SUNY Downstate anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Star2285

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a current resident comment on this program? I know there is a new program director. How is the schedule? +\- of the program? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Seemed like they went out of their way to shoot down negative rumors on interview day and even more so during the dinner. Repeatedly stressed that work hours were reasonable (55-65 hrs aside from ICU is what I wrote down) with the main problem being travel to many different sites. But I only really got to talk to 2 residents, wish I could have heard from more. There were 1 or 2 others who came for lunch but they kind of did the grab'n'go without talking to anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seemed like they went out of their way to shoot down negative rumors on interview day and even more so during the dinner. Repeatedly stressed that work hours were reasonable (55-65 hrs aside from ICU is what I wrote down) with the main problem being travel to many different sites. But I only really got to talk to 2 residents, wish I could have heard from more. There were 1 or 2 others who came for lunch but they kind of did the grab'n'go without talking to anyone.

Second that on negative rumors. It was addressed at dinner and on the resident guided tour. The resident that took us on the tour actually sat my group down and discussed the comments at great length. For what it's worth, that faculty is still part of the program, just in another role. How the issues were addressed sounded reasonable to me.

Hour wise seemed fair as Koan mentioned aside from ICU.

I really did like speaking with the residents at the program and found all of them very nice and engaging. A bunch of them showed up at various times throughout the day, and there were quiet a lot during lunch.

For me, NYC is the biggest negative. I know I'm going to get stoned for that comment, but living in NYC is completely unappealing to me, but everyone has their own preferences.

Thanks, Koan and Destroyr. It's been a while since I interviewed there and couldn't remember some of the details, but I think you're both dead on. As for NYC, I think some people love it some people hate it. But same goes for west coast, midwest, south, etc. Thanks again :)

Can a current resident comment on this program? I know there is a new program director. How is the schedule? +\- of the program? Thanks.

not a resident but their hours are very good, comparable to NYU (mid 50s for anesthesia). I have heard from several residents that their PGY1 year is on the chill side, since its categorical and its developed by the anesthesia department. Overall residents are nice, salary is good, housing in the area is much cheaper than manhattan. The new program director isn't an issue. He's a nice guy. Old program director still there and is still involved.

Negatives include old facilities, unionized nurses, and commuting all over Brooklyn... and I think even staten island for some cardiac

Do the attendings give the residents a hard time a lot? Do they put a lot of people on probation? What is the atmosphere there on a daily basis? Thanks.

Do the attendings give the residents a hard time a lot? Do they put a lot of people on probation? What is the atmosphere there on a daily basis? Thanks.

Most of the attendings are just fine. Some like to push you more than others which is great imo. You need to think quickly if you want to succeed in anesthesia. Others basically just leave you alone in your room. A lot like to show you different techniques and styles and I basically just pick and choose what I like.

They don't seem to put a lot of people on probation from what I've seen but people have been dismissed. As long as you're a responsible adult you'll be fine. Don't start ****, be dependable and study at least a little bit and you'll make it.

I think the overall atmosphere is pretty positive. All the residents seems to get along pretty well. New PD makes changes when residents really feel strongly about something like bringing back the post post call day for ICU rotation. Hearing positives about Cardiac on Statin Island from Seniors. Most of us went out for drinks after the ITE on Saturday. We had a regional workshop tonight too that went over upper/lower extremity blocks using a couple volunteers with subs and soda.

NYC is tough but if you keep your chin up you'll make it out and can be confident you can practice anywhere.

Most of the attendings are just fine. Some like to push you more than others which is great imo. You need to think quickly if you want to succeed in anesthesia. Others basically just leave you alone in your room. A lot like to show you different techniques and styles and I basically just pick and choose what I like.

They don't seem to put a lot of people on probation from what I've seen but people have been dismissed. As long as you're a responsible adult you'll be fine. Don't start ****, be dependable and study at least a little bit and you'll make it.

I think the overall atmosphere is pretty positive. All the residents seems to get along pretty well. New PD makes changes when residents really feel strongly about something like bringing back the post post call day for ICU rotation. Hearing positives about Cardiac on Statin Island from Seniors. Most of us went out for drinks after the ITE on Saturday. We had a regional workshop tonight too that went over upper/lower extremity blocks using a couple volunteers with subs and soda.

NYC is tough but if you keep your chin up you'll make it out and can be confident you can practice anywhere.

You blocked a couple of volunteers?

Thanks- who has been dismissed? Ca-1s? Where do most residents live and how do they commute there? Thanks. What hospital are you at the most?

You blocked a couple of volunteers?

We identified landmarks on a bunch of different types of blocks. No we didn't actually block anyone haha.

Thanks- who has been dismissed? Ca-1s? Where do most residents live and how do they commute there? Thanks. What hospital are you at the most?

I probably shouldn't get into any details regarding dismissal. it's rare though and I haven't seen it first hand. Most residents live in the park slope or prospect heights area. The rest are scattered around Brooklyn and lower Manhattan. If you don't have a car you want a place near the 4/5 or 2/3 train for easy access to downstate/kings county.

During CA1 you are mostly at downstate and Lutheran. CA2/3 seems more for kings county but as a CA1 you take call at all three locations. Lutheran is a great place to work at and we are really fortunate to have it as a location. The turnover is fast but the attendings help out a lot and they want you to succeed. It's really good insight into private practice life.

Hope this helps and good luck!

The former program director is now chair of the department. Several of the better attendings (there are few, but these are the ones you have as Facebook friends) have left to better places over the past 1-2 years.

It was mentioned in a prior post ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/review-of-anesthesia-program-at-suny-downstate.728717/ ) that there were lawsuits against the program. For a long time I wasn't able to verify the claim. But whispers passed over time, and this one was found:

http://www.leagle.com/decision/2007826502FSupp2d324_1790.xml/FLEMING v. STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK

You really have it out for Downstate, don't you? Almost every post you have written is against the institution...

I met the particular person he seems to be having the problem with and she seemed very pleasant. From my understanding, this person is very "old school," and that tends to rub some people the wrong way. Personally, that's how the majority of my medical school was with that old school type of faculty, so it doesn't bother me.

The former program director is now chair of the department. Several of the better attendings (there are few, but these are the ones you have as Facebook friends) have left to better places over the past 1-2 years.

It was mentioned in a prior post ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/review-of-anesthesia-program-at-suny-downstate.728717/ ) that there were lawsuits against the program. For a long time I wasn't able to verify the claim. But whispers passed over time, and this one was found:

http://www.leagle.com/decision/2007826502FSupp2d324_1790.xml/FLEMING v. STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK

?? cottreel stepped down?

When is the sub specialty training done? Is any done Ca1 year? Is Ca3 year mostly elective time? Thanks.

Many other good progs you'll qualify for in NYC. Browse some of the other gas threads on sdn and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited: