Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate June 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How bad is it that my status still says interview scheduled? Does that mean no one is even reviewing my application? I wish I knew what all these statuses meant and that I actually checked my status before the interview was scheduled.

Members don't see this ad.

How bad is it that my status still says interview scheduled? Does that mean no one is even reviewing my application? I wish I knew what all these statuses meant and that I actually checked my status before the interview was scheduled.
I'm nervous too because mine still says the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, unfortunately I never checked.
Who interviewed you?
I interviewed with an alumni. What about you? Maybe who interviewed you has something to do with how fast your status gets updated.

I interviewed with an alumni. What about you? Maybe who interviewed you has something to do with how fast your status gets updated.
I'm hoping that's the case - I interviewed with Dr. Desport

My status still says Interview scheduled and I met with an alumni too :yawn:

I'm hoping they look at them in batches or something and just haven't gotten up to us yet

Reactions: 1 user
I'm hoping they look at them in batches or something and just haven't gotten up to us yet
I really hope so too.
Let's do our best to keep everyone on here posted with any possible updates!
Good luck all!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi after much lurking also decided to make an account. I have my interview scheduled for 2/17 and am getting pretty nervous. Besides the general interview questions what do they generally ask? and for those who have had interviews what questions did you ask them? I feel like I should probably memorize them so i dont nervously forget everything

Write it all down, you'll do fine! All the question you would expect - why OT, what experiences you've had, challenges, goals, etc.

You'll do great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I googled "Ot program interview questions" and practiced ALL of them to get ready. It really helped

I don't think you have to memorize your questions... I had written them down on a post-it note and then pulled it out at the end because I wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything. I didn't feel like it was a super formal interview. It was pretty laid back compared to other interviews I've had so don't stress. Just be yourself and you will do great! :)

Does anyone know how applicants are evaluated? Some schools go off the last 60 credits GPA and some go off cumulative undergraduate GPA and some take your graduate GPA (if you have another Master's degree). I don't remember them discussing that in the information session.

Does anyone know how applicants are evaluated? Some schools go off the last 60 credits GPA and some go off cumulative undergraduate GPA and some take your graduate GPA (if you have another Master's degree). I don't remember them discussing that in the information session.

From what one of the students told me at the information session they look at your overall undergrad GPA and your prerequisite GPA They also look at the letters of recommendations and your experience in the feild. Previous posts from other years said they really like it when you have experience in different settings. Not sure what else and how much each category is valued. Hope this helps!

Yes, that's definitely helpful @reenot :) It makes sense, thank you! Did anyone else hear anything different? :writer:

Last edited:
@reenot has an interview for 2/17 so I doubt we would hear back before they are done with their interviews... they might not finish until end of the month? :whistle:

Last edited:
Did anyones status that said interview scheduled change to faculty screener #?

@reenot has an interview for 2/17 so I doubt we would hear back before they are done with their interviews... they might not finish until end of the month? :whistle:

Except that they did accept @QueensHopeful before they finished all of our interviews :/ I kind of have this feeling it's a bit of a rolling process. ie they accept 10 people, wait two weeks to see who pays the deposit, accept 10 more people, etc, until all 32+ spots are filled with people committed to attending.

Except that they did accept @QueensHopeful before they finished all of our interviews :/ I kind of have this feeling it's a bit of a rolling process. ie they accept 10 people, wait two weeks to see who pays the deposit, accept 10 more people, etc, until all 32+ spots are filled with people committed to attending.
I have a feeling you might be right. I kind have just given up hope at this point lol. If I get in it will be a pleasant surprise.

You guys may be right... I was hoping that they just made a few exceptions for reapplicants but Idk :shrug:

Last edited:
also i am totally confused as to why i was excepted so early and kept thinking it was some kind of mistake! but i agree, i think there must be something different for reapplicants.

I got accepted!!!!!! Received the same email as @QueensHopeful - still can't believe it!!! When I went for my interview I was told that I would hear a answer sometime around mid-march so this was so surprising to hear back so early! I am also having trouble accessing my checklist... There must be something wrong with the spelunker website.
Also, is there a Facebook group that has been created yet??

I got accepted!!!!!! Received the same email as @QueensHopeful - still can't believe it!!! When I went for my interview I was told that I would hear a answer sometime around mid-march so this was so surprising to hear back so early! I am also having trouble accessing my checklist... There must be something wrong with the spelunker website.
Wow congratsSsssss!!!! I'm wondering how many people got accepted so far. When and with whom did you interview if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats!!!! Do you know what your status was on the "applyyourself" website before you received the e-mail? Also, are you a first time applicant?

Thank you!!!!! I had my interview on Jan 28th with Dr. Sabari- that might have something to do with my early acceptance since I know she's like the dean of the program. On my "applyyourself" page it said faculty screener 7 from the time that I found out i had an interview until I was accepted. And yes I am a first time applicant :)

Thank you!!!!! I had my interview on Jan 28th with Dr. Sabari- that might have something to do with my early acceptance since I know she's like the dean of the program. On my "applyyourself" page it said faculty screener 7 from the time that I found out i had an interview until I was accepted. And yes I am a first time applicant :)
Thanks for all the info. Again, congrats!

Thanks, Gooduck everyone!!! hope to see you all in June ! Keep updating in this forum!

Congratulations @OT2016:) !!! :highfive:Hopefully more acceptances are on the way!:claps:

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? Just curious.

Should I be nervous that I interviewed before @OT2016:) and still haven't heard anything? Eeek
I don't think you should be nervous, I think it has a lot to do with who interviewed you and it's still really early !
My stats are:
Undergrad gpa 3.92
Pre-req gpa 3.9
OT experience: volunteer in a school based setting, private setting, and Maimonides hospital inptient and outpatient (around 300+ hours total)

CONGRATS!!! yayy!! so excited for you! i checked to see if there was a facebook page yet but there's not, i know it was a started by a student last year so if you want to do it!
spelunker is back up and running now it looks like. also it seems to take a long time for it to update, and when you have a question for admissions, since this must be such a busy time, i have found it much easier to call them.
anyway, congrats!!! excited to meet!

CONGRATS!!! yayy!! so excited for you! i checked to see if there was a facebook page yet but there's not, i know it was a started by a student last year so if you want to do it!
spelunker is back up and running now it looks like. also it seems to take a long time for it to update, and when you have a question for admissions, since this must be such a busy time, i have found it much easier to call them.
anyway, congrats!!! excited to meet!
Thanks so much !!! And thanks for the advice :) looking forward to meeting you also!!

I don't think you should be nervous, I think it has a lot to do with who interviewed you and it's still really early !
My stats are:
Undergrad gpa 3.92
Pre-req gpa 3.9
OT experience: volunteer in a school based setting, private setting, and Maimonides hospital inptient and outpatient (around 300+ hours total)

Wow... Impressive stats!!! I think you would pretty much get accepted everywhere:claps:Congrats again!

Is anyone else's status still interview scheduled? This is agonizing!!!

Has anyone heard back from Columbia or NYU?

To the two lucky applicants who got accepted - when was the deadline for deposit?

To the two lucky applicants who got accepted - when was the deadline for deposit?
I didn't hear back from nyu or Columbia yet. I believe we had 2 weeks from when we got our acceptance to give the deposit but I'm not sure I did it right away didn't want to risk anything.

Thanks, that is helpful! Just trying to gauge when they may accept a new group...

:( I guess you guys were right... they're most likely accepting in batches. I would guess the program is pretty much full by now.

If you look at last years downstate thread a lot of people didn't find out they got accepted until mid march so I'm hoping thats the case here.

Reactions: 2 users