summer work + mcat prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hedgehog1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to this site, been looking around, and I can't find a thread that really addresses my question...so here goes...

I am planning to take the MCAT at the end of this upcoming summer. I don't feel like I have good mastery of the material, and I think I will need to put in more than average study hours. So...I was wondering if I should do nothing but study this summer. Does it look bad to do nothing but prep for your MCAT for a whole summer?

I was actually planning on getting part-time work to make a bit of money, but nothing serious or time consuming. Is this a good plan? I am wondering what people who spend a summer studying for the MCAT typically do in terms of work, internships, volunteering, etc. (if anything).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! Very helpful. I guess the trade off between work and a better MCAT score is worth it.

I was in your situation this past summer, and I decided to take summer class as well as work near full time in my lab - bad decision.

I know many people work and study, but honestly, know your limits now and make a schedule that you can stick to because it's just that easy to put off studying because of other obligations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, was that class an MCAT class or another one? If it's another class, bravo to you haha, I could not pull that off.

Right now my plan is to take a Kaplan class over the summer and get some part time (pretty minimal) work for some cash...

Yeah...it all depends on what you're able to handle and how comfortable you are with the material the begin with. I would say that it's probably better to err on the side of setting aside more time to study and not over-commit yourself to other things. I worked full-time in a lab while studying for my MCATs and did well, but my social life took a bit of a beating.

Wow, was that class an MCAT class or another one? If it's another class, bravo to you haha, I could not pull that off.

Right now my plan is to take a Kaplan class over the summer and get some part time (pretty minimal) work for some cash...

I took 2 classes and worked roughly 30 hrs a week in lab under a summer scholarship. I didn't get much mcat studying done, but at least I made some money :oops:

I took an entire summer off to study for the mcat. I quit work for the summer and studied my butt off for two and a half months. I wasn't making any money, so it was difficult to join my friends on any social events - like movies or going out to eat. Luckily, I live @ home w/ my family, so I wasn't forced to work in order to pay rent or bills. If you're blessed with a similar opportunity, take advantage of it & just focus on studying for the mcat. That thing is a beast, and if you can manage to only have to take it once, then do so, even if it means giving up a cash flow or some social outings.