SUNY at Stony Brook or Downstate.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usmlematch

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stony Brook or SUNY Downstate..Which one is better, slightly confused deciding between both of them. And if you could please let me know if Univ of Connecticut is better than both of them. Thanks and regards.

Members don't see this ad.

well its really tough cos both are good programs. SUNY downstate is in a bad location, hardly takes any imgs these days but you get a wealth of experience there(unparelelled) and some good fellowship opportunities.

Stony Brook has around 70% IMGs, good fellowship opportunities.

Infact I have the same dilemma and welcome anymore inquiries regarding this.

Thank you excellence.

Guys any more opinions are appreciated. Its really tough chosing between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
well its really tough cos both are good programs. SUNY downstate is in a bad location, hardly takes any imgs these days but you get a wealth of experience there(unparelelled) and some good fellowship opportunities.

Stony Brook has around 70% IMGs, good fellowship opportunities.

Infact I have the same dilemma and welcome anymore inquiries regarding this.

Until 2006...SUNY Downstate had 70% IMGs as well. Once Conrad F. got there he has started taking downstate med. students in his program (80%) and the remaining are from caribbean schools (Ross & St. George's).

Both offer fellowships....downstate is a bigger and more well known program.

What I've heard about downstate is that the scut there is horrendous (pushing patients to imaging, placing IVs, drawing blood cultures etc.) Fischer is a great guy, and is supposed to have made some changes since that time, but I don't know if that's happened or not. You might also want some guarantee that he wouldn't be leaving anytime soon, as he's been bouncing around between NY programs for quite some time.

-The Trifling Jester

What I've heard about downstate is that the scut there is horrendous (pushing patients to imaging, placing IVs, drawing blood cultures etc.) Fischer is a great guy, and is supposed to have made some changes since that time, but I don't know if that's happened or not. You might also want some guarantee that he wouldn't be leaving anytime soon, as he's been bouncing around between NY programs for quite some time.

-The Trifling Jester

I have heard rumors that he (C.Fischer) will be bouncing soon.....

I have heard rumors that he (C.Fischer) will be bouncing soon.....

I have heard similar rumors (from former classmates of mine at Downstate who are there for residency) that he will be gone next year. Not a surprise. His usual tenure at any one place is ~3 yrs. I had a love-hate relationship w/ him. Too insane for my tastes but he really turned things around there and made it a far less painful place to be a resident and a med student. Hopefully the +ve changes he put in place will remain next year and beyond.

I have heard similar rumors (from former classmates of mine at Downstate who are there for residency) that he will be gone next year. Not a surprise. His usual tenure at any one place is ~3 yrs. I had a love-hate relationship w/ him. Too insane for my tastes but he really turned things around there and made it a far less painful place to be a resident and a med student. Hopefully the +ve changes he put in place will remain next year and beyond.

As with you he has love-hate relationships with programs as well. As we all know he is very upfront and honest, he loves making positive changes wherever he is....

His base is in NY...so i anticipate him bouncing to another program in NY...possibly in the city this time, close to his other job "Kaplan"

As with you he has love-hate relationships with programs as well. As we all know he is very upfront and honest, he loves making positive changes wherever he is....

And it takes an average of 3 years before he pisses off enough people to get the "resign or be fired" talk and away he goes. That said, he was overall a tremendously positive force for IM and residents/students in general at Downstate and I hope the changes he made persist after he leaves.