Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called UTSW-SURF, and I got a notification email later. I am not offered a position but considered as an alternate.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm on the alternate list for UTSW SURF. :( (They just sent emails.)

what the hell..i'm an alternate too. is everyone!?

Members don't see this ad :)
A friend of mine just got accepted to UTSW SURF this morning at about 11. I just received an email about being an alternate. Really really hoping someone drops their spot! UTSW is one of my favorite schools- hoping to continue my education there in two years!

Wow, I guess almost everybody is an alternate...

Is there a reason why every1 being considered as an "alternative"....----___-----

As for Mayo, does the extension of offers depend on the department? Has anyone received offer from department of neurobiology of disease or Jacksonville campus?
The waiting is killing me. And this is not even med school application.

I got an invitation for Mayos neurobiology of disease in MN.

I got an invitation for Mayos neurobiology of disease in MN.

Whenever the guy called me about it, he made it sound like the guy in charge of the program chooses you, and then they forward your app to PIs who have similar interests and the PI chooses you.

Congrats!

Who else is going to Mayo SURF in MN this summer?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted at Sloan-Kettering. Someone decline their spot :)

you already got your email from sloan kettering? I didn't get anything...I guess I'm out? sighhh

Waitlisted at Sloan-Kettering. Someone decline their spot :)

When did you get an email from Sloan? Someone else on the board here said that they would send out emails next week...

Did anyone else apply for DAAD Rise? :) I'm wondering when decisions will be coming out...

Did anyone else apply for DAAD Rise? :) I'm wondering when decisions will be coming out...

I did! Yeah, I'm thinking it'll be this week. How awesome would it be to research in Germany? What cities are the projects you applied for in? I applied to one in Berlin, one in Braunschweig,and one in Munster :)

I honestly don't remember exactly what projects I applied for. All I know is that they were all neurobiology related.

Do you understand the selection process? I was looking on the website and it seems to be mostly GPA based. I really hope that I didn't pick too competitive of projects!

I would like to remind everyone that some programs are not strictly GPA based. I got into Mayo SURF, around [BLANK] GPA (lil less) and a couple months of research with no posters.
If you have great LOR's and a bangin' PS, you stand a good chance!
GL everyone!

Last edited:
JohnnyRomanes- I realize that most programs don't focus too much on GPA in the selection process, but DAAD Rise has some weird matching process for students from the US and the UK to complete summer research projects.

When did you get an email from Sloan? Someone else on the board here said that they would send out emails next week...

I emailed them about my application status since I have to accept/decline another offer by next Tuesday, so I'm probably an edge case.

I honestly don't remember exactly what projects I applied for. All I know is that they were all neurobiology related.

Do you understand the selection process? I was looking on the website and it seems to be mostly GPA based. I really hope that I didn't pick too competitive of projects!

Such a weird system! My understanding from emailing one of the phd candidate students is that DAAD ranks the students first by GPA, and then they try to match students and projects based on how the projects ranked the students and the students ranked the projects (1-1, 2-2, or 3-3). Sounds like a really tedious process! Yeah I tried to pick at least one from a more obscure city with hopes that it wouldn't be as popular as others. I lived in Germany for a while, and I had still never heard of Braunschweig.

Johns Hopkins decisions come out this Thursday! AHHHH! :scared:
Did anyone else apply to Johns Hopkins SIP?

I'm confused - are SURF and SIP etc. research programs at specific universities or are they terms to describe a type of research program offered at many universities? And how do they differ from regular research in a university lab?

Seriously...

What's killing me more is that they may not let us know by the deadline...they might draw it out until late april! :eek:

stony brook posted on their application site.........decisions will be made within one week of the deadline....does this mean I should have gotten an e-mail on friday? Monday? letter in the mail? ahhh

I better get accepted somewhere after applying to 10+ programs. I have a 3.9+ gpa from a large research university. I will very dissapointed considering all the money I spent sending my transcripts and recs.

I better get accepted somewhere after applying to 10+ programs. I have a 3.9+ gpa from a large research university. I will very dissapointed considering all the money I spent sending my transcripts and recs.

