Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate June 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Overall: 3.81
Pre-req: 3.85

Outstanding courses: Gen Psych (taking this spring)
Observation Hours: 150
Relevant work experience: sp.ed teacher assistant

And my status says: faculty screener3, it's been like 3 weeks, any changes, any notes from admission

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know about how many people apply and how many people actually get interviewed?

Hi all. I, too, decided to join this thread after a lot of stalking. Just wondering what the status of interviews is so far. My application still says "sent to committee" and hasn't changed since November. Just curious when these rolling interviews will end. It's really frustrating because I feel like I am a very strong candidate (already have a master's degree in Psychology and years of clinical work experience, as well as a publication in a medical journal). Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
At my interview she said 400-500 applied and up to 300 get interviewed.
Wow, that is a large number of people who get an interview. Makes me way more nervous now.
Plus, on the applyyourself website my status still says "Interview Scheduled" even though I had my interview several weeks ago; I am hoping and praying for the best.
Good luck to all!

At my interview she said 400-500 applied and up to 300 get interviewed.

Did you specifically ask how many people get interviewed or did she just casually mention it? Just interested in hearing the context in which that came up. Also I feel like 300 people is a lot. I would like to think the interview process is at least somewhat selective.

@jkr566, it came up in the context of me asking what differentiates a candidate who gets accepted from a candidate who gets waitlisted and she proceeded to tell me 1.) how competitive it is, and then listed those numbers, and 2.) how the faculty really has no say in who gets accepted. She explained that they give a recommendation based on the interview but then the file gets passed around to all these other committees of people who make the final decision. And the faculty most of the time doesn't even know who gets accepted or rejected until June when the new cohort actually starts.
:/

I know, it's not encouraging

@hopefulot234, don't get too nervous just yet! How do you feel your interview went? Who did you meet with?

Also don't forget, they let people who are rejected know right away so the fact that you haven't heart anything is kinda good ;)

@hopefulot234, don't get too nervous just yet! How do you feel your interview went? Who did you meet with?

Also don't forget, they let people who are rejected know right away so the fact that you haven't heart anything is kinda good ;)
Last year , from what I read on these posts, some students didnt get an interview until march, and then they got a letter on their mail saying they got rejected.. So i think they dont always notify students early ! Im so nervous:(

Got an interview offer last night for Feb 8th :)

i was accepted!!! so excited!!! very surprised the decision came only a week after my interview. feels unreal! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

i was accepted!!! so excited!!! very surprised the decision came only a week after my interview. feels unreal! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!
That's amazing, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
How did you receive notification of acceptance? Via E-mail?

Congrats again!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's amazing, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
How did you receive notification of acceptance? Via E-mail?

Congrats again!

Thank you!! yup, it was an email. The email will say " your decision is now available..." and then there will be a link to your application.

i think someone asked my stats earlier sorry i forgot to respond!
Undergrad: 3.54
Volunteer Hours: 240 total: 75 hours peds, 165 hours hospital setting (inpatient, tbi, and outpatient was mostly hand clinic)
Relevant work experience: 4 years after school teacher for kids with autism, ran social skills after school program for teens with aspergers

Thank you!! yup, it was an email. The email will say " your decision is now available..." and then there will be a link to your application.

i think someone asked my stats earlier sorry i forgot to respond!
Undergrad: 3.54
Volunteer Hours: 240 total: 75 hours peds, 165 hours hospital setting (inpatient, tbi, and outpatient was mostly hand clinic)
Relevant work experience: 4 years after school teacher for kids with autism, ran social skills after school program for teens with aspergers

Congratulations!!! That's great news! I hope that means there will be more acceptances soon :)

Oh my goodness, congrats!!! Was this your first time applying?

How important is the essay relative to the interview (25% essay 75% interview or 50/50)? Would you think a bad essay could prevent you from being accepted, if everything else in the application and interview was good? :unsure:

Last edited:
How important is the essay relative to the interview (25% essay 75% interview or 50/50)? Would you think a bad essay could prevent you from being accepted, if everything else in the application and interview was good? :unsure:

Btw my stats are 3.2 undergraduate gpa (15 years ago), last 60 undergraduate GPA 3.96, master's degree gpa 4.0, prerequisite gpa 4.0, 250+ hours of OT in pediatric clinic, school, hand therapist, and geriatrics. Good recommendations from 1 graduate professors, 1 employer, 1 OT. Almost 15 years work experience in helping professions: as teacher, residential counselor for disabled adults, and social worker.
Volunteered extensively abroad unrelated to OT (Mother Teresa's orphanage in India, With the street children of Rio, etc)
Volunteered 2 years with AmeriCorps in an impoverished community in US after college.
Thats impressive! What essay are you referring to? The one on your application or the one on your interview?

Thats impressive! What essay are you referring to? The one on your application or the one on your interview?

The application essay I was happy with... it was the article summary/essay that I messed up on before the interview. Do you think it's enough to cause a rejection? :nailbiting:

The application essay I was happy with... it was the article summary/essay that I messed up on before the interview. Do you think it's enough to cause a rejection? :nailbiting:
I think you will get accepted. When i was volunteering in a school, one of the OT students said that his essay was really bad .. He wrote "im sorry" at the end of the paper after he was done, thats how bad he thought it was loll He got accepted by Suny Downstate.

