Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it rude to inquire to a PI about opportunities for an end product (potential abstract, acknowledgement, co-authorship) after having been accepted to these summer programs? I am trying to decide between two of them and I like them both pretty much equally. I realize it's really hard to produce something in just a summer but I need some way to decide.
It'll be easy to sound entitled (or like you're trying not to) asking that, so I'd be very careful at the least. What comes of your involvement is variable, so what you're really wanting to know is A) How productive is this PI? B) How productive is the specific research project you'll be involved with? C) Is the PI open to listing interns/undergrads on papers?

For A and B, why not just check the NIH Reporter and see how productive they have been with their active grants lately? For C, apart from looking up the authors listed on their recent papers (IMO time-intensive if even possible and not worth the trouble) I'm really not sure if there's a way to find out about this without asking, and I'd be wary of asking just because it doesn't seem tactful to me. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

As for Mayo, does the extension of offers depend on the department? Has anyone received offer from department of neurobiology of disease or Jacksonville campus?
The waiting is killing me. And this is not even med school application.

As for Mayo, does the extension of offers depend on the department? Has anyone received offer from department of neurobiology of disease or Jacksonville campus?
The waiting is killing me. And this is not even med school application.
PI's choose applicants individually, though the departments may gather PI's choices before sending out invites. I find this unlikely though.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those waiting on Mayo, if you email [email protected], she'll tell you whether or not you're still in the running for a spot.

As for Hopkins SIP, I contacted them and she said decisions go out March 1st. *Fingers crossed*

I'm also waiting on Einstein- debating on whether or not I should contact them. I really want to spend the summer in NY!

Best of luck to everyone!

For all those wondering about Rockefeller -- I heard back yesterday and have until the 22nd to accept/decline.
I don't know how they do their admission process though, if they send out all the acceptances at once or piece-wise. I worked in one of the labs there for a month this winter and my PI talked to the dean specifically about bringing me back, so I think that really helped my chances. I can post stats if anyone wants. Good luck to everyone else! :):)

Ahhh congrats on Rochester! I will also be doing Rochester's SURF program (through EAP, but it's a very similar program nonetheless). What have you heard about their SURF program? Also, who's your PI going to be? They already assigned me mine (so intimidated, haha, it's community health research as opposed to laboratory research, which actually lines up well with my career goals). I can't wait to meet everyone who's going to be at Rochester this summer! :)

EDIT: Wow, I must be completely stupid: I read Rockefeller as Rochester >.> But anyway, if anyone here is doing Rochester SURF, let me know haha. Have people heard good things about this program in particular?

Ahhh congrats on Rochester! I will also be doing Rochester's SURF program (through EAP, but it's a very similar program nonetheless). What have you heard about their SURF program? Also, who's your PI going to be? They already assigned me mine (so intimidated, haha, it's community health research as opposed to laboratory research, which actually lines up well with my career goals). I can't wait to meet everyone who's going to be at Rochester this summer! :)

EDIT: Wow, I must be completely stupid: I read Rockefeller as Rochester >.> But anyway, if anyone here is doing Rochester SURF, let me know haha. Have people heard good things about this program in particular?

I go to Rochester Undergrad right now and have an interview for the SURF program this evening. I will prob be going if I do get accepted.

I go to Rochester Undergrad right now and have an interview for the SURF program this evening. I will prob be going if I do get accepted.

Hey, I got an interview this evening too! I don't attend Rochester undergrad though. Do you know how many people they accept?

For those waiting on Mayo, if you email [email protected], she'll tell you whether or not you're still in the running for a spot.

As for Hopkins SIP, I contacted them and she said decisions go out March 1st. *Fingers crossed*

I'm also waiting on Einstein- debating on whether or not I should contact them. I really want to spend the summer in NY!

Eleven days until Hopkins decisions come out!! Everytime I think of March 1st, my heart literally throbs.. :eek:

I emailed Dr. Mueller, and here is her reply:

"Our appointment offers go out on a rolling basis for 4-5 weeks. We hope to complete the appointment process by March 16. Currently, we have extended about half the offers we anticipate for the summer. At the completion of the appointment process, I will post decline notices on ApplyYourself."

She did not tell me whether I was still in the running for a spot though.

FML if I don't get in, I'll have to continue research at my own institution and take 2-3 summer classes (most likely Trig and either Genetics or Microbiology)

FML if I don't get in, I'll have to continue research at my own institution and take 2-3 summer classes (most likely Trig and either Genetics or Microbiology)

Me too! Probably start shadowing too!
But, I seriously want to get in!

