Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question, does anyone know of a person or a service who isn't a ripp-off and pretty helpful in terms of PS edit?
I have trouble keeping my voice in my essays and sounding too informal. The career-service at my school is only good in terms of business people.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a FB group for MAYO 2012 Surf for those accepted.

^ Send me a link for it via email.
I deactivated my FB for a couple days to study for my 5 midterms in a span of three days which starts tomorrow. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley or MIT yet? I've been accepted to Rockefeller, but only have until the 1st to notify them of my decision (probably before I hear back from any of the other schools I applied to). Is it completely uncouth to see if Rockefeller will give me an extension?

I'm in the same boat. I feel like it is uncouth because it says you'd rather go somewhere else.

Also, does anyone know what the living arrangements are like for Rockefeller? Like how close to the campus and single/double?

Amgen Scholar!!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited:
Wash U. !!!:clap:

Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I have been accepted to one place but they want me to accept the offer by this week. However, there is another program that I am also seriously considering that will not get back to me this week. What should I do?

Can i call that program and ask them if they can give me extra time to accept or reject? Will this not imply to them that I am considering other programs (then they wont like that...or perhaps even rescind the offer!).

Need anyone's opinion. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I have been accepted to one place but they want me to accept the offer by this week. However, there is another program that I am also seriously considering that will not get back to me this week. What should I do?

Can i call that program and ask them if they can give me extra time to accept or reject? Will this not imply to them that I am considering other programs (then they wont like that...or perhaps even rescind the offer!).

You can always ask for an extension, but what would you see it as?

As far as the choice, a bird in the hand...

You can always ask for an extension, but what would you see it as?

As far as the choice, a bird in the hand...

Well I have the offer as of now....can they rescind that offer just by asking for an extension? Will they not think that by me asking for an extension, that is like saying that they are not my number one choice.

Same here. I would not offer an extension.
I have till Thursday and plan to make my decision tomorrow.

Well I have the offer as of now....can they rescind that offer just by asking for an extension? Will they not think that by me asking for an extension, that is like saying that they are not my number one choice.
I mean it sort of is like saying they're not your number one choice... If they were you'd just accept it right?

As to your first question, I think they can do whatever they want, it's their program...

I concur. If you ask for an extension, they'll probably not respond and wait for the deadline to offer someone else a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Today I got accepted to a program that was always my first choice. If they hadn't called today, I was going to call them to check on my status. If it came to it, I would have told them they were my first choice but I was being forced to choose now and needed to know. I think this is the more tactful approach.

anyone else apply to University of Indiana Physician-Scientist Program? Currently waitlisted...

I got accepted into Rockefeller today and have until 3/6 to respond. For various reasons I can't attend, but as they're in my top two choices for graduate school (I am pre-MD/PhD) I want to make it clear that I'm still interested in the program. Does anyone have any tips on etiquette of turning down REUs? I looked at some other threads on SDN and they said just be courteous but does anyone have anything more specific?

I got accepted into Rockefeller today and have until 3/6 to respond. For various reasons I can't attend, but as they're in my top two choices for graduate school (I am pre-MD/PhD) I want to make it clear that I'm still interested in the program. Does anyone have any tips on etiquette of turning down REUs? I looked at some other threads on SDN and they said just be courteous but does anyone have anything more specific?
Tell them the various reasons you can't attend?

Is there an email database for NIH professors?

I've been emailing a lot of them (7 so far), and will continue to do so, but I have
yet to get a single reply. I'm not talking about an acceptance; I'm just looking for some sort of acknowledgement, even a "no we don't have space."

Maybe they're just too busy. I'm just wondering if there's a place to get up-to-date email addresses, just in case the ones on their website don't work.

Thanks.

Okay, so I went on my application site at NYU Sackler, and there it said that my decision was made on 2/24, but they did not say what my decision was.. I did not receive an email or a letter in the mail from NYU SURP.

What do I do? Do I call them?

I do not know when they are supposed to notify the applicants with their decisions.

Okay, so I went on my application site at NYU Sackler, and there it said that my decision was made on 2/24, but they did not say what my decision was.. I did not receive an email or a letter in the mail from NYU SURP.

What do I do? Do I call them?

I do not know when they are supposed to notify the applicants with their decisions.

Interesting, mine still says under review. It couldn't hurt to call right?

Interesting, mine still says under review. It couldn't hurt to call right?

Mine says that it's under review on the main screen after you log in. Then, if you click on the "Print Application" button, it brings you to either a PDF or HTML version of your app, and it said on there: "Decision Date: February 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM."

My question is: It does not reveal what the decision is... only that it's been made.

Mine says that it's under review on the main screen after you log in. Then, if you click on the "Print Application" button, it brings you to either a PDF or HTML version of your app, and it said on there: "Decision Date: February 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM."

My question is: It does not reveal what the decision is... only that it's been made.

Mine says the same. Even the same time. 3:40:35?

They must just be waiting to send out the decisions via email for Slaker. Gahhh I wanna know :( Guess we'll just keep waiting...

same here. it must be a glitch

I just called NYU Sackler, she said the decisions should be going out sometime this week, and probably tomorrow morning! AHhh

Mine just said decision date today at 12:11 (the same time I hit "print app"). I think it's highly unlikely that they JUST made a decision at the same exact instant.

mine says February 29, 2012 at 12:19PM, and I clicked Print Transcript 20 minutes after. So maybe it means something?

edit: on another note, has anybody heard from project healthcare, wustl biomedrap?

Last edited:
ahhh......just e-mailed stony brook. Their website says that decisions would be made a week after the deadline (which was feb 17)......they replied and said they would be notifying students in the middle of march :mad:

My NYU app still says pending revision.... Interesting

same :( 30 spots from 1250 applicants wowww. ridiculous stuff

You know how it says if we apply later, that we get the application fee waived? I'm a sophomore. Would it still work later?

Wow! NYU received that much? I'm glad I didn't apply. Looks really selective.
I hope you guys get an acceptance from other programs!
Anyone else got into Mayo SURF? I'm so excited!

That's what I thought you meant, but I don't have a clue what you're talking about lol

Oh. Does your email not say this:

To show our appreciation for your time and effort in applying to our summer program, it is our pleasure to waive the application fees to the graduate program at the School of Medicine (Ph.D. only ) to which you may apply in the future.

Oh. Does your email not say this:

To show our appreciation for your time and effort in applying to our summer program, it is our pleasure to waive the application fees to the graduate program at the School of Medicine (Ph.D. only ) to which you may apply in the future.
Ah, no it does not, probably because I did not check a Ph.D.-only box on the application.

Ah, no it does not, probably because I did not check a Ph.D.-only box on the application.

Makes sense. I had to double check and see what I put! Haha. I usually put MD/PhD. I wonder why I didn't.