Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EphemeralRose3

I try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! For those of you who still have finals coming up, I wish you the best of luck! :)
This thread is for anyone who is thinking of applying to any undergrad research experience for summer 2012.

I'm currently thinking of applying to Mt Sinai, NYU, Johns Hopkins and Columbia AMGEN SURP's. I'm a sophomore Biochemistry major, with a 3.6 GPA. The only research experience I have is as a volunteer research assistant at a laboratory not affiliated with my college.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll probably be applying as well. I'm a junior majoring in Biology with minors in Chemistry & Psychology. GPA is about a 3.7. I will have about one year of research assistant experience at my university by the time they receive my applications. I'm not sure what programs I will apply to though. I just started browsing the different programs. I'm located in NJ so will probably apply to programs at UMDNJ, Rutgers, Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Mt. Sinai, etc. I'll post an update when I decide. :)

Nice! I'm from NYC, so I'll probably be applying to same programs you are, since I want to stay somewhat close to home. If we end up at the same SURP, I'd love to meet you sometime! :)

Best of luck on your finals!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd apply through the Leadership Alliance.

Question to those applying:

If you're applying to multiple research programs, then, as you know, they each require 2+ LORs each, so if you apply to maybe 5 or 6, you need to submit 10-12 LORs.

Now, how do you do this? Do you use some kind of online service? Because I highly doubt any of my professors would be willing to write 6 LORs.

If you're applying to multiple research programs, then, as you know, they each require 2+ LORs each, so if you apply to maybe 5 or 6, you need to submit 10-12 LORs.

Now, how do you do this? Do you use some kind of online service? Because I highly doubt any of my professors would be willing to write 6 LORs.

Yea, faced this problem last year. I'm pretty sure I pissed off my PI when I asked for 7 LORs in the span of two weeks. What I would recommend if you have the available faculty members, especially if you're applying to 5+ programs (arbitrary number), is to distribute the LORs across multiple faculty members so you can mix and match LORs to reduce the overall LOR load on each individual faculty member. Also, I would carefully select research programs that you are interested in, and I would definitely apply to programs like the NIH SIP, which has thousands of potential labs you can work in.

I find it unlikely that online services will work out for summer internships, since most programs have very individualized recommendation forms that they request faculty members to fill out.

Yea, faced this problem last year. I'm pretty sure I pissed off my PI when I asked for 7 LORs in the span of two weeks. What I would recommend if you have the available faculty members, especially if you're applying to 5+ programs (arbitrary number), is to distribute the LORs across multiple faculty members so you can mix and match LORs to reduce the overall LOR load on each individual faculty member. Also, I would carefully select research programs that you are interested in, and I would definitely apply to programs like the NIH SIP, which has thousands of potential labs you can work in.

I find it unlikely that online services will work out for summer internships, since most programs have very individualized recommendation forms that they request faculty members to fill out.

:thumbup:
Thanks a ton, that really helps. I'll probably get 3-4 professors lined up so each can write me 2 LORs.

Also, good luck to everyone applying! :D

^ Yeah, I asked one of my professors to write 5 letters, and I just asked my postdoc and PI to write a bunch so I split it that way.

That's why I will use the same LOR's for the couple of summer programs i plan to apply to. All of them cater to my interests equally anyways (microbio, virology, neurosci).

Nice! I'm from NYC, so I'll probably be applying to same programs you are, since I want to stay somewhat close to home. If we end up at the same SURP, I'd love to meet you sometime! :)

Best of luck on your finals!

Nice! I'm only a few miles outside of the city in NJ suburbs. Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't really feel like bothering a lot of faculty members. I will probably apply to 5-8 programs. I am going to ask one professor and my PI to write letters for me. I figured that I would just ask them to write out a "generic" kind of letter and just swap out the name of the school/program. I haven't looked at the applications specifically to see which ones require recommendation forms.. I feel bad asking especially since I will be asking again a month later for medical school letters.

I don't really feel like bothering a lot of faculty members. I will probably apply to 5-8 programs. I am going to ask one professor and my PI to write letters for me. I figured that I would just ask them to write out a "generic" kind of letter and just swap out the name of the school/program. I haven't looked at the applications specifically to see which ones require recommendation forms.. I feel bad asking especially since I will be asking again a month later for medical school letters.

Exactly. I'll probably feel really nervous when I ask (especially the second time for med schools).

Exactly. I'll probably feel really nervous when I ask (especially the second time for med schools).

