant similar to Hooters now and am doing research in the med school lab with mice and cannibinoids. #dreamsdocometrue

Reactions: 4 users
Freshman (7 Year BS/MD Program), I have participated in few programs during my freshman year , applied to few summer programs reject from all but got into REU Rutgers.

I don't know if anyone is still active on this thread but..
If I have a 3.75 GPA, but no prior research experience due to lack of opportunities at my university, what are my chances of getting into a summer research program?
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for any relatively less competitive REU or SURF locations?

If I have a 3.75 GPA, but no prior research experience due to lack of opportunities at my university, what are my chances of getting into a summer research program?
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for any relatively less competitive REU or SURF locations?

It really depends on the research site you choose, and your academic year. If you're a freshman and have no research experience, it is typically more forgiven than an upperclassman in the same boat. Also, do you want a PhD or just getting research for it to look good on your med school apps? Most REUs and SURFs want people that are pursuing a PhD or an MD-PhD, and just wanting to add something to your CV also generally affects the quality of your essay.

I know there are some research programs out there that are for people pursuing a medical degree, but I don't know much about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone applying for the research program this summer?

most of them are intensely competitive ...

in the personal statement, should I write in detail about my previous research experience? ...

in the personal statement, should I write in detail about my previous research experience? ...
You should provide enough detail to prove to the adcom that you know what you're talking about without getting too technical at the same time.

I posted this last year, but figured another class could use it.

For all you guys struggling through this process: it will be okay. I remember reading all these posts back after my sophomore year when I applied to all these summer research programs. The result- I was rejected from every single one (all 10, and no top programs) and felt pretty crushed. Despite that, I used my summer to work on the MCAT, work a full time job at a restaurant, and do a little bit of clinical volunteering. While it was hard to see all these other people going off to these big things, you can still find other ways to show your passion and pursue your dreams. Find something you really love to do and it will all be okay.

Skip to the end of my story-I ended up having a great MD/PhD application cycle. 20 apps, 14II, 12 interviews, 9 acceptances (including multiple top 10 type programs I didn't even consider applying to for summer research) and am now a happy M1 at an incredible school. I even was able to be in a position to turn down interview invites at schools that had previously rejected me for these type of summer programs. Your life (and pursuit of medicine/science) does not end with these rejections/acceptances.

Keep fighting!

Reactions: 9 users
I posted this last year, but figured another class could use it.

For all you guys struggling through this process: it will be okay. I remember reading all these posts back after my sophomore year when I applied to all these summer research programs. The result- I was rejected from every single one (all 10, and no top programs) and felt pretty crushed. Despite that, I used my summer to work on the MCAT, work a full time job at a restaurant, and do a little bit of clinical volunteering. While it was hard to see all these other people going off to these big things, you can still find other ways to show your passion and pursue your dreams. Find something you really love to do and it will all be okay.

Skip to the end of my story-I ended up having a great MD/PhD application cycle. 20 apps, 14II, 12 interviews, 9 acceptances (including multiple top 10 type programs I didn't even consider applying to for summer research) and am now a happy M1 at an incredible school. I even was able to be in a position to turn down interview invites at schools that had previously rejected me for these type of summer programs. Your life (and pursuit of medicine/science) does not end with these rejections/acceptances.

Keep fighting!

stats?

Rejected by UM FPHLP :unsure:
Got waitlisted for the Columbia SPHSP :unsure:
Got into the MCHC:)
Not my ideal scenario, but at least I got something!! Thank God!!
Good Luck to everyone else who is still waiting! :thumbup:
Hey I applied for these as well. I know this is an old thread, but what were your stats at this time?

Hey I applied for these as well. I know this is an old thread, but what were your stats at this time?
I had a 3.84 GPA and some volunteering experience with undeserved communities in addition to some prior premed enrichment programs. I think the biggest thing that helped me was writing essays that clearly conveyed my motivations and realistic outlook on what I wanted to do. It's ironic because Columbia was the most highly desired wrong and I was so close to getting in but then got rejected by all the other sites except 1. But as they say, you only need one! Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck! :)

Hii I applied to Johns Hopkins and got rejected and am still awaiting UChicago and Harvard...what do you think my chances are? I have a 3.5 GPA and research experience with a ton of ECs, solid letters of rec, and I spent a while on my essay and felt pretty good about it. I'm a bit nervous because it seems everyone who got into these two research sites got in

Hello i just submitted my application to CRISSP, I was wondering when did you hear about the interview and if you participated how was it.

Hello i just submitted my application to CRISSP, I was wondering when did you hear about the interview and if you participated how was it.
Hey, I applied as well and haven't heard back yet! Have you heard back? Do you know when they conduct interviews?