Summer Volunteer Essay Question Help!!!

JPodel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to complete an essay regarding the following questions:

1. There are many places you could of volunteered; why have you chosen Dignity Health?

2. What can you bring to the Dignity Health Easy Valley Volunteen Program that makes you stand out more than other applicants?

Yes, it is spelled Volunteen. For the first one, I have no clue what to write about! The second one, I can manage but still help me out!!!! THANKS GUYS:)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what are the compelling reasons you're choosing to volunteer at this place? I assume you want to be a physician, so that would be a reason, hopefully you want to help people, learn something, etc... All good reasons

What is special about you? What makes you different from anyone else? Determination? Attitude? Life experiences?

Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
Bump bump bump! Thanks

Cmon guys!!!! I need help asap. Its due sooooooon! Thx

Proofreading! Yesss. :D I'll put my comments/revisions in purple. The overall content is pretty good, you just need some polishing. I feel it's also fair to warn you that I tend to be a nit-picky proofreader, but I promise I nit-pick out of love. :)

Summer Volunteen Application Essay

1. There are many reasons as to why I chose the Volunteen program at Dignity Health. (Maybe see if you can come up with a more engaging first sentence. The opening line is crucial and should grab the attention of the reader.) I have spoken with friends who have previously attended this program, and they described it as (verb tense agreement) a very stimulating program that enables future health care professionals (maybe change this to "students interested in health care" or something of that sort) to give back to their community. I am thoroughly motivated to help out our community while deepening my knowledge of how health care works. My commitment to helping out other can be greatly strengthened with my involvement in this program. (awkward wording, rephrase these two sentences.) I have been seeking a summer program that would allow me to volunteer in a hospital and do just that. Until now, I have been largely unsuccessful as most programs have an age requirement of 16. However, at Dignity Health, I will be able to volunteer at a hospital as a 15 year old, learn about the world of healthcare, and give back at the same time. These things are what drew me to Dignity Health, and I hope to be able to pursue these goals by taking part in this program.

2. In contrast to many other applicants, I have significant amounts of leadership, motivation, and responsibility. (same thing here, try to be a little more engaging with your opening line. Don't be afraid to be creative. :) ) As the vice-president for Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) at my school, I have been engaged in many community service projects that have strengthened my leadership skills. As vice-president, I am in charge of all club related events that occur at our school. I take pride in my work, and help manage events that benefit our community or school. In addition to this, I recently attended a National Student Leadership Conference here in the valley, designed for motivated club officers who want to contribute to the growing industry of health care. By having experience in leadership and managing successful events, I have unique skills that will be beneficial to Dignity Health. I also believe that my determined motivation towards medicine will make me an outstanding applicant (you can mention this, but there are many others that have an interest in medicine, so it doesn't really make you unique per say. I would tweak this statement.). Being a part of HOSA has been an obligation and all of my work was done with passion and desire (? I don't understand this sentence, rewrite it.). I did not become involved in that student organization solely for the benefits, I made a commitment to helping others and want to continue to do so through the medical field. My superior work ethics, fueled by my motivation, will unquestionably be advantageous to both Dignity Health and myself ("and myself" isn't necessary, as the prompt focuses on how it will benefit Dignity Health and not necessarily you as a person. Also, this was the first time you mentioned your work ethic, maybe work that in one of the previous sentences somewhere.). Another useful characteristic that I have is responsibility. As one of the trailblazers for most of our projects, there have been times where I have had enormous amounts of responsibilities on my hands. This has greatly polished my ability to withstand a lot of liability. (a transition sentence of some sort would be good here, you change thoughts kind of abruptly) All of these characteristics that have made me who I am today will be beneficial to Dignity Health because it means that they will be working with a volunteer who is highly interested in health care, and willing to take on responsibility and leadership roles.

Hope that helps some! Good luck to you. Also, in the future be careful about posting application essays online... people may try to take them and present them as their own. :scared: Let me know if you have any questions about any of my comments. :thumbup:

^ You are awesome. Thank you VERY MUCH! I can't explain how thankful I am:) I will add you to my contacts so maybe if I have important essays later on, you can possibily proofread them for me!!!!!! :) Thanks!!!!

This is the revised portion for #1. Can you please read this one and let me know how it is?

There are numerous reasons as to why I chose the Volunteen program at Dignity Health over others. I have spoken with friends who have previously attended this program, and they described it as a very stimulating program that enables future health care professionals to give back to their community. Being highly committed to helping out our community and deepening my knowledge in health care, being a part of this particular program would be significantly gratifying. I have been seeking a summer program that would allow me to volunteer in a hospital and do just that. Until now, I have been largely unsuccessful as most programs have an age requirement of 16. However, at Dignity Health, I will be able to volunteer at a hospital as a 15 year old, learn about the world of healthcare, and give back at the same time. These things are what drew me to Dignity Health, and I hope to be able to pursue these goals by taking part in this program.

This is the revised part for #2.

In distinction to many other applicants, I have substantial amounts of leadership, motivation, and responsibility. As the vice-president for Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) at my school, I have been engaged in many community service projects that have strengthened my leadership skills. As vice-president, I am in charge of all club related events that occur at our school. I take pride in my work, and help manage events that benefit our community or school. In addition to this, I recently attended a National Student Leadership Conference here in the valley, designed for motivated club officers who want to contribute to the growing industry of health care. By having experience in leadership and managing successful events, I have unique skills that will be beneficial to Dignity Health. Furthermore, my determined motivation towards medicine will help me practice these skills with passion. Being a part of HOSA has not only taught me essential skills needed to be successful; it has taught me how to apply these abilities to help better the world around me while maintaining an optimistic work ethic. I did not become involved in that student organization solely for the benefits; I have made a commitment to helping others and want to continue to do so through the medical field. My superior work ethics, fueled by my motivation, will unquestionably be advantageous to Dignity Health. Another valuable characteristic that I have is responsibility. As one of the trailblazers for most of our projects, there have been times where I have had enormous amounts of responsibilities on my hands. This has greatly polished my ability to withstand a lot of liability. As a volunteer, I would be applying these skills with a constructive mindset, hoping to enhance the community that I am a part of, while learning lots of pertaining information that will be beneficial to me as a future health care professional. All of these characteristics that have made me who I am today will be beneficial to Dignity Health because it means that they will be working with a volunteer who is highly interested in health care, and willing to take on responsibility and leadership roles.

I think they are fine. As was previously stated, watch what you post online. It is better to email/PM a person you trust. FYI, sorry, I went on vacation and just returned!