I think you will get accepted. When i was volunteering in a school, one of the OT students said that his essay was really bad .. He wrote "im sorry" at the end of the paper after he was done, thats how bad he thought it was loll He got accepted by Suny Downstate.

Hahaha, that's funny! I was tempted to do the same. :rofl: I'm glad it sounds like they can be lenient on the essay. Thanks for the info and optimism @otprogram that helps put my mind at ease. I really appreciate it :D

I didn't love mine EITHER! What was your question? The second part of mine was rather confusing and I didn't know how to address it. And also I ran out of space on the page haha!

Has anyone else been accepted yet, or heard of more acceptances?

I am still on "interview scheduled" on the applyyourself website even though my interview was almost 3 weeks ago. Is anyone else in the same boat? I feel like this might be a bad sign :(

Stay positive! That's what I'm trying at least. All we know of is the one acceptance on here. There's still plenty of time and space to accept people and also, some people on here didn't get accepted until APRIL on the last round!!!

But I know, the wait is killing me too. :/

Stay positive! That's what I'm trying at least. All we know of is the one acceptance on here. There's still plenty of time and space to accept people and also, some people on here didn't get accepted until APRIL on the last round!!!

But I know, the wait is killing me too. :/
Thanks for being so sweet :) I'm trying to stay positive but ugh it's just so nerve-wracking!! Let me know if you hear anything!!

Is there anyone who didnt even receive an interview yet?

Not sure... I'm also wondering, has anyone's status changed from Faculty Screener1 -> Faculty Screener2 or something like that?

Has anyone else been accepted yet, or heard of more acceptances?

I am still on "interview scheduled" on the applyyourself website even though my interview was almost 3 weeks ago. Is anyone else in the same boat? I feel like this might be a bad sign :(

I'm in the same boat... mine still says "interview scheduled" with no new updates. Uggggg :depressed: Is faculty screener the next step or is it just random?

I'm in the same boat... mine still says "interview scheduled" with no new updates. Uggggg :depressed: Is faculty screener the next step or is it just random?
If you don't mind me asking, who did you interview with?

Before I actually had my interview (but after I got an invite for it) my status was faculty screener1 and still is

I had an interview with an alumni recently. After my interview, my interviewer said that they wanted me to meet Dr. Desport. I went into her office and we had about a 5 minute conversation that seemed to go well. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know would this could mean?

Reactions: 1 users
I had an interview with an alumni recently. After my interview, my interviewer said that they wanted me to meet Dr. Desport. I went into her office and we had about a 5 minute conversation that seemed to go well. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know would this could mean?
Wow you must've had an impressive conversation with your interviewer! What did you and Dr. Desport speak about?

Just about why I wanted to do OT, my experiences related to OT and stuff like that.

My interview was with an alumni as well. I think it was a very good sign that you were introduced to Dr. Desport. I was told she makes the final decision on who gets in. I'm pretty sure that means you stood out a lot and the alumni wanted to make sure you got noticed by her so that you would definitely get accepted! Congratulations!!!! Sounds like you did great :) Let us know if your status changes soon!

Thanks everyone I hope we all get in! And my status still says interview scheduled as of now.

Reactions: 1 users
hey guys, i'm not sure if the "faculty screener-what-have-you" makes a difference really, mine never even said "interview scheduled" i don't think. i went back to the thread from last year and it looks like most people started to hear back in mid february through late march, so hopefully you guys should be hearing back starting in about a week or two. i know the suspense was killing me last year, i had interviewed with an alumni around late january and didn't hear back until the end of march. when the status says "return to common rev." or something like that then you will have your answer in a couple of days. good luck to you all! i want to start a facebook group for our class, and this is the only place i know of to find other students, so i can't wait to talk to my new classmates!

So is it possible that some of our statuses will never change to the faculty screener #?

So is it possible that some of our statuses will never change to the faculty screener #?

based on my experience, i would say prob not. i think mine went straight from faculty screener 1 or 2 to a decision. mine never said interview scheduled.

anyone hear back? curious where everyone will be commuting from. i currently live in queens but it's an hour commute so we want to live closer but brooklyn rents are insane!

Does anyone know if who interviews you means anything, i.e, is there a difference between being interviewed by a faculty member vs an alumnus?
Thanks!

Does anyone know if who interviews you means anything, i.e, is there a difference between being interviewed by a faculty member vs an alumnus?
Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing...

I was also wondering if who interviewed you made any difference. Also for people who were accepted did you get a formal decision letter by email? Or did the email just say a decision is available and you had to go to your application to see if you were accepted?

I had my interview more than a month ago. I'm getting so impatient. This waiting is the worst!!

I had my interview more than a month ago. I'm getting so impatient. This waiting is the worst!!
Coming up on one month for me as well.
Two questions for you, if you don't mind:
1) What is your status on the apply yourself website (i.e, interview scheduled or faculty screener X)
2) Did you interview with a faculty member or an alumnus?

Thanks and good luck! :)

Coming up on one month for me as well.
Two questions for you, if you don't mind:
1) What is your status on the apply yourself website (i.e, interview scheduled or faculty screener X)
2) Did you interview with a faculty member or an alumnus?

Thanks and good luck! :)
My status is faculty screener 1 (I don't think it ever even said "interview scheduled"). I interviewed with Dr. Elenko