Summer Veterinary Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmstroup

Illinois '19
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Regardless of whether I get into vet school or not this cycle, I want to participate in a pre-vet program this summer. The past two summers, I have gone on ISV pre-vet trips to South Africa with a vet from UGA. Of course, money permitting, I would do this trip again. But it's expensive and I'm not sure if I can afford a third trip.

I recently heard about a program called R-VETS (http://www.r-vets.org) and I'm definitely considering applying for a position on one of their equine volunteer teams for the summer. I was hoping someone on SDN would know more about this program and if it's a good experience or not. Also, I was hoping people could suggest similar programs that are not too expensive.

My veterinary interests are primary focused on wildlife conservation and zoo medicine, but I also grew up in a dairy environment and I love gaining experience in food animal and equine medicine, so I'm mostly looking for programs involved in these veterinary fields. I'm not against programs focused on small animal medicine, but it's not particularly my preference.

Thanks for any help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.junglefriends.org/about/internships/
Jungle Friends is an amazing primate sanctuary in Gainesville that has 3+ month long internships. Usually they are for caregiver positions but sometimes they will have a more medically-specialized one open up. They provide housing :D

Many zoos and aquariums offer undergraduate student summer positions. I would suggest plugging related search terms and your location into Google, or simply browsing around your local/nearby zoo or aquarium's website to see what they offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a summer internship a big cat rescue in Tampa which I really enjoyed. It's primarily husbandry, but it was still a fun experience and they provide free housing as well.

Reactions: 1 users
I did a summer internship a big cat rescue in Tampa which I really enjoyed. It's primarily husbandry, but it was still a fun experience and they provide free housing as well.

I've heard of that! :)

I've heard of that! :)

Definitely be prepared to work hard if you go, but I had an awesome group of interns that I interned with, so it was always just so much fun. They require you to do 3 months, and they stagger start dates. I think it's changed a bit since I was there (there seems to be far more interns these days, which is good since it means you'll probably get more time off) but it was a great experience! Feel free to PM if me if you have any questions about it and I can try to answer them. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I don't know if this is the best place to post or not. I was unable to find a thread for it. I have decided to apply to UPenn's Summer VETS program and was wondering if anyone has gone through it and could give me opinions and/or more information. Thanks!