Summer Research Internship or Shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nahggb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior, and I don't have many dentist shadowing hours on me (ZERO). I've been pretty involved in developmental bio and genetics research since freshman year, and I did an immersive summer research program at my home institution last summer. I was planning on doing a summer research program at a different institution (hopefully dental-related), but I'm having second thoughts of whether I should be doing research or shadowing. I'm hoping to shadow an office throughout next semester when I get back in January (hopefully 4 hours a week). Should I do another immersive research program for the summer or stay at my home institution and shadow the crap out of dentists?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely make sure to get your shadowing hours in. 100 hours is a good number not too hard to get to. I did about 60 hours general and about 40 hours specialty. As to what to do during the summer, do whatever you're passionate about. If that's research, do that. I don't think AdComs really care if your research is dental related or not. I did research for 3 years and it was not dental related. It might be possible to research and shadow at the same time too. You can also probably try to find dentists around the area near the other institution if you decide to go there to do it. Honestly, it might be easier for you to do research at your home institution if you don't want to call up new dentists to shadow. Not to mention if you can work on your old project in your old lab, it will probably be easier for for you to fit in applying/studying for DAT/shadowing/etc. Not sure if you've taken the DAT, so make sure you do that sometime in the summer too. Good luck!

I would do both. Anyone can shadow. Not everyone can participate in a stipend research fellowship/program. Rack up shadowing hours during winter and spring break.