Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If last year's thread holds true for this year, we should be getting letters from Sloan today or tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really hoping that's it. I feel like most programs probably use transcripts just to verify what the applicants say, so hopefully (my favorite word as of late) it won't impact our decisions. I'm really betting on the fact that they just don't update their records, because both of us submitted our transcripts well before the deadline. I'm from Philly so it only had a little farther to travel than yours did!

I'd rather get any rejections sooner than later, the wait is killer.

I'm dying waiting for their responses. I know I'll probably get rejected. I applied to three programs - Mt. Sinai, NYU and Johns Hopkins.

Mt. Sinai only accepts like thirteen students out of what I can assume to be four-hundred applications, while Johns Hopkins accepts twenty students per program out of eight-hundred applicants.

Like on one hand, I am an immigrant, bilingual, have great LORs, okay ECs, 3.6 GPA... I just feel that the odds are against me because I submitted my apps the day they were due.

I'd rather know now that I got rejected, because I wanna make summer plans! Some of my friends are going to Europe, and they're making the arrangements now, and I really wanna go with them.

so if you turn in your apps at the last minute, does it really hurt your chances? cause one of my recommendations was not submitted until like couple days after the deadline

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm dying waiting for their responses. I know I'll probably get rejected. I applied to three programs - Mt. Sinai, NYU and Johns Hopkins.

Mt. Sinai only accepts like thirteen students out of what I can assume to be four-hundred applications, while Johns Hopkins accepts twenty students per program out of eight-hundred applicants.

Like on one hand, I am an immigrant, bilingual, have great LORs, okay ECs, 3.6 GPA... I just feel that the odds are against me because I submitted my apps the day they were due.

I'd rather know now that I got rejected, because I wanna make summer plans! Some of my friends are going to Europe, and they're making the arrangements now, and I really wanna go with them.

I think you would of had a better chance if you applied to more programs. Since most of these programs, especially the ones in NY, get like 1000's of applicants. Last year, I applied to around 8 programs ( all round the deadlines)...most of them were middle to prestige programs...I didn't have great stats, but I did manage to get into 2 programs.

what to do!

got accepted to the cerebrovascular lab yesterday. Find out today they do not offer any type of housing or stipend. Say that most of the work is remote (I guess data analysis and stuff like that) but that I would still have to be in NYC a few times a week. I'm not rich by any means and don't think I could afford to live there or commute

here is to hoping I get accepted elsewhere....

My transcript was deemed complete yesterday. That took a while :confused:

what to do!

got accepted to the cerebrovascular lab yesterday. Find out today they do not offer any type of housing or stipend. Say that most of the work is remote (I guess data analysis and stuff like that) but that I would still have to be in NYC a few times a week. I'm not rich by any means and don't think I could afford to live there or commute

here is to hoping I get accepted elsewhere....
Sounds like a rip off if you ask me.

^^ I agree.

So how do programs rank? Like how do you know which ones are prestigious or not? I basically applied to programs based on location and interest. I don't really know how hard they are to get into, besides Rockefeller (15/500). For instance, is Mayo hard to get into? They accept 90-100, but I wonder how many apply...?

I hear Mayo receives near to a thousand apps.

WHAT?! Omg. The director for my top choice program called me today, but I was in class. He said he wanted to discuss my application and that I was a strong candidate. I'm so scared & it's like middle down my list. I already left him a super awkward message back... gah.

Last edited:

I know how you feel. I applied to nine programs so far: NYU SURP, MIT & Columbia Amgen's, Leadership Alliance at Princeton, Yale, and Harvard, Yale CAPLAB (more clinical than benchwork) and UMichigan's Pre-MSTP program. I may apply to another neuroscience one (NYU CNS) but the app isn't due until sometime in March and I had hoped I would hear back before then (positive or negative) from somewhere.

I've heard admissions is a crapshoot, often with more disheartening percentages than med school. I submitted some a few weeks early and some right before the deadline. Traveling to Europe sounds like so much fun! Not too shabby of a backup plan :thumbup:

I feel like there are so many "gunners" out there with incredible stats (SDN is full of them!) that it's easy to get caught up in numbers. There are enough 4.0's with extensive research to fill up programs, but thankfully they take other things into account. I'm just hoping I conveyed what a great fit I would be with each program!

just got my offer to the mayo surf! thank god cause it was the only one i applied to. whew

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still hoping to hear back from Mayo SURF. I'd love to work there for the summer.

I checked the website and there hasn't been any sort of Rejection posted, so still keeping hopes alive. Anyone else hear some sort of rejection from them?

Does anyone know about Einstein? I think the website says May 1 but that's a long time...

I felt the something last year apply as sophomore. I applied to around 15 programs but only get 1 wait list from UT Southwestern and a spot in Baylor Medicine SMART in the end of March.
I had already signed up to study abroad in Germany when Baylor accepted me.

By the way, Mayo received 1135 applications this year for 100 spots. (8.8%)

Now, I am really glad that I was able to be in Baylor. Not just from great research/LOR perspective but also friends and costs.

Thanks for that info! The guy called me back, and apparently, he thinks I'd be a good match for a researcher who doesn't want students this summer... he encouraged me to call/email the guy.

Btw, he kept on stressing that it was good that I have research experience, if anyone wonders how that plays a part.

I'd love to do SMART or Rockefeller, though.

Rochester's SURF - phone interview invites sent out today

Wow! 1100+ applications for only 100 spots?
Guess I'm out of the running...

CSHL URP emails just went out.

And I was rejected. :(

For all those wondering about Rockefeller -- I heard back yesterday and have until the 22nd to accept/decline.
I don't know how they do their admission process though, if they send out all the acceptances at once or piece-wise. I worked in one of the labs there for a month this winter and my PI talked to the dean specifically about bringing me back, so I think that really helped my chances. I can post stats if anyone wants. Good luck to everyone else! :):)

Does anyone know about Einstein? I think the website says May 1 but that's a long time...

