Summer research stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mimelim

Vascular Surgery
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Putting together a proposal for allocation of more funding for pre-med and medical student stipends, but I am out of touch with what is typical these days. Let's say that it is a 8-12 week structured research fellowship. Expectations are that you will help with ongoing clinical/education research, attending biweekly department/research meetings. Open opportunities to shadow/spend time with the surgery service.

All of our current people are salaried, have outside funding or aren't paid, so any recent numbers you guys have would be great. If possible, please include the city you are in, as that helps a lot. If you don't feel comfortable with including the exact city, 'large expensive city' (NYC, Chicago, SF, DC) or equivalent will be just as helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Putting together a proposal for allocation of more funding for pre-med and medical student stipends, but I am out of touch with what is typical these days. Let's say that it is a 8-12 week structured research fellowship. Expectations are that you will help with ongoing clinical/education research, attending biweekly department/research meetings. Open opportunities to shadow/spend time with the surgery service.

All of our current people are salaried, have outside funding or aren't paid, so any recent numbers you guys have would be great. If possible, please include the city you are in, as that helps a lot. If you don't feel comfortable with including the exact city, 'large expensive city' (NYC, Chicago, SF, DC) or equivalent will be just as helpful.

Los Angeles, CA: $6,000 for 10 weeks; just checked my old program's website and the salary hasn't changed.

Edit: no housing included.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
$10-$12 per hour. Gainesville, FL (relatively small, inexpensive city). Hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
$11.15/hr at the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center (roughly $5,800 before taxes).

$3,000-$4,000 for a 10-week program through UNMC's undergraduate program in Omaha.

When I worked at NCI the NIH had a table that very clearly determined exactly what your stipend would be dependent on several factors like what year you are in school or if you are a post-bacc intern or have dependents and what not. I think school performance might have been one of the columns too but I am not sure. I could probably dig it out of my email somewhere if you can't find it online.

For 2 programs I applied for:
$3600 for 10-weeks (Wilmington, DE - Neumors / A.I. Dupont Hospital)
$3500 + housing stipend =?? for 10-weeks (Philadelphia, PA - Jeff)

Option at my school to do basic (non-clinical) research during the summer between years 1-2:
$4000 +free dorm housing for 10-weeks (Philadelphia, PA)

Summer research I did in industry for an analytical biochem group (non-clinical):
$17/hr, guaranteed 40hrs/wk at 10-14wks. (Wilmington, DE) - Again, they were for-profit, non-clincal, and admittedly paid well even for the DE valley (a location I'd argue is 2nd in the nation for chemistry, 1st being Big Pharma in NJ).

Yale awards $5,619 for their summer research scholarship. I'm assuming that's for the entire summer, can't say how many weeks (somewhere between 8-12? :shrug:). This is for New Haven though, which is a moderate CoL that is in no way comparable to NYC/SF/Boston.

I know of two currently at $5600 for 12 weeks, 40hr/week. Large but moderately-expensive East coast cities. On-campus dorm housing provided.

I did 10 weeks at a program in nyc for 4k. I think 4-5k should be fair and reasonable with a high likelihood of publication

$3300 + free housing, 10 weeks in rural Georgia (comfortable)
$2500, 10 weeks in upstate NY (rough to make ends meet)

Current NIH SIP stipend info is here

Members don't see this ad :)

UVA SRIP's around $4300 + Housing

That's important, whether you're paying for housing or not.

Downstate's 8-week summer research fellowship is $3,200 (edit - for medical students; not sure if you wanted data for both med & premed or only the latter).

In the South what I have seen is generally ~4k for 10 weeks, it might be higher in more expensive regions but I don't know anything about that.

If you work for a prestigious program you could probably get away with paying peanuts and pre-meds will still sacrifice a limb to work at your program though

Reactions: 1 users
NIH-SIP does not support housing but gives a fixed price of ~$2.000 per month but they do give a max of $240 (I think) per month into your SmartTrip card (public transit).
Finding housing isn't too bad if you're in a big city because if you go to school facebook groups or craigslist you'll find summer sublets from students for a reduced price.

I looked around and it seems like the average rate is about ~14/hour for expection of 40-45hours/week for 8-12weeks.

also, your program sounds awesome; opportunity to shadow physicians while getting hands on research!?!? Are you a wizard?!

I think 8 weeks is typically about 4000-5000 now in a large metropolitan city.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Will likely go with ~$400-500/week * 6-12 weeks.
You forgot the most important part, cafeteria discounts! Equivalent to whatever employees receive.

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Will likely go with ~$400-500/week * 6-12 weeks.

