SUNY Buffalo vs SUNY Upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willow18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both Buffalo and Upstate seemed to have friendly students, faculty and staff. The RMED program at Upstate appeals to me somewhat...anybody have any experience with that? On the other hand, Buffalo's curriculum, with class hours only 8-12 seems nice.

The city of Buffalo vs. city of Syracuse, any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

willow18 said:
Both Buffalo and Upstate seemed to have friendly students, faculty and staff. The RMED program at Upstate appeals to me somewhat...anybody have any experience with that? On the other hand, Buffalo's curriculum, with class hours only 8-12 seems nice.

The city of Buffalo vs. city of Syracuse, any comments?

I'm a little biased because I grew up in Buffalo, but I would have chosen UB based on the schools themselves without even factoring in location. Especially after Second Look day, I love the systems-based approach. I love how much exposure I'm going to get my first 2 yeas in Clinical Practice of Medicine, and, yes, Upstate has its own hospital, but I like that I'm going to have the opportunity to work in a variety of settings before I finish my medical education goes. As far as the cities go, I didn't see a lot of Syracuse outside of the area of the campus when I visited Upstate. Buffalo has so many great neighborhoods, and I'm a bit of the artsy type, and I keep kinding more places to go and things to see. Oh, and the food is phenomenal. PM me with any Qs about Buffalo...

SwineLake98 said:
I'm a little biased because I grew up in Buffalo, but I would have chosen UB based on the schools themselves without even factoring in location. Especially after Second Look day, I love the systems-based approach. I love how much exposure I'm going to get my first 2 yeas in Clinical Practice of Medicine, and, yes, Upstate has its own hospital, but I like that I'm going to have the opportunity to work in a variety of settings before I finish my medical education goes. As far as the cities go, I didn't see a lot of Syracuse outside of the area of the campus when I visited Upstate. Buffalo has so many great neighborhoods, and I'm a bit of the artsy type, and I keep kinding more places to go and things to see. Oh, and the food is phenomenal. PM me with any Qs about Buffalo...

SUNY Upstate has systems-based approach as well, and a variety of clinical settings. The proximity to Syracuse University benefits the students in terms of "things to do" in the area - there are restaurants, cafes, shopping places, etc practically on campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know if this necessarily changes your opinion of Upstate but the systems based approach doesn't start until the last 3rd of the first year. Before that, it's one course at a time and largely topic based rather than systems based. All of second year is systems based, though.

Bump. Any comments from current/former students?