I emailed Dr. Mueller, and here is her reply:

"Our appointment offers go out on a rolling basis for 4-5 weeks. We hope to complete the appointment process by March 16. Currently, we have extended about half the offers we anticipate for the summer. At the completion of the appointment process, I will post decline notices on ApplyYourself."

She did not tell me whether I was still in the running for a spot though.

Hmm well, she told me, but it wasn't positive news- maybe that means you're still in the running? Not sure! I did tell her that I have to know really soon because of an alternative summer plan. Maybe she'll give you more info if you put it like that!

Silent rejections are really annoying- we do have lives too! Well... as much of a life as a science major can have :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email for a phone interview for Michigan STEP Molecular and Integrative Physiology. Wish me luck!

I just got into UPitt SURP for Cellular and Molecular Pathology! :) So excited.

Has anyone done it before?

I just called sloan-kettering, and the staff said we would be notified of the decisions on our application by the end of next week.

Does anyone know of any additional programs still accepting applications? I'm interested in biology-related research programs (particularly neuroscience).

UMDNJ-neruoscience summer program and NYU Center for Neural Science are accepting still. Good luck!

thanks guys- i was waitlisted at NYU for Leadership Alliance, so I'm trying to add a few extra apps in.

does anyone have tips for getting off waitlists (or increasing the likelihood of getting off of them)? :)

thanks guys- i was waitlisted at NYU for Leadership Alliance, so I'm trying to add a few extra apps in.

does anyone have tips for getting off waitlists (or increasing the likelihood of getting off of them)? :)

Leadership alliance sent out notices? Or is this by school?

i got an email from NYU MC saying that i was waitlisted as of now due to funding constraints and that people would be accepted off on a rolling basis...

Does anyone know anything about MUSC's SURP?
I've already applied and decisions don't come until mid-March, but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about that program or what's the chance of getting accepted. I haven't been able to find much about these kinds of statistics anywhere

Thanks!

I just got into UPitt SURP for Cellular and Molecular Pathology! :) So excited.

Has anyone done it before?

When was that due? I applied for the UPitt CNUP program, which was due on the 15th, and haven't heard back yet. I would LOVE to get into that : (

When was that due? I applied for the UPitt CNUP program, which was due on the 15th, and haven't heard back yet. I would LOVE to get into that : (

Apparently U PItt SURP is rolling. I think it's still open for applications (until March 1st).

UT Southwestern SURP decisions are supposed to come out tomorrow morning via email. Fingers crossed!

GOT INTO MAYO SURF!!
OMG I'm so ecstatic right now!
Researcher called me by phone when 5 minutes after I woke up from a nap.
This was one of my long-shot schools so I was surprised that I got the invitation.
Honestly, thought I was gonna get a in-call rejection.
YES!

GOT INTO MAYO SURF!!
This was one of my long-shot schools so I was surprised that I got the invitation.
YES!

Congrats! You told him/her that you would "think it over", right?
:smuggrin:

Haha, I said I was very happy for the invitation and I would let them know by the end of Feb.
They cited my PS as one of the factors of consideration; they said it was well-written and heartfelt to their cause.
Keep in mind I had less-than-stellar stats. (around a 3.5) and I had just began research late into last semester.

I saw that UTSW-QP Surf decisions had come out on this thread, so I called the person in charge of UTSW SURF program this afternoon. She said she that all decisions have been made and that decisions should go out tomorrow.

GOT INTO MAYO SURF!!
YES!
CONGRATULATIONS! I'm so happy for you! :)

GOT INTO MAYO SURF!!
YES!

I'm green with envy, but congratulations :)
Not knowing is the worst part (until I get rejections from everyone - that's the worst part).

GOT INTO MAYO SURF!!
YES!

hey! guess i'll be seeing you this summer!

Hey, I got an interview this evening too! I don't attend Rochester undergrad though. Do you know how many people they accept?

My interviewer told me that they accept 10 people each year.

Wow everyone's getting notices already...I haven't been contacted by anyone :scared:

Has anyone received anything from UTSW SURF today?

I haven't received anything either why can't they just tell us already they don't like us if they don't like us?:mad:

I haven't heard anything from UTSW yet, but I'll post as soon as I do (even if it is a rejection ).