Summer term start programs - Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gymnastau

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to what other people know about financial aid for programs beginning in the summer. A friend who went through medical school awhile ago had warned me that dealing with financial aid in summer and spring start programs can be a little tricky.
I was accepted into a program that begins in the beginning of the summer. I've been trying to stay ahead of things from the day I received my acceptance. I had my FAFSA completed very early as well as supplemental forms the financial aid office sent after I asked what I could do next. I've continued to ask when we would receive updates and followed up on everything they asked of me.
Today I was told that I will need to fill out a summer term financial aid form (strange they didn't give me this every other time I asked) and that financial aid is disbursed only 10 days before the summer term begins. Yet the due date for the tuition bill is more than 2 weeks before the programs begins.

So I'm curious if this is normal for programs with summer starts? I'm assuming this may be the tricky part my friend warned me about. If so I am guessing you simply have to come up with the $$$ to pay the summer term bill and housing before the financial aid comes in?

I asked financial aid a few questions about this but they haven't responded yet. Curious as to what all of you who have been admitted have experienced thus far or previously with programs. Hoping to stay knowledgeable and on top of things. Thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

YES! That is what I am just starting to tackle! I didn't realize it'd be such a pain! :/ I wish I had some advice or tips but I have just begun to look into it.