Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate 2015 MOT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations @maaz1 !!!!! That's so awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

:nailbiting: mine still just says "interview scheduled" and my interview was that last weekend in January . I'm stressing out and thinking that I did so bad, my application is not even going to be sent to another faculty for review! :(:(

Anyone else interview already? Has your status update?

Thanks for the reply! Congrats again!
My stats where 3.9 pre-req GPA, I believe 3.7 - general. I did over 180 volunteer hours in 2 settings (in-patient & outpatient). My advice to you is to apply early, I knew applying early was important but I still somehow ended up submitting my application a week before due date. Especially for OTCAS, applying early will save you from several headaches because there's a verification process (4 weeks) that they don't even tell you beforehand which was incredibly frustrating.

Diversified observation sites > observation hours

Downstate is big on leadership illustrated in school clubs, organizations, etc. Join a few organizations & work to build them and others.

Everything else is obvious: get good grades, finish pre-reqs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my acceptance email earlier today, I interviewed sometime around the last week of January to give you guys some perspective. I'm stoked. I believe Downstate really values diversity (which I love about them) so try to highlight things about you that are unique and be honest during the interview. Good luck to you all, see some of you this Summer. ;)

To those accepted, let's try to create a forum together so we can use it as a medium for helpful advice/information/reminders/etc. Graduate school won't be a breeze, and I feel we'll benefit from each other.

Make a facebook group.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I just thought I would add to the conversation.

I interviewed with an alum at downstate on 1/24/15. I have not heard anything since. My status still says "interview scheduled". @otapplicant2015 , I am really hoping for the both of us that our status just means they haven't gotten around to us yet. I feel like I connected well with my interviewer. She gave me a few enthusiastic "Yes!" responses to my questions and kept saying "when you are in the program" instead of "if you get into the program", but I know she does not have any say in the final decision. I think I did a decent job of concisely summarizing the article, but I felt very rushed.

I keep in contact with a few of the ladies I volunteered with that also had interviews and none of them have heard anything yet, either. Maaz1 on this forum is the only applicant I have heard of that has been accepted.

Best of luck to everyone!

I have my interview this week with Suzanne White. Anyone have any tips and/or want to share questions your were asked in your interview? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :)

Hi! I just thought I would add to the conversation.

I interviewed with an alum at downstate on 1/24/15. I have not heard anything since. My status still says "interview scheduled". @otapplicant2015 , I am really hoping for the both of us that our status just means they haven't gotten around to us yet. I feel like I connected well with my interviewer. She gave me a few enthusiastic "Yes!" responses to my questions and kept saying "when you are in the program" instead of "if you get into the program", but I know she does not have any say in the final decision. I think I did a decent job of concisely summarizing the article, but I felt very rushed.

I keep in contact with a few of the ladies I volunteered with that also had interviews and none of them have heard anything yet, either. Maaz1 on this forum is the only applicant I have heard of that has been accepted.

Best of luck to everyone!

Ok that makes me feel a lot better! lol, who did you interview with?

I hope so too, really sending out all the positive energy into the world for all of us!

I have my interview this week with Suzanne White. Anyone have any tips and/or want to share questions your were asked in your interview? I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :)

Some of the questions I was asked:

"Describe a situation where you had to take on a leadership position/ what qualities about yourself (or others in general) do you think make a good leader?"

"What are the most difficult challenges in the field?" (which kind of stumped me for a bit because I didn't want to say something wrong)

"Why OT vs another field"

Also some kind of open ended questions about yourself. I was also asked if I could merge OT with another field what would I combine it with. Which I've never been asked before, but a good question.

The article section, don't feel rushed. The questions has parts so just read the question and look for the answers while reading the article. It's a summary. Doesn't have to be super detailed, just answer the questions.

But, just be prepared, it's ok to be nervous, take your time answering back, and just speak from an honest place!

Some of the questions I was asked:

"Describe a situation where you had to take on a leadership position/ what qualities about yourself (or others in general) do you think make a good leader?"