Well the two people I plan on asking for LORs for the summer programs are my PI and my prehealth advisor/professor. My prehealth advisor obviously knows I am applying and when. My PI also knows I intend on applying to medical school and that I'm a junior now so hopefully they will see it coming.. lol.

It depends what professor you pick; for these research programs, I assume you will ask letters from your PI, in which case, most PIs simply use one general letter for you and tinker it for each prospective program.

I was just about to make this thread if I didn't see it! So excited for application season. :)

And I feel lucky to have very generous LOR writers who will be writing my letters for all the programs I apply to. :D

I'm only going to be applying to two as of right now as it looks like I can get an internship at the company I worked at last summer. WashU's AMGEN program, and U Hawaii's computational fluid dynamics REU. I'm hoping for the latter, for VERY obvious reasons. I'm actually pretty qualified for it, too (classes taken & software experience)

Whoever is applying to Baylor, UF, Miami, Columbia, Mayo, Hopkins, good luck I'm applying to those too!

I'm only going to be applying to two as of right now as it looks like I can get an internship at the company I worked at last summer. WashU's AMGEN program, and U Hawaii's computational fluid dynamics REU. I'm hoping for the latter, for VERY obvious reasons. I'm actually pretty qualified for it, too (classes taken & software experience)

The Amgen program is a very competitive, but great program. I did it last year at Berkeley and have nothing but good things to say.

My only issue with the program is that they allow "non-graduating seniors" to apply. I always wondered how they verified this status.

I'm applying to multiple programs as well, but instead of asking my letter writers to write multiple letters, I just wake them to upload it to interfolio. I feel like this is a more convenient way for me and my letter writers to submit the letters to the respective programs.

I'm applying to multiple programs as well, but instead of asking my letter writers to write multiple letters, I just wake them to upload it to interfolio. I feel like this is a more convenient way for me and my letter writers to submit the letters to the respective programs.
Many of these programs want letters submitted by the writers themselves, and will solicit submissions by having you enter the writers' contact information and sending them an email with instruction for letter upload. Be aware of that if it applies to any of the programs you're applying to.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for these programs? Like 10% or less?

I would like to know to, especially for the Amgen Scholars, the average GPA of acceptance?

Does anyone know the acceptance rate for these programs? Like 10% or less?
It depends. Mayo accepts like 20%, Baylor between 10-20%. The NIH SIP is also around 20% I believe. Some programs are lower. AMGEN's typically take far fewer students than other programs, so I would imagine their collective rate is lower.

I like Baylor and Mayo so I plan on apply to those too. Also applying to the lesser known ones like in UMiami, UF, and UChicago since they have research opportunities that cater to my interests (Microbio, neurosci, Cellbio and virology)

When we apply for these programs and they ask for GPA, do they want institutional GPA or our GPA without grade replacement?

I just looked at one of the personal statement prompts, and it's pretty brutal IMO.
Here it is: "Please submit one single-spaced page discussing, in your own words, your education, research experience, academic and professional plans, and reasons for applying to this Program. Please include your name and date of birth on the page."

I don't expect anyone to do my homework for me, but I could really use some pointers! I'm sure others feel the same way.

I'm so glad I found this thread, I'm applying to some as well. I'm trying to pick which to apply to right now.
Like the others in this thread, I'm mostly looking at all the NYC programs, like Mount Sinai, NYU, SUNY Downstate etc..

How many REU programs should one typically apply to? I have a list of ten, but I'm pretty sure that's way too many. I was thinking perhaps seven? I already told my letter writers it would be several, and told them they could use the same letter for each. So hopefully submitting for multiple programs won't be too big of a hassle...

Last edited:
I'm applying to various SURF/SURP and HCOP programs for the summer... I'm also interested in applying to the UC Davis Pre-Medical Surgical Internship program, which is a year-round program for quarterly internships. I'd consider taking a quarter off of my senior year to do this too (I think I could make that work...)

are there any research opportunities that aren't impossible to get into or require previous research?

I'm only applying to two programs, and both require research.. I have none, but I'm really interested in the programs and I'm willing to do the appropriate legwork to get ahead.

I'm only applying to two programs, and both require research.. I have none, but I'm really interested in the programs and I'm willing to do the appropriate legwork to get ahead.

I've wanted to do summer research for a long time now, but I get really disappointed when I see all of the requirements. I might try to do some psych research at my school, but up to this point I haven't done anything big and I want to, I just don't really know how to go about it. Any tips from anyone about how to land your first research participation?