Yeah, I think 2-2.5k a month is pretty reasonable. I could live off that pretty comfortably in beantown area, even if you budget like 7-800 for rent a month.

Yeah, I think 2-2.5k a month is pretty reasonable. I could live off that pretty comfortably in beantown area, even if you budget like 7-800 for rent a month.

In theory...

I expect every student to write a case report. They either write something that they saw themselves, or they go over the video/flouro/op reports of something that we have done recently. The expectation is that they will do 100% of the writing and either I or one of the other mid level residents will help them understand what they are reviewing and help edit for content. Then we expect them to present the case at the departmental conference to get feedback from the faculty (also good face time for them in front of all the faculty). Case reports are ~1000 words, it would take me an afternoon to write it myself. My 'case report log' has ~35 cases on it right now. I don't have the energy to write more case reports. It just isn't worth it, so when clinical residents or students want something to put out, there it is. That case report is that student's project. It is theirs and nobody else's. It allows them to write, edit, think about what journals are looking for and go through the critiquing process as well as learn a little bit of medicine. The expectation is that they will do most of the work on it on their own time and that time with us will be spent either helping them with it or doing other stuff.

The other stuff... Retrospective data analysis gives weak results. You can't say anything definitive, but it can lay the frame work for prospective work. We are extremely busy. We do ~3000 operations a year. I have spent a lot of time along with another of our residents to build infrastructure in our electronic medical records so that we can generate very large datasets quickly. This allows us to say, "I want to study XYZ operation." and within 30 minutes we can have an excel sheet with patient name, DOB, medical record number, phone number, SSN, DOB, race, gender AND their commodities (35 different things, HTN, DM, HLD, CAD etc) tabulated. Once you have that, the rest of the data collection gets harder, it requires reading operative notes, looking at follow up notes, reading ultrasounds/CTs etc, but if I have lets say a 30 patient group that I need to look at, it will take me roughly 8-10 hours before my entire dataset is complete. Then you need to actually analyze and do stats. And then write. I expect our students to get their hands on this. They can do the data collection with some guidance, but need to learn a bit of medicine to be able to actually do it well. They learn how to collect data, how to do basic stats, how to do basic analysis and then writing. If they are involved in the project in a meaningful way, they should expect to be an author on the paper. If they came up with the idea for the project, they should expect to be first author.

We have a crap load of ongoing clinical trials, prospective studies, industry studies, animal models, device design, etc going on as well. If they have time and/or interest, they are more than welcome to get involved with that stuff, but that is much longer term and certainly publication in that is luck of the draw.

Publication venue ranges from our institution publication to JVS.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...during-summer-after-m1.1116660/#post-16195824

We do a pretty good job attracting the students that we want, but I honestly feel like students always work harder if they are getting paid, even if it isn't a ton. I also think it is silly that we have the resources and don't use it. Hence the setting these up.

Reactions: 2 users
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...during-summer-after-m1.1116660/#post-16195824

We do a pretty good job attracting the students that we want, but I honestly feel like students always work harder if they are getting paid, even if it isn't a ton. I also think it is silly that we have the resources and don't use it. Hence the setting these up.

I think the other thing is that you attract students that are smart but wouldn't be able to do the work since they wouldn't otherwise be able to afford it. I know I couldn't do anything unpaid over the summers ever unless I got grant funding just because my family can't prop me up no matter how badly my parents want to. The money just isn't there and I'd rather they spend it on my sister in college anyway.

And yeah, I think you can get a lot done in 2-3 months, but that mostly depends on the infrastructure. We have a lot of students come through my department to do 3 month research rotations. Most of them get atleast 1 first author and a few others. They have a main project and assist with the research data collection for other ones as well. If you have a good infrastructure set up, you can do a lot pretty quickly. The hardest part is getting together a system to get a reasonable list of patients. Chart reviews take time no matter what.

The hospital system I work for has a good research registry in place, but getting data takes a long time. Some people in my department run a registry. I run a couple of registries for quality of life and surgical procedures. If I wanted to find the last 100 patients that had long fusions for scoliosis, it would take me about 30 minutes to get that data together as well as cross reference MRN's to see if we had QoL for those patients. The chart reviews would take a much longer time, but capturing patients is often the rate limiting step. Anyone can do chart reviews...

Glad that you're doing this!

Yale awards $5,619 for their summer research scholarship. I'm assuming that's for the entire summer, can't say how many weeks (somewhere between 8-12? :shrug:). This is for New Haven though, which is a moderate CoL that is in no way comparable to NYC/SF/Boston.

Hmm I got $4300 for a 10 week summer last year but this may be for a different scholarship (I'm an undergrad)

And it's worth noting that rent in New Haven is very cheap.