I applied to five programs and I am from a small university, have a >3.9 GPA and already got acceptance from Mayo. I did not spend a dime. I believe GPA is important, nevertheless meaningless if your PS is lacking strength. I think they might want someone in the lab who is really motivated to work and not necessarily there to say..."Oh, i am here because I am smart". Belonging to a top tier or "big" university unfortunately is something I believe is also of unimportance, as these programs target minority groups as well as small universities with extremely motivated students. With that being said, coming from a big school will not hurt you, but also gives you no significant advantage. One good thing I did notice is that you did apply to 10+ schools. This is important to increase your chances, but also you have to consider that number of acceptances each institution will award and the number of applicants it receives. Another important factor that comes into play is your prior research experience...say you want to go to Stanford...which absolutely requires prior experience. Good luck though, I think you will get accepted with so many apps. Usually some of these acceptances roll all the way through late March.

just got rejected from sloan kettering :scared:

I applied to five programs and I am from a small university, have a >3.9 GPA and already got acceptance from Mayo. I did not spend a dime. I believe GPA is important, nevertheless meaningless if your PS is lacking strength. I think they might want someone in the lab who is really motivated to work and not necessarily there to say..."Oh, i am here because I am smart". Belonging to a top tier or "big" university unfortunately is something I believe is also of unimportance, as these programs target minority groups as well as small universities with extremely motivated students. With that being said, coming from a big school will not hurt you, but also gives you no significant advantage. One good thing I did notice is that you did apply to 10+ schools. This is important to increase your chances, but also you have to consider that number of acceptances each institution will award and the number of applicants it receives. Another important factor that comes into play is your prior research experience...say you want to go to Stanford...which absolutely requires prior experience. Good luck though, I think you will get accepted with so many apps. Usually some of these acceptances roll all the way through late March.

Agreed. I got into Mayo and I was surprised. I asked them why them considered my application and they said it was due to my heartfelt PS and really good LORs.
What dept. did you get accepted to and is it in MN?

Agreed. I got into Mayo and I was surprised. I asked them why them considered my application and they said it was due to my heartfelt PS and really good LORs.
What dept. did you get accepted to and is it in MN?

Biomed Eng. and Physiology ....Nephrology. You? Send me an email at [email protected]. I do not know how exactly I will go about the lodging.

Will do so, I am doing Neurobio of Disease. I was reading the email and I was thinking the 4th option (Commons) would seem nice (most medical students lodge there), but it is kind of pricey.

I have been reading this board for a while and would like to make a small interjection about personal stats and acceptance into these summer research programs.

To preface I would like to point out that I am not a underrepresented minority and have minimal research experience.

My GPA is pretty terrible, especially considering I am a pre-med student (3.34). I wasn't even sure if I should I apply to any of these programs due to there hyper competitive nature and the discouraging stories I have read (on SDN) about not getting in. However, I bit the bullet, begged professors for recommendation, and wrote a personal statement (mind you, this is easily the highlight of my application).

For the record I applied to: (If anyone knows when these programs make decisions please let me know!)

Kansas State REU
University of Cincinnati SURP for neuroscience
Penn State Medical School
South Carolina Med School
University of Vermont Neuroscience
Wayne State School of Medicine

As of now, I have already been accepted to Kansas State. Getting accepted was an incredible feeling, and i hope all of you get to experience this feeling soon. I would just like to say to everyone worrying that they are inferior that "stats are not everything." Yes they are important (and I wish mine were better), but if you can show a program passion, enthusiasm, and a strong desire to succeed they will consider you just as highly as a robotic 4.0 with 30 publications. It just a matter of finding a good fit and going for it.

I'm happy for you guys who are getting in! It's awesome.
I have yet to hear back from anyone. But I'm in the opposite boat - my stats are pretty good but my PS sucked. I found out about these programs close to the deadline, so bs'ed the essay. Honestly, though, they were probably as good as they would be if I hadn't. I just like doing research and I want to help people. I don't have a reason why. I just like figuring out how things work. To add insult to injury, I couldn't be very specific for my programs because I don't know what would be a good fit, only what would be a bad one. ehh. I'm hopeful.

gabadaba outtt.

Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley or MIT yet? I've been accepted to Rockefeller, but only have until the 1st to notify them of my decision (probably before I hear back from any of the other schools I applied to). Is it completely uncouth to see if Rockefeller will give me an extension?

Has anyone heard of Project:IMHOTEP for public health? It's a collaboration between Morehouse and the CDC. I have a phone interview tomorrow, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice.

What's the deal with Einstein?

I contacted them a few days ago hoping to get some indication about when decisions will likely come out, but they maintained that people will get acceptances between Feb and May. I was kind of hoping that they could tell me whether or not I'm still in the running but no such luck.

OMG... I'm not good enough for any of these programs! :scared:
When does one usually hear from Mt. Sinai SURP?

Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley or MIT yet? I've been accepted to Rockefeller, but only have until the 1st to notify them of my decision (probably before I hear back from any of the other schools I applied to). Is it completely uncouth to see if Rockefeller will give me an extension?

You already heard from Rockefeller? When did you hear? Also when did you submit your app?

Last edited:
You already heard from Rockefeller? When did you hear?

Last Thursday (2/23). Someone else on here also heard back, but apparently he/she has until late March to respond. I submitted my app late January (I don't remember the exact date), but my LOR weren't in until the day of the deadline.