I've wanted to do summer research for a long time now, but I get really disappointed when I see all of the requirements. I might try to do some psych research at my school, but up to this point I haven't done anything big and I want to, I just don't really know how to go about it. Any tips from anyone about how to land your first research participation?
At your home institution? Check out the faculty lists online in the departments you're interested in, review members' research interests and activities, choose a few you find most interesting or that seem most open/available (if they have a lab page and list undergrads working there, that's a good tip-off), and shoot them some emails describing who you are, your interest in their research, inquire if they employ (volunteer or otherwise) undergrads in their lab (if you aren't sure), and express your desire to discuss with them the possibility of joining their lab team. If you're lucky, some of the faculty members' lab pages will include a pre-formatted application to join the lab as an assistant.

At your home institution? Check out the faculty lists online in the departments you're interested in, review members' research interests and activities, choose a few you find most interesting or that seem most open/available (if they have a lab page and list undergrads working there, that's a good tip-off), and shoot them some emails describing who you are, your interest in their research, inquire if they employ (volunteer or otherwise) undergrads in their lab (if you aren't sure), and express your desire to discuss with them the possibility of joining their lab team. If you're lucky, some of the faculty members' lab pages will include a pre-formatted application to join the lab as an assistant.

I lied....I do have lab experience lol. I worked as a lab assistant to a professor here at my school for about 4 months but ultimately had to quit because it was interfering with my school work. I guess I'll just try to research back here in my home town

I lied....I do have lab experience lol. I worked as a lab assistant to a professor here at my school for about 4 months but ultimately had to quit because it was interfering with my school work. I guess I'll just try to research back here in my home town
So then is the reason you don't feel you can apply to these programs because you wouldn't have a letter from your PI? Or what?

So then is the reason you don't feel you can apply to these programs because you wouldn't have a letter from your PI? Or what?

i would not feel comfortable asking him for one. It was supposed to be an 8-10 hour a week thing....I was responsible for prepping the lab for the general chemistry. I did fine at it, but there were a few issues where he would tell me to do one thing and then when I was finished ask me why I didn't do something else. For example....this solution should be 250 ppm then later on he would ask for 25 ppm when I 'd already made the 250. On top of my 2 other jobs on campus being the president of a club, and other stuff, it just became too much. It got to the point where I was prepping the lab, grading the HW, and grading lab reports. For $7.25 an hour, the stress level it was giving me and the impact on my study time was not worth it. I don't think I'd get a recommendation that I need from this experience. Also, I've been thinking of taking this off of my resume....I am afraid if someone contacts him he might not speak as highly of me. What do you think?

i would not feel comfortable asking him for one. It was supposed to be an 8-10 hour a week thing....I was responsible for prepping the lab for the general chemistry. I did fine at it, but there were a few issues where he would tell me to do one thing and then when I was finished ask me why I didn't do something else. For example....this solution should be 250 ppm then later on he would ask for 25 ppm when I 'd already made the 250. On top of my 2 other jobs on campus being the president of a club, and other stuff, it just became too much. It got to the point where I was prepping the lab, grading the HW, and grading lab reports. For $7.25 an hour, the stress level it was giving me and the impact on my study time was not worth it. I don't think I'd get a recommendation that I need from this experience. Also, I've been thinking of taking this off of my resume....I am afraid if someone contacts him he might not speak as highly of me. What do you think?
If you don't feel you gained any skills or useful experience from it, I wouldn't mention it on a resumé.

Why do you guys need different recommendations for each SURF program you apply to? Why can't you just ask your LOR writers to send the same letter to each program? I'm only familiar with the Columbia SURF and they basically just ask for a very general LOR. There are no guidelines or specifics (unless I'm missing something).

Why do you guys need different recommendations for each SURF program you apply to? Why can't you just ask your LOR writers to send the same letter to each program? I'm only familiar with the Columbia SURF and they basically just ask for a very general LOR. There are no guidelines or specifics (unless I'm missing something).
You don't necessarily. One of my letters is going to be universal. For the other, the writer just wants to "personalize" them for each program.

You don't necessarily. One of my letters is going to be universal. For the other, the writer just wants to "personalize" them for each program.

Yeah both my LOR writers want to personalize each letter for each program as well. That's why I felt awkward when they asked me how many programs I'm applying to, so I narrowed it down to two.

Would I have a chance for many of these as a freshman upon applying? I know specific programs require certain standing, but in general?

There is NERA MedPrep for NY/NJ residents and SMDEP. Both programs are primarily designed for minority students. Look them up and apply. Good luck.