I found out around March 15 last year. That may be the rejection notification date, but I really have no idea haha.

Last edited:
For all those wondering about Rockefeller -- I heard back yesterday and have until the 22nd to accept/decline.
I don't know how they do their admission process though, if they send out all the acceptances at once or piece-wise. I worked in one of the labs there for a month this winter and my PI talked to the dean specifically about bringing me back, so I think that really helped my chances. I can post stats if anyone wants. Good luck to everyone else! :):)

When did you submit your app? The website says that apps are reviewed in the order in which they are received...

Wow! 1100+ applications for only 100 spots?
Guess I'm out of the running...

I think they're just starting to send out the first batch. I wouldn't say you were out! A high percentage get in compared to other programs

I was accepted to a program that is asking for a decision (accept or reject the offer) before I receive the decisions from my other programs. It is recommended to try to contact these other programs to try to get a decision before formal notification?

When did you submit your app? The website says that apps are reviewed in the order in which they are received...
I submitted it the night of the 31st, but like I said, my PI emailed the dean, so maybe they were looking out for my app?

I felt the same thing last year apply as sophomore. I applied to around 15 programs but only get 1 wait list from UT Southwestern and a spot in Baylor Medicine SMART in the end of March.
I had already signed up to study abroad in Germany when Baylor accepted me.

By the way, Mayo received 1135 applications this year for 100 spots. (8.8%)

Now, I am really glad that I was able to be in Baylor. Not just from great research/LOR perspective but also friends and costs.

I hate that catch 22 (you need research to get research)! Baylor sounds like it was a great experience. I'd really like to have an all-around great summer too. I really feel like I'll be shooting myself in the foot if I don't get research soon though :(

i hate that catch 22 (you need research to get research)! Baylor sounds like it was a great experience. I'd really like to have an all-around great summer too. I really feel like i'll be shooting myself in the foot if i don't get research soon though :(

same here! :(

got my acceptance to NYU in email today!!!

couldn't be happier

same here! :(

My advice is to try and get research any way you can. This happened to me last summer -- I applied to a ton of REU's and didn't get into any. I then emailed a bunch of professors at a local university in the field I was interested in until I found one who had space in their lab for a research volunteer. It was unpaid, but it was three months of full-time research, which was not only a great experience, but got me a good LOR and something to put on my resume for REUs this year.

After reading this thread, I feel that I am so naive. I know SURFs are competitive but didn't realize they were that hard to get into. I don't think I have any shot for the programs I applied. It's time to make a backup plan.

Last edited:
Hey man,

Which track are you on? I will see you this summer :)
Still waiting on Mount SInai/Umich Physiology/ Harvard NEPRC if any accepts me by Monday...

I'll be in biochemistry and molecular biology. I'm pretty excited i'll be doing something this summer (i did princeton mol bio last summer). see ya there!

After reading this thread, I feel that I am so naive. I know SURFs are competitive but didn't realize they were that hard to get into. I don't think I have any shot for the programs I applied. It's time to make a backup plan.

Agreed!

Has anyone heard from sloan-kettering? According to the thread last year, results should be coming out...

I applied there as well. I heard somewhere that they let people know pretty early, especially if you applied early. However, I didn't get my app in until 5:00 PM February 1st so it looks like I'll be waiting a while.

Does anyone know how competitive Einstein's program is? It says it accepts 50 students, but I can't imagine how many applicants they must get.

I applied there as well. I heard somewhere that they let people know pretty early, especially if you applied early. However, I didn't get my app in until 5:00 PM February 1st so it looks like I'll be waiting a while.

Does anyone know how competitive Einstein's program is? It says it accepts 50 students, but I can't imagine how many applicants they must get.

They told us during the program intro that it was more competitive to get accepted into the SURP than into their MD, MD/PhD, and PhD programs, but I have absolutely no idea what percentage that corresponds to. They didn't really go into the numbers, just brought up that point.

if we haven't heard from NYU SURP, what are our chances of getting in? has anybody heard from wustl biomedrap or jhu SIP or project healthcare?

thanks in advance!

Did anyone apply to University of Rochester's Strong Children's Research Center Summer Training Program? Or have you heard anything about the program?

I was accepted earlier this week, but without specification of which lab I'd be placed in.

I got an acceptance for MAYO last week. Pretty excited. Sad thing is that I am still waiting for Harvard-BW hospital, and John Hopkins....I do not know how I will handle the situation if I get more acceptances with regards to the latter. Baltimore City is a complete turn-off compared to Rochester Minn, but John Hopkins is big.

Who got accepted? and where are you staying, I am traveling 1500 miles.

Last edited:
Hey! I was just accepted at the MD Anderson Cancer Research Center program and I am really, really excited but I am also still waiting to hear from:

NYU SURP
Gerstner Sloan-Kettering SURP
Mt. Sinai SURP
Columbia U Amgen
UC Berkeley Amgen

I know that the MD Anderson program is relatively new, so that might make it a bit easier to get into than these other programs, but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything good about it?

I also don't know what to do because they want an answer from me by Friday but I haven't heard back from any of the other programs yet.

so I just called mayo and they told me that they already accepted about 53 people...:(

^ OMG!!
I stand no chance now :(
I at least I didn't get a rejection yet... *crosses fingers for acceptance*

Is it rude to inquire to a PI about opportunities for an end product (potential abstract, acknowledgement, co-authorship) after having been accepted to these summer programs? I am trying to decide between two of them and I like them both pretty much equally. I realize it's really hard to produce something in just a summer but I need some way to decide.