"What are the most difficult challenges in the field?" (which kind of stumped me for a bit because I didn't want to say something wrong)

"Why OT vs another field"

Also some kind of open ended questions about yourself. I was also asked if I could merge OT with another field what would I combine it with. Which I've never been asked before, but a good question.

The article section, don't feel rushed. The questions has parts so just read the question and look for the answers while reading the article. It's a summary. Doesn't have to be super detailed, just answer the questions.

But, just be prepared, it's ok to be nervous, take your time answering back, and just speak from an honest place!

Wow thank you so much! I really appreciate you sharing this! I'm sure you did great! :)

Hey! I was interviewed on Saturday Jan 24th and still haven't heard back yet. I checked my status online and it still says "Interview scheduled." I see that some of you were interviewed the same day. Have you guys heard back yet?

Hi Everyone! I recently interviewed and my status says Faculty Screener 1. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks!

Hey guys! I just want to update you on my application status. I was accepted into the program! I received an email today. My applyyourself screen went from "facultysceener4" to "FILE RETURN TO ADMISSIONS AFTER COMM. REV." Four days later my admissions checklist was then updated to display "accepted/alternate list" and a long list of required materials. Finally, three days later I received the acceptance email.

I'm ecstatic! Downstate is my first choice. Best of luck to everyone!!!! To those that were accepted see you in the summer!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi Everyone! I recently interviewed and my status says Faculty Screener 1. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks!
When was your interview? I'm curious because I was interviewed on Jan 24th and mine still says "interview scheduled" :( i'm hoping this just means that they haven't gotten to my application yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, my interview was on Feb 18th! I am not sure what these statuses really mean but let's hope for the best :) did you ask your interviewer when you should expect to hear by? I didnt bc it just slipped my mind! Good luck to you!! :)

Hey, my interview was on Feb 18th! I am not sure what these statuses really mean but let's hope for the best :) did you ask your interviewer when you should expect to hear by? I didnt bc it just slipped my mind! Good luck to you!! :)

Unfortunately, I didn't ask either! Just called them and they said they are sending out decision letters by March 15th. Good luck!

Thanks! thanks for the info too about when theyll be sending decision letters :)

I had my interview with Richard Sabel today and he said I'd hear back April 1st the latest

How did it go?!

I think it went great! Thanks for asking! Last minute, my interviewer Suzanne White couldn't stay for it so Richard Sabel interviewed me instead. He's so nice!! :) Who did you interview with?

I think it went great! Thanks for asking! Last minute, my interviewer Suzanne White couldn't stay for it so Richard Sabel interviewed me instead. He's so nice!! :) Who did you interview with?

I interviewed with an alumni. Has your status changed at all on the apply website?

I received my acceptance email earlier today, I interviewed sometime around the last week of January to give you guys some perspective. I'm stoked. I believe Downstate really values diversity (which I love about them) so try to highlight things about you that are unique and be honest during the interview. Good luck to you all, see some of you this Summer. ;)

To those accepted, let's try to create a forum together so we can use it as a medium for helpful advice/information/reminders/etc. Graduate school won't be a breeze, and I feel we'll benefit from each other.

I'm so happy for you!!! Was this your first time applying?

I'm so happy for you!!! Was this your first time applying?
Thanks! Yes, first time applying. I ended up going back to school to take extra prereqs (spent a lot of money) so I'm glad it all paid off.

I was well prepared to apply for the next cycle if I didn't get in, so I encourage those who didn't get in the first time to try again!

Thanks! Yes, first time applying. I ended up going back to school to take extra prereqs (spent a lot of money) so I'm glad it all paid off.

I was well prepared to apply for the next cycle if I didn't get in, so I encourage those who didn't get in the first time to try again!

Awesome! Thanks!

congratulations to those who were accepted! :)

Has anyone's status changed from faculty screener to something else yet?

Did anyone interview with Dr. Elenko?

Anyone else's status still says "Interview Scheduled?" My status hasn't changed since the interview, which was in January. :(

I'm still on "Interview Scheduled" which does not make me feel hopeful at all, but still....fingers crossed!! Anyone else have any updates?

I had an interview, but its still on faculty screener 6.

It was faulty screener 6 before my interview and has remained that even after my interview.

I didnt check it prior to the interview unfortunately

congratulations to those who were accepted! :)

Has anyone's status changed from faculty screener to something else yet?

Did anyone interview with Dr. Elenko?

Hi,

I also interviewed with Dr. Elenko, on 12/19 (2nd time applicant).
My status still says "faculty screener 1," too.

Gl to us all!

Reactions: 1 users
I called in today, they told me they are currently making decisions and will be done by the end of April.....!!!!! :arghh:

I'm hoping they tell us before then. That's so last minute if the program begins in June.

Reactions: 2 users
My status now says "File Return to Admissions after Comm. Rev." and Dr. Desport asked for a scanned copy of my CPR certification. I'm hoping these are good signs! :)

My status now says "File Return to Admissions after Comm. Rev." and Dr. Desport asked for a scanned copy of my CPR certification. I'm hoping these are good signs! :)

Hi. do you mind sharing your stats?

Pre-req GPA? overall GPA? Hours of volunteer and where did you volunteer? extra curriculars?

I am still waiting for my decision and i wanna see how i compare to u.

Thanks!

Pre-req GPA: 3.70
Overall GPA: 3.75
# of Vol. Hours: 210
Extracurricular: Behavior Asst., 1:1 Aide for Special Needs Preschool, Treasurer of Psych Club, 3 Honor Societies, & Pre-OT Club

Pre-req GPA: 3.70
Overall GPA: 3.75
# of Vol. Hours: 210
Extracurricular: Behavior Asst., 1:1 Aide for Special Needs Preschool, Treasurer of Psych Club, 3 Honor Societies, & Pre-OT Club

Impressive!

My gpa is 3.9 pre req is also 3.9
i have 205 hours volunteer
i dont have much extracurricular just one honor society, conducted my own research (won a grant for it as well and presented it in a research conference) i occasionally volunteer at a senior center, and now part of board of trustees for an organization (but i was offered the position 2 days before my interview)

My status still did not change. I do not think i am getting in, Its really frustrating.

Impressive!

My gpa is 3.9 pre req is also 3.9
i have 205 hours volunteer
i dont have much extracurricular just one honor society, conducted my own research (won a grant for it as well and presented it in a research conference) i occasionally volunteer at a senior center, and now part of board of trustees for an organization (but i was offered the position 2 days before my interview)

My status still did not change. I do not think i am getting in, Its really frustrating.

Wow that's all very impressive! I think you have a great chance of getting in! I'm not sure I got in yet. Be hopeful! :)

Accepted to Downstate on 2/4 but I declined my acceptance without paying the deposit. Hope it will give someone a chance to get in!

Accepted to Downstate on 2/4 but I declined my acceptance without paying the deposit. Hope it will give someone a chance to get in!

Congrats anyway!

I interviewed 1/16 still did not hear a thing!!!

Mind sharing your stats as well? GPAs and extracurriculars?

Hey guys! I just want to update you on my application status. I was accepted into the program! I received an email today. My applyyourself screen went from "facultysceener4" to "FILE RETURN TO ADMISSIONS AFTER COMM. REV." Four days later my admissions checklist was then updated to display "accepted/alternate list" and a long list of required materials. Finally, three days later I received the acceptance email.

I'm ecstatic! Downstate is my first choice. Best of luck to everyone!!!! To those that were accepted see you in the summer!

This is what my admissions checklist says. Did you get this before you got your acceptance letter? :)

accepted:alt list.jpg

If you see the deposit section and acceptance response form, it means you are accepted :) (mine looks almost same). Congrats!!!

EEEEKKKK!!! Thank